Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Entirely TMI- though I also have some questions for low BMI sleevers... help?

1. RuthlessRia
    RuthlessRia
    Greetings and salutations my fellow itty bitty BMIs!!

Embarking on a new chapter of life and hoping to receive some much needed advice based on your own unique experience.
    Surgery set on May 1st with Dr. Almanza. Originally a BMI of 39.7- until my mother had been diagnosed 2 years ago with a combination of high bp and cholesterol, hypertension, and diabetes leading her to continue life with dialysis. A recent college grad with huge amount of student loans and new career- had to put my life on hold to take care of my mother. Without a doubt- do it all over again and again. You only have one mom- that's it. Quit my new job, broke my apt lease, take care of my mom during the days and waitress nights. Took a huge toll on me financially, physically, and emotionally. Kept yo-yo on the weight, drinking a lot, and most of all- terrified for my own life knowing sometimes we're just born with poor health genetics and accept the accountability to embrace change and take ownership- which is never easy when food was always there to comfort our stresses and disappointments throughout life.
    Determined to get my all time high 237#/5'1 frame in check- searched the vsg procedure for years and compiled a harsh reality of the costs and the numerous complications post surgery with a high BMI. With no health insurance, I knew I had to save as much money waitressing and get the weight down. Absolutely no money for any type of revision surgeries- especially in the States. With countless diets and local park workouts- got my BMI down to 32. My mom was my true and main motivation to leave a healthy, positive life and the plus+++ got her down 50#. Now that I've come clean- I'm hoping y'all can help me out.

From reading previous posts- is it true you develop post-op acid reflux? I've rarely had acid reflex issues and wanted to hear it from another low BMI sleever if this happened to you?
    - How were you able to remove your stitches? Was self removal painful? Or would you advise leaving it to a professional?
    - Packing --compression socks to prevent blood blots? Ive grown to love walking- are they necessary? High priority items? --I've jot down Chapstick, loose comfy yoga pants, roomy zip hoodie, bikini top to support the girls, 2-3 boxes of gas x strips, 2-3 g2 frost Gatorade bottles,travel pillow. Some cash for tipping. Did any of y'all bring a tablet? Since I'm going solo- did you feel your valuables were safe? Ie passport, cash, phone etc.
    --Backpack or small luggage to pull and store overhead? Just not sure what's easier on the body post-op and not hassling someone on the plane to store it overhead and also bring it down after landing-- maybe I need to make a friend at the gate lol
    Boy! This is a long one. Sorry. If you've read this through- thank you for your time. I appreciate you reading this raw, vulnerable, and naked spill of some harsh, life-changing lessons of a chapter ready to be closed. Hope to start this new one with you. Thanks again.
  2. minnni
    minnni
    Don't need to bring Gatorade.. You could go down the block and pick one up from the store... and you will only need one Gatorade.. probably won't even finish one. Travel light. I personally checked my bags, because I didn't want to deal with putting overhead. Acid reflux is not that bad... I was taking Pepcid AC pill twice, but now I'm down to one and acid reflux has been getting better... it's only worse in the morning and at night I'm actually been able to sleep flat. It took about 4 weeks to get to this point. I went solo and I felt totally safe with cash, passport, and phone.
    I was able to have my Primary doctor remove my stitches and she did say that they stitched it really tight so it would of been difficult for me to do it.
    My BMI was 36 and now I'm 32 at 4 weeks and have lost total of 28 lbs.
    You will be fine.. Enjoy the journey.
  3. RuthlessRia
    RuthlessRia
    Thank you minnni! Congrats on your weight loss and I appreciate your info- truly assuring words.
  4. SomeGuyJeff
    SomeGuyJeff
    "maybe I need to make a friend at the gate lol"

many agents at the gate are more than happy to help you board early and get your bag up for you. just tell the gate agent you need to preboard for medical reasons and they are very happy to accommodate. i fly enough to have this routine down and fortunately was able to send my wife and myself out there on points...

she said if youre used to your pillow - bring it and also an extension cord (like those cheap ones from walmart) for your phone/ipad charger or heating pad.
  5. RuthlessRia
    RuthlessRia
    Awesome tips, Jeff. Thank you so much.