Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Fellow low BMIs- post acid reflex issues, packing advice, stitches removal- help 😥

1. RuthlessRia
    RuthlessRia
    Greetings and salutations my fellow itty bitty BMIs!!

Embarking on a new chapter of life and hoping to receive some much needed advice based on your own unique experience.
    Surgery set on May 1st with Dr. Almanza. Originally a BMI of 39.7- until my mother had been diagnosed 2 years ago with a combination of high bp and cholesterol, hypertension, and diabetes leading her to continue life with dialysis. A recent college grad with huge amount of student loans and new career- had to put my life on hold to take care of my mother. Without a doubt- do it all over again and again. You only have one mom- that's it. Quit my new job, broke my apt lease, take care of my mom during the days and waitress nights. Took a huge toll on me financially, physically, and emotionally. Kept yo-yo on the weight, drinking a lot, and most of all- terrified for my own life knowing sometimes we're just born with poor health genetics and accept the accountability to embrace change and take ownership- which is never easy when food was always there to comfort our stresses and disappointments throughout life.
    Determined to get my all time high 237#/5'1 frame in check- searched the vsg procedure for years and compiled a harsh reality of the costs and the numerous complications post surgery with a high BMI. With no health insurance, I knew I had to save as much money waitressing and get the weight down. Absolutely no money for any type of revision surgeries- especially in the States. With countless diets and local park workouts- got my BMI down to 32. My mom was my true and main motivation to leave a healthy, positive life and the plus+++ got her down 50#. Now that I've come clean- I'm hoping y'all can help me out.

From reading previous posts- is it true you develop post-op acid reflux? I've rarely had acid reflex issues and wanted to hear it from another low BMI sleever if this happened to you?
    - How were you able to remove your stitches? Was self removal painful? Or would you advise leaving it to a professional?
    - Packing --compression socks to prevent blood blots? Ive grown to love walking- are they necessary? High priority items? --I've jot down Chapstick, loose comfy yoga pants, roomy zip hoodie, bikini top to support the girls, 2-3 boxes of gas x strips, 2-3 g2 frost Gatorade bottles,travel pillow. Some cash for tipping. Did any of y'all bring a tablet? Since I'm going solo- did you feel your valuables were safe? Ie passport, cash, phone etc.
    --Backpack or small luggage to pull and store overhead? Just not sure what's easier on the body post-op and not hassling someone on the plane to store it overhead and also bring it down after landing-- maybe I need to make a friend at the gate lol
    Boy! This is a long one. Sorry. If you've read this through- thank you for your time. I appreciate you reading this raw, vulnerable, and naked spill of some harsh, life-changing lessons of a chapter ready to be closed. Hope to start this new one with you. Thanks again. 😘
  2. denzel
    denzel
    Welcome Ruthless Ria!

First, you have to be acknowledged for all you have achieved, for yourself and for your Mum.
    I agree with you, you only have one mum.

OK, my situation is different to yours in that I had surgery done in the same city that I am, so had transport there and back (car).

But I'll try to help out here where I can:

"From reading previous posts- is it true you develop post-op acid reflux? I've rarely had acid reflex issues and wanted to hear it from another low BMI sleever if this happened to you?"
    No, this is not true for the vast majority of sleevers. You will also probably be given medication to take post-op while your stomach is healing.

- "How were you able to remove your stitches? Was self removal painful? Or would you advise leaving it to a professional?"
    Didn't need to, stitches were internal. On the surface they were dissolvable and he used tissue glue + dressings.
    But I have removed stitches from myself before.

- "Packing --compression socks to prevent blood blots? Ive grown to love walking- are they necessary? High priority items? --I've jot down Chapstick, loose comfy yoga pants, roomy zip hoodie, bikini top to support the girls, 2-3 boxes of gas x strips, 2-3 g2 frost Gatorade bottles,travel pillow. Some cash for tipping. Did any of y'all bring a tablet? Since I'm going solo- did you feel your valuables were safe? Ie passport, cash, phone etc."
    [/I][/I]
    All of the above + a book, toiletries, jammies (separates), normal medication, herbal tea bags. I went into a private hospital in Perth, Western Australia.

"Backpack or small luggage to pull and store overhead? Just not sure what's easier on the body post-op and not hassling someone on the plane to store it overhead and also bring it down after landing-- maybe I need to make a friend at the gate lol"
    I had a carry on bag on wheels, + a bag with my pillows, + a large shoulder bag + CPAP.

All the best!
  3. RuthlessRia
    RuthlessRia
    Thank you for this much needed input. Do appreciate you taking your time and the reassuring words. Congrats on your weightloss!!