Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Need Some Reassurance

1. Minnesnowta
    Minnesnowta
    Hello Community and thank you so much for starting this site for Sistahs!

I am scheduled for surgery the day before my 43rd bday. I had Gastric bypass surgery 10 years ago and I at my heaviest weight since going from 242lbs to 155lbs. Now I am 190 and so scared that I will not be able to maintain so I have decided to be proactive before I beat myself from feeling like a failure. I sure could use some reassurance of my decision. BTW, my surgery is scheduled for March 19th.

Anybody done the lap band after gastric? Do you recommend the sleeve instead?
  2. Charmaina
    Charmaina
    I personally believe the sleeve is the best option. The band is only going to do what the bypass does. There's no turning back once you get sleeve. How tall or you? You said you weight is 190 right now, maybe you can jump start your weight loss by starting the diet over. Lot of protein and water.
  3. Rosepetals65
    Rosepetals65
    i had the band in 2010 and found ways to eat around it (slider foods) now i headed for the sleeve; it will work for you provided you remember it is just a tool and you have to do the work.... i forgot that ... thank god for 2nd chances.
  4. Jmichelle
    Jmichelle
    Charmaina has a good suggestion. starting over with lots of protein and water. I considered the band first, then was turned off by having a device surgically implanted, the possibility of having to get the band adjusted from time to time.
  5. BillyJ
    BillyJ
    I recommend the sleeve. When I went in for surgery there were 3 other patients going in who had the bands done but due to problems or lack of real weight loss they opted to be sleeved. Don't they take the majority of stomach out with gastric bypass? What will they be sleeving? I honestly have never heard of this. Please keep us informed on your progress.
  6. Redd
    Redd
    They take 80% of your stomach and leave the 20% which is shaped like a standing banana.
  7. Minnesnowta
    Minnesnowta
    Hi Ladies

Thank you all for your reply. I had Gastric 11 years ago and was successful until this past year. Lost of stress and dealing with major depression. I am getting help but know I need to do this lapland to keep the quality of life I have worked hard for, for the past 10 years. It's my 43rd bday present to myself. I leave on Wed and will have surgery the 19th, day before my bday and the first day of spring. That's gotta be a winning combination.