Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Post -Op

1. denzel
    denzel
    OK, let us all know how you are going.

I was sleeved at about 1700 on Monday 2nd Feb 2015.

Had persistent nausea, uncomfortable epigastric area and stomach 'spasming' every time I tried to take a tiny, tiny sip.
    Chucked up a few times.
    Didn't sleep 'cos I'm a crap sleeper, was in hospital for two night and didn't have any pain relief except for some IV anti inflammatories and oral liquid paracetamol.

Discharged at approx. 1 1/2 days.
    Happy to be home.
    Doing all normal activities of daily living, walking locally, driving, housework etc.

I'm having problems drinking fluids in the am, I'm guessing that it is all just down to inflammation and swelling.
    By the afternoon I'm OK.

This is my schedule (nominally):
    Did you see a dietitian pre-op? and do lots of reading beforehand?, and buy resources e.g. books?

This is what I have bought:
    "Weight Loss Surgery Cookbook for Dummies" and
    "The Complete Weight-Loss Surgery Guide & Diet Program Includes 150 Delicious and Nutritious Recipes"
    "Portion Perfection for Bariatrics. Seeing is Believing" by Amanda Clark, and
    "Your Complete Guide to Nutrition for Weight Loss Surgery 2nd ed." by Sally Johnston.

I also bought a bariatric bowl and plate to help with portion sizes. You can get them on ebay.

This is the schedule that I have been given by the dietitian:
    Day 1 Post Op - Clear fluids, no more than 50 ml every 20-30 mins
    Day 2 to Day 14 Post surgery: Full Fluids
    Not using a straw, the fluids must be liquid enough to pass through a straw.
    Start with just a teaspoon
    No more than 1/2 cup at a time.
    Avoid carbonated beverages or allow to go flat.
    Can have thin custards and yoghurt - low fat, smooth soups, low fat milk, milkshakes and smoothies,
    Milky high protein nutritional supplements such as 'Optifast'

Weeks 3 and 4 Post Surgery: Puree Diet
    Mushy/puree consistency similar to baby's first foods
    1/4 cup, no more than 1/2 cup. This can increase over weeks 7 and 8 and no more than 1 cup
    Include high quality protein sources at each meal and eat them first.
    Can include protein-based meal replacements e.g. Optifast
    Chew foods very well.
    Separate meals from fluids. Allow 20-30 minutes before and after meals to slowly sip fluids
    Avoid eggs until week 5 to avoid potential discomfort.
    foods can include:
    Smooth low fat yoghurt/milk
    Reduced fat ricotta/cotrtage cheese
    Pureed fruit
    Thin porridge/semolina
    Mashed/pureed vegetable/lentils/legumes
    Blended casseroles with meat, chicken, fish, legumes, vegetables, rice, pasta

I see the dietitian again 2/52 post-op and then commence special multivitamin supplements.
    I see the surgeon in about 3/52.
  2. JenniferS
    JenniferS
    Just had surgery on 2/6 and my doctor has a 4 week liquid diet for the 1st stage, then another 4 weeks of soft foods before being released to eat what you want (within reason). I have been drinking protein shakes, broth and started making smoothies yesterday because I an already tell this is going to be a LOOOOOOONG 4 weeks. I am not hungry I just want savory foods.
  3. athertonhess
    athertonhess
    I'm also on the full liquid diet, similar to what Denzel described. I was missing savory foods, too, because that's generally my "go to". I bought some hummus recently and was able to eat it and keep it down with little to no stomach discomfort. It was so nice! My constipation went away about three or four days ago, too, and that's lovely.

On the 18th, I'll be cleared for pureed foods. That should open up some nice possibilities for variety.

I'm using bariatric vitamins, and although I thought I was being so smart by purchasing the crystals for the multi-vitamin so I could have them in water, I didn't think about the fact, that it takes me pretty several hours to get a full 8 ounces of fluid down. That's in between meal times! Oh well, at least I know I'm getting my vitamins more than just in the morning, haha!
  4. laelh
    laelh
    I was sleeved on the 3rd. My doctor just had me do one week of liquids. I am on soft foods now - protein and veggies. I wonder why each surgeon has such different guidelines?
  5. Parnett
    Parnett
    I was sleeved on 2/12/15. I was on clear liquids for the first few days. Now I'm on full liquids. I've been sipping on cream soups (chicken and sweet pea). Trying to get at least 1 protein shake in a day. I can tolerate milk no problem. When I'm taking the little sips of soup,(very small sips) I feel discomfort in my stomach. It feels like a bubble of air, then it pops and my stomach settles down until the next sip. Is this normal? Only consuming about 2 ounces at a sitting. I also find myself feeling a need to eat every 2 hours even if it's a sip or two.
  6. SweetPea22
    SweetPea22
    I was sleeved on feb 10 and feel the bubbles of air still as well. On full fluids now and trying to remember to sip water is even a challenge. Hoping in the days to come the bubbles go away .......