Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Meds immediately after. post surgery

1. LumyRainstar
    LumyRainstar
    I have struggled with mental illness since I was a child. I have major depressive disorder and borderline personality disorder. I am now 24, and I'm on some meds that aren't working well, but are working better than other meds I've been on. My question and concern is this. Some of my meds require 400 calories to absorb into my system efficently. If I have this procedure done I know they'll have to change my meds. Also, after you have the surgery are you allowed to take pills? I'm on thyroid, blood pressure, psych, and other meds and I'm concerned about that. Any advice appreciated thanks
  2. dbcassidy
    dbcassidy
    I was able to resume all my anxiety and thyroid medications immediately after the surgery.
    The only issue I've heard of after surgery is that you can no longer take time released pills because of your smaller stomach.

I'm guessing that you have already informed your endocrinologist and psychiatrist of your upcoming surgery and they will be monitoring you. If you haven't been in touch with them regarding your upcoming surgery, you should do so.

I've heard of people that required medication dosage changes after surgery - I did not.
  3. bnk1cs
    bnk1cs
    I would really follow up with your doctors before making a decision about the surgery. Sometimes it can get worse. This surgery isn't always rhe answer to everything.