Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Tell Us About You!

1. denzel
    denzel
    Hi all,

I thought that seeing as we are going to be "sleeve buddies" it would be nice to know a bit about each other, so I'll kick off:

I can't remember what it was that triggered this all off for me, but it would have been around December last year.
    I had slid back into being 'obese' and have medical problems (ME/CFS - CFIDS - + Fibromyalgia + Menieres Disease) + obesity related problems (Upper Airway Resistance Syndrome and use an automatic CPAP) and endometrial hyperplasia.
    With all my medical problems, which had deteriorated over 2014, I just couldn't face extreme dieting again and although I can do limited exercise, I get post-exertional malaise, so couldn't see me ever getting the weight off. *sigh*

Anyway, I started researching in December 2014 what, where, results, benefits, risks etc and I saw my General Practitioner (GP) - I think that you American folk call them your primary? - and got a referral.
    I got an appointment with the Dr who works with the surgeon in December and discussed it, deciding on the sleeve gastrectomy.
    He gave me forms to have blood tests (done) and contact number for dietician.
    I attended an information session by the surgeon, who seemed down to earth and nice in a comfortable way.

Saw the surgeon on the 8th January we also discussed "The MiniMizer Gastric Ring" which I've opted to have MiniMizer Gastric Ring | Bariatric Solutions Australia
    He saw the results from my blood tests taken a while back that were included in the referral from the GP, but didn't see the recent ones, which were all good except for borderline low iron stores.

I see the dietician this coming Wednesday.

I have had Private Health Cover for seven years. We don't have that as part of our salary entitlements. I have top cover and costs > $2,000.00/year, so I will be covered for the hospital charges and part of the surgeons and anaesthetists fee. We also have Medicare which is partly funded from a levy on our income and by the Commonwealth Government - everyone can get this. Will have a gap of $3550.00 to pay.

I am booked into St John of God Murdoch Monday 2nd Feb, admission time 1200.

I am a 51 year old female, around 5' (153.5 cm) and weigh 159 lb (72.12 kg) . BMI = 31.2
    My personal goal weight is 50 kg, 110 lb
  2. athertonhess
    athertonhess
    Hello! You sure got cleared for your surgery fast! I had to wait six months due to insurance requirements, but I finally had it on 2/4/15.

I'm a 43 year old female, 5'3.5", and weighed 240 (I think) when I started. I'm down to 216 now. My personal goal is 130.

I got the surgery because I've struggled with my weight for most of my adult life, especially after I got married. I think I just settled into the groove of "well, I'm married now". I tried all kinds of things, but nothing ever stuck for very long. Then about 7 years ago, we moved from Alaska to Idaho and I work in a high-stress, fast-paced job. I also went to graduate school and I live an hour away from where I work and where I went to school. I didn't have much time for exercise (okay, yeah I did, but I was exhausted!) The pounds just kept adding up and I became discouraged. I couldn't stick with any routine and it was depressing. Two years ago, I decided I was going to have the surgery. I started the process at a "higher end specialty hospital" in Idaho. All they wanted was my money. They didn't do any real coaching on life style change and it was frustrating. I broke the radial head off of the elbow joint on my right arm and had to have surgery, so I stopped going to the "specialty hospital". Last July, I decided I would try again, but this time I would go to the hospital closest to my office. They were so great! I got tons of lifestyle coaching and encouragement. It was clear that they were just as invested in my health as I wanted to be.

I had my surgery, as I said, on 2/4 and I have that hot searing pain in my left side just under one of my major incisions. It hurts when I move certain ways and I have a difficult time getting from sitting to standing. I understand, from reading the posts here, that this is normal and the pain will go away. It's just frustrating knowing there are a lot of things I can't do right now. I can't even do laundry! (That's okay, though, because my unemployed adult son helps out when I ask him to and my husband is terrific).

I have my first post-op appointment on the 18th and I'm pretty excited. I'll return to work on the 19th and I know there is a lot to be done at the office, but I've got to make my health a priority and stick with it.

So nice to meet you and all of the people here. It's nice knowing we are all going through this together.
  3. laelh
    laelh
    I'm Lael. I'm 45, married, work from home , mom of 5. I've been overweight since puberty and tried everything. It was my health that really pushed me to get the sleeve. I have five sweet kids and I want to be around to see my grandchildren some day. I had surgery Feb 3. Day of surgery, I was 247. Down 15 so far. The liquids days were hard. Happy to be on soft foods now. Recovery is going well, although I dry heave every morning and fill nauseated for a few hours. The rest of the day, I feel great. Post -op visit today, they said just give it a little time ad it will pass.
  4. denzel
    denzel
    Nice to meet you folks!

I had my surgery 2nd Feb, which was uneventful and had the usual pot-op nausea etc etc.
    Didn't give myself much time for recovery as I have a house to pack up/dispose/donate/give away/sell stuff and get the jhouse presentable to put on the Market.
    Done!
    I have had two Open Homes, but no offers.

Since my op 3 1/2 weeks ago I have lost 6 kg.
    I saw the surgeon last Saturday - he was happy with my progress, and the dietician on the Monday and she was happy as well.
    She has given me the long term goal of 53 kg +/- 3 kg.
    Her method for working out your ideal weight is height in cm - 100 = weight in kg.

I'm on a fairly strict regimen post-op as far as food goes:
    2 weeks post op fluids
    2 weeks puree
    2 weeks soft food
    then food. I'll make another appt to see the dietician before then to get some guidelines.

Some days and times I can eat more than others.
    I have had Dumping Syndrome a few times - just nasty - and get acute leg pain with it - Fibromyalgia.
    But apart from that, all good.
    And down clothes size +.
    No regrets!