Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Are the Qualifications in Mex Different than USA?

1. Rjc0704
    Rjc0704
    Hi all -

I am reserching GS with optional single Incision LS in Puerto Vallarta Mexico (Dr Castaneda). I do not qualify in USA because my BMI is 30 and I have no significant weigh-related health issues (other than potential sleep ap). I've completed the questionaire and waiting for response, but curious if anyone knows the qualifying guidelines.

How do you manage post-op checkups, etc?
    How long before you traveled home after surgery? If I do this, I will be flying to/from Illinois, probably alone.
  2. judyvsgx2
    judyvsgx2
    Mexico allows for smaller BMI, and with no real issues they should really want you! Good luck in your journey!
  3. Luann
    Luann
    I think a lot of it is if you are private pay, not going through insurance, then you bypass much of the weight and comorbidity requirements. I imagine it is up to the individual surgeons. I heard even in Mexico, some surgeons would not have taken me at a BMI of just under 30. Even though in Japan a 25 BMI qualifies for weight loss surgery (I am of Japanese & Caucasian descent). I was checked after losing so much weight, when my BMI was 21. And found to be pre-diabetic! But I was known to have some comorbidities at my highest weight.

I haven't needed a lot of post op care, once my post op infection cleared. I had labs drawn & everything was good, although my B12 was way high. I was in Mexico 5 days, I think I left when I was 4 days post op. It was a little hard even though I had a short nonstop flight. You definitely want to avoid connections, I would think. I would advise having someone come with you, if anyone helpful is available. Lots of people do fine on their own but you never know if you will be one of the ones who feels sick or weak post op, & might be helped by having extra support.