Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Dr. Almanza

1. angel782
    angel782
    Scheduled for surgery on the 1/13/15. Getting worried hearing lots of negative things about Dr. Almanza. Anyone with positive things about him and his staff. Getting worried and thinking of canceling.
  2. newlookonlife
    newlookonlife
    I went to elias ortiz
  3. Tropical angel
    Tropical angel
    At first I was scheduled with him, but after hearing about that he was doing more than 6 surgeries per day, spoke with some pasts patients some with successful stories ,others with complications that are still going on. I cancelled with him and booked with another one. I felt safer with the other one that just do at max 3 surgeries per day. So , all i have to say is do your search very very very very very well and go with your gut. Good luck
  4. Tropical angel
    Tropical angel
    oops my surgeon will be Dr. quinonez
  5. angel782
    angel782
    Thank you so much for your comments. Don't know what I am going to do..... less than 10 days away and non refundable tickets for my flight. Was hearing such positive things, paid my money and now I am hearing nothing but negative. This is scary enough now I am concerned about my surgeon.
  6. juliehall
    juliehall
    Can you cancel and switch to a different surgeon for the same time? I guess if I were feeling your emotions it would make surgery very stressful, not to mention recovery! I'm dealing with Alma from ready 4 a change she is wonderful and my surgeon is Dr. Garcia. I haven't heard anything bad and I'm very happy with my decision.
  7. Luann
    Luann
    You might be able to switch to a different surgeon who could take you within a reasonable time frame to make the most of your tickets, but that is a lot of pressure to find someone else with little time to research. Losing the airfare is upsetting, but I think in reality you might be better off having time to make the decision / research your surgeon and not rush into it. There is no undoing this, and complications can be serious. I wouldn't want to be in a space where I had to either go in & not feel confident about the situation, or have to scramble to find a different surgeon & team at the last minute.

I went with Dr. Lopez, through Mexico Bariatric Center. He isn't always in Tijuana, he has a schedule where he rotates between a few different cities in Mexico. I feel confident in his skills, absolutely. He was responsible, he has a max of 4 surgeries per day. I was less thrilled about the facility, but maybe I had unrealistic expectations about affordable hospitals in Mexico. I think if I had chosen a facility with a higher price point it might have been different.

My coordinator was Christy, at MBC. She was fantastic. Honest, and professional. She had good things to say about surgeons I was considering that she did not work with. This is the litmus test for me, for coordinators. Some will trash other surgeons and say ridiculous & incredible stories about them, in order to try to steer you towards their surgeon & their business (and their commission). Give her a call, I believe she would give you her honest opinion about Almanza. It may not be as bad as you fear, in any case more information & an opinion from someone who works in the industry is not going to hurt.
  8. deangelia
    deangelia
    I have been going through the same worries.... I haven't paid money yet for that reason. I am sure your experience with Dr Almanza will be fine. You have to remember that he does A LOT of,surgeries and while that may be a negative it is also a positive as well. Also,think about the fact that if he does thousands of surgeries, his odds aren't really any higher of something going wrong it's just eventually you will hear a bad experience. They are all less than 1% ... If a surgeon does 3 surgeries per day, he would do 90 per month. If he does 6 per day he would do 180 per month. Odds will be the same he just does more so it appears that you hear more. I have heard great things about Dr Almanza. I agree with Tropical Angel, and say go with your gut... Whatever that decision is I pray the best for you!!!! ANY surgeon is going to have a few that had a problem, and ANY place you go you will be nervous! It's a very big deal, and a very big life altering surgery. Keep us posted, we are here for you!
  9. RonaB
    RonaB
    If you are that concerned, cancel and get your money bavpck. You won't lose your airfare, just have to change date. Or since you are already to go preop you might find a dr. That can do you during same time frame. I wnt through A lighter Me, but there are several others. I know a few people who have gone through Dr. Almanaza and have had no issues. You have go with your gut. But I know cancelling after 14 days with my company, you lost money too. Search the boards with some recent posts regarding you dr. Go to other forums like bariactric pal too. Everyone's experiences are different. Also call your coordinator and ask how many surgeries he has the same day as you. I did. My dr. Never does more than 4.
  10. BBCorvette18
    BBCorvette18
    Your worrying about nothing. and if you think any of the Dr's in Mexico are only doing a couple procedures a day your naive. Almanza and his staff were great. It was the best choice I had and everything went pretty easy. They pick ya up and take ya everywhere ya need to go. Almanza does do a lot of procedures a day. but I'd much rather have the guy thats doing 10 a day vs the guy whos only doing 3. I'll take experience any day.

When you go in for the day of the procedure try to just relax and stay calm. its a little odd going down stairs and getting on the gurny when you can hear clanks and bangs and spanish talking while you wait to be wheeled into the operating room.
  11. Dawzow
    Dawzow
    Bbcorvette you're ridiculous... Many of the surgeons only do 1-4 surgeries a day. The day of my surgery, I was the only one my surgeon did, and the day after, he had 3 scheduled. I had a fantastic experience with Dr. Elias Ortiz and a lighter me... I wasn't comfortable with the negative I heard about Dr. Almanza and the facilities, etc. He uses so that is why I went with a lighter me and Dr. Ortiz. I am still in touch with his staff a year later...
  12. Allfire
    Allfire
    Dr. Almanza did my Surgery. There is a lot of good and bad about him, but I can tell you my experience with him was wonderful. He was great. He is also a Doctor who actually went through the Gastric Sleeve. They were wonderful to me, and I'm 7 days out, and feel great. I think there is more about home on this site because he does more then other surgeons do. I read until I almost went nuts. But the whole time I was there I was treated wonderful. I'm home, eating, walking, and 13 pounds the first week. I would choose him again in a heartbeat. Don't be afraid of him. I was because of what I read, but it was a breeze. Bring gas x and a heating pad to the hospital along with an extension card with you. Theses are a just.
    What ever you decide, I wish you good luck on the start of your journey.
    Take care,
    Lisa
  13. IrishLass13
    IrishLass13
    A friend referred me to Dr. Almanza after he did her sleeve @ 6-8 months ago. Her sister and a friend have both had Dr. Almanza do theirs too and nothing but great reviews... I am scheduled with him in December and yes nervous reading all this...
  14. frevels
    frevels
    My daughter and I used Dr. Alonzo and both had a won ex. She has lost 129 pounds and weighs 165 and I have lost 75 pounds and weigh 125. We are both very pleased. Her best friend just went and it was better than ever and she is pleased as well. Great Dr and facility Go for it you want regret it. Best decision of my life
  15. Tray9112
    Tray9112
    I was referred by a friend as well and she was referred by two others how loved Dr. Almanza. I have my set for November. I have read the good and the bad about Dr. Almanza. I have also heard from people that have had theirs done here in the States and have had completions as well. It is an operation and bad things can happen anywhere. I hope that no matter who you go with things work out well for the both of us.
  16. SapphireLevaou
    SapphireLevaou
    i'll also be going with Dr. Almanza I watched alot of his videos and thanks to this site I have further knowledge about how he is as a surgeon and seeing people 2-3 yrs after his fiasco in 2015. He is still a great surgeon and yes there will always be the 1-20%-ers that will have complications its inevitable that out of the hundreds of surgeries that they perform that everyone would come out unscathed. So please consider some of the negative results with a grain of salt while still being aware that yes complications can happen to anyone but it doesnt happen to everyone.
  17. Rob0079
    Rob0079
    Went to Dr. Almanza back in October and my experience was very good. He does multiple surgeries a day yes but did not any of the group I was with. I had four other friends go to him also and all are doing great!