Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Welcome to the Class of 2015!

1. Paris1293
    Paris1293
    Hello, I've been doing a lot of researching and about the sleeve since September 2014. At the time I had a PPO plan through my work. I began looking for doctors and I made my 1st appointment on 10/31. I was ready, but my insurance did not cover this procedure and I was Devastated! I was fortunate that Open enrollment was coming up and I verified that Kaiser covered this surgery. With the support of my husband and close friends, I made the switch to Kaiser. on January 1st I made my first appointment with my primary to get this process started. I hope and pray that getting into the program will not be too difficult. January 8th is when I go in, I have to say I am very excited.

I am so ready to start a new life, I know that the sleeve will only be a tool to help me get the bulk of the weight off but I need to be ready to make the change and follow the program that has been given to me to be successful. I am looking to the day that I will be free of this weight and dot he things that has prohibited me from doing..

I started this group for those who also starting out and who want to join in and we can share and support one another though this process.

Info about me"
    I live in Northern California
    52 Yrs. old
    a Mom
    Business Professional
    Involved in my community
    I weigh 282 (yikes)
    My goal 135
  2. Cari2015
    Cari2015
    Hi, I'm scheduled for gastric sleeve on Feb. 11th. I'm starting all the pre-op Jan. 13th. I'm 66 years old, but never had insurance that would pay for this surgery. I have thought about having this surgery for close to 20 years. Now it is a reality and coming up so fast it doesn't seem real. I have a slim and healthy woman underneath a 100lbs of misery, both physically and emotionally. Married 28 years, raised 3 children and widowed. I have been remarried for 12 wonderful years and this marriage has been a gift from God. He is very supportive of me having this surgery. I am looking forward to many more years of being the person I knew I was meant to be. Good luck on your journey!
  3. Paris1293
    Paris1293
    Hi Cari2015 I am so excited for you! Since I've been at this amount of weight, I feel like the true me has been lost and unhappy. It's time to break free from all this weight and really start to live! What a great gift you are giving to your heart f Valentine's! Keep us posted as you get closer. If you need more people to rally , I'm here at least!!
    Wow so excited for you and your date is so close. I have a ways to go before I know my surgery date but I will get there!!!
  4. Soontobeskinnyme
    Soontobeskinnyme
    Just had my first appt. with my PCP. Hopefully she sent my referral to Kaiser's Options Program. I wish you all the best in this journey!
  5. Brivy
    Brivy
    I'm Bri, 25, been thinking about the sleeve for over 9 years! my mother suggested I do the band at 15. I don't have insurance, but I do live in Texas! My husband and I are selling some land to buy another home in north Texas, and we decided to use a portion of the funds to get me sleeved in mexico. Just starting this adventure but hoping to have surgery by March 15th.Just joined the page for help and info on my adventure!
  6. deangelia
    deangelia
    I went to 2 different doctors today to see what my options are for insurance "Cigna" or private self pay. At this point I am trying to make a decision or just go to Mexico and pay out of pocket there. I have been looking over internet, blogs, forums, etc.... Trying to decide what's best. I am actually sitting in dr Kim's waiting room in Colleyville at the moment waiting to meet him. After that it will be to schedule and get pricing. So frustrating... Cigna wants to go through a 90 day program of all these clearance tests (cardiac, psycho eval, counselling) I guess it's a good thing but I have been going over this for a long time. Any input on your experiences with insurance, self pay, or decisions for Mexico are appreciated. I live in Texas ;0)
  7. Cari2015
    Cari2015
    I start next week with my pre-op (Jan.13). Last night I was even having jitters about that. I'm to see the surgeon, dietitian, psychologist evaluation and to be introduced to my new meal plan. It all sounds easy, but all of us who are in this situation have been scrutinized most of our lives. Thank God I have a supportive husband who helps me through my anxieties. I would love to hear from any and all of you.
  8. deangelia
    deangelia
    I know it's stressful and induces a lot of anxiety. I am in the same boat that you are. Life is short, let's get HEALTHY and HAPPY!
  9. denzel
    denzel
    Hi all,

I can't remember what it was that triggered this all off for me, but it would have been around December last year.
    I had slid back into being 'obese' and have medical problems (ME/CFS - CFIDS - + Fibromyalgia + Menieres Disease) + obesity related problems (Upper Airway Resistance Syndrome and use an automatic CPAP) and endometrial hyperplasia.
    With all my medical problems, which had deteriorated over 2014, I just couldn't face extreme dieting again and although I can do limited exercise, I get post-exertional malaise, so couldn't see me ever getting the weight off. *sigh*

Anyway, I started researching in December 2014 what, where, results, benefits, risks etc and I saw my General Practitioner (GP) - I think that you American folk call them your primary? - and got a referral.
    I got an appointment with the Dr who works with the surgeon in December and discussed it, deciding on the sleeve gastrectomy.
    He gave me forms to have blood tests (done) and contact number for dietician.
    I attended an information session by the surgeon, who seemed down to earth and nice in a comfortable way.

Saw the surgeon on the 8th January we also discussed "The MiniMizer Gastric Ring" which I've opted to have MiniMizer Gastric Ring | Bariatric Solutions Australia
    He saw the results from my blood tests taken a while back that were included in the referral from the GP, but didn't see the recent ones, which were all good except for borderline low iron stores.

I see the dietician this coming Tuesday.

I have had Private Health Cover for seven years. We don't have that as part of our salary entitlements. I have top cover and costs > $2,000.00/year, so I will be covered for the hospital charges and part of the surgeons and anaesthetists fee. We also have Medicare which is partly funded from a levy on our income and by the Commonwealth Government - everyone can get this. Will have a gap of $3550.00 to pay.

I am booked into St John of God Murdoch Monday 2nd Feb, admission time 1200.

I am a 51 year old female, around 5' (153.5 cm) and weigh 159 lb (72.12 kg) . BMI = 31.2
    My personal goal weight is 50 kg, 110 lb
  10. Paris1293
    Paris1293
    thanks for sharing to all!!

Well I went to the Kaiser Weight Surgery class that was held in San Jose. I suppose they want to make sure you are ready to pursue this and I am! My next step is to meet with the surgeon and I hope it soon. I just want to get going on this and get my date. I'm fortunate my plan covers this procedure.

I too was worried about what people would think about if I got the surgery. My dearest friends are all supportive and my family that I told as well.

I'm excited for those who are moving along the process and I hope those who are finalizing their decision will do so with clarity many the love of family and friends support and help you along this path!
  11. ev1223
    ev1223
    Hello everyone, my name is Felicia and, I too, have been researching and finally made the decision to do this. My husband is very supportive of the decision. Over the years the past two jobs I had would not cover the surgery and had direct exclusions. My current employer and my secondary insurance pays for the surgery! I am totally excited and feel so very blessed to be afforded this opportunity. As of to date, I have done the blood work and tests with my PCP. Next week I see the pulmonologist as well as the cardiologist and psychologist. I have been seeing a nutritionist for the past 5 months so I am pretty close to being done with everything so that my paperwork can be submitted. I am so ready for this!
  12. Rosepetals65
    Rosepetals65
    Hi Everyone, my name is Rosepetals and I too have made the decision more than once; in 2010 I decided to get the lapband (too afraid to have my organs cut) in all honesty I lost a good 60 lbs; but than I started experiencing issues with it and had to have it removed in 2012 with the hopes of having the sleeve done at the same time but the insurance co DENIED the revision surgery based on a clause that states Bariatric surgery is "ONE in lifetime". In 2013, i received info from my insurance co saying bariatric surgery was considered a pre-existing condition and the OBMACARE law says all pre-existing conditions are covered. SOOOO I ran back to my dr with that great news - went thru all of the pre-op stipulations (many hoops to jum[ thru) AGAIN; expected to have a March 2014 surgery date - only receive another DENIAL from the insurance company; filed the appeal paperwork to NO avail.
    Now here i am 330 lbs later; made the decision to pay CASH (Mexico) - and looking forward to my 3-27-15 surgery date; and my new beginnings in 2015 ... here's to a lighter ME. I know that i am about to do one of the most loving and caring things i can for myself.
  13. KNEWDAY4ME
    KNEWDAY4ME
    Hello Everyone,
    My name is Kim and I am pleased to be a part of the class of 2015! I have done enough research over the past 3 to 4 years I think I could submit a paper! Of course when I started the research, I was not too familiar with the Gastric Sleeve; only the By-pass. I am so glad I waited because I think it is the best option for me.

I have just finished the supervised diet portion of this journey and will be meeting with the surgeon Feb. 19th to see what is ahead. I have met with the Psychologist and have been gathering paperwork from the past five years showing obesity . . .YUK, I hate that word! I am looking forward to talking with all of you and taking the journey with you!

Best of Luck to each of you!
    Kim
  14. PsychChick
    PsychChick
    I'm excited to begin my sleeve journey. I have my orientation tomorrow night. I'm really hoping the process will go smoothly so I can get it done while my bf is out of work for summer break. I look forward to hearing how everyone's journey progresses.
  15. PsychChick
    PsychChick
    I start my Options classes on March 12! Super excited. I was worried I'd have to wait longer. If all goes as planned, I'm hoping to get sleeved by mid-July. I have no major health issues aside from my high BMI so fingers crossed.
  16. KNEWDAY4ME
    KNEWDAY4ME
    Hello Everyone,
    Earlier I had posted that I would be meeting with the surgeon Feb . 19 to schedule the surgery. Well, the insurance company decided to change their guidelines for this year and added a few more days to the supervised diet. Now I get to wait till March 19. . . .pretty frustrating. Guess the good news is I have lost 46 pounds on their supervised diet which is 21 pounds more than the goal they set. So, 27 more days on this liver reduction diet, then the pre-op diet, then the surgery. They told me today, the surgery will be about two months out. Geeze...this is a long process!

Good to read about everyone's progress,
    Kim
  17. PsychChick
    PsychChick
    Had my first options class tonight. It went well minus the woman asking questions that would have been addressed by the teacher later or read in the packets. Only 5 more to go!