Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

is it possible to develop mental illness after gastric sleeve?

1. bnk1cs
    bnk1cs
    I had vsg august 20, 2014 it has been an emotional rollercoaster. So much regret I am having memory problems, problems focusing, sad all the time, no energy, constantly worrying about not getting enough food and water. I am just the opposite of who I was before surgery. I feel that I am no longer in control. So you see it's hard for me to not think that this was a big mistake. I even find it hard to smile and laugh antmore which always came easy. Can this surgery bring things out that are underlying? I have tried 5 different antidepressants and they all had adverse reactions some very severe. I am going to get my hormones checked...

please help...

I need to find myself again...
  2. dbcassidy
    dbcassidy
    It is possible to develop depression (which it sounds like you have) anytime during your life.
    Depending upon what your expectations were prior to having a Vertical Gastric Sleeve (VGS) and how reality is meeting your expectations, it is possible to become sad and worried.

Most of us overate and became obese, because food made up for something missing in our lives.
    For example, if your expectation was that having VGS was going to make all the problems in your life disappear and you ended up having complications and a difficult recovery, depression could set in.

See the following article for examples: Depression after Bariatric Surgery: Triggers, Identification, Treatment, and Prevention | Bariatric Times

I am not a medical professional, so please do not take my suggestions as medical advice. I am just someone who has been in your shoes.

I would first rule out any medical conditions that could be causing your memory, focusing and energy issues.
    Once medical issues have been ruled out, look into meeting with a nutritionist to make sure you are getting the proper amounts of protein and nutriments in your diet.

Once medical or nutritional issues are ruled out, look into finding a surgical weight loss group that meets in your area. Sometimes, just hearing that you are not the only person having an issue after surgery is enough ease your mind.

If you can, I would suggest that you talk with a therapist (particularly one who understands the psychology of why people overeat, regarding the reasons you overate that led to your decision to have VGS) and a psychiatrist (for your medical needs).
    In my opinion, attending a surgical weight loss group and speaking to a therapist could be the most important part of your recovery.

Who is prescribing your meds?
    Typically it takes six weeks of trying a new antidepressant and adjusting the dosage before a decision is made that it is or is not working. Being on five different antidepressants within the short time since your VGS, leads me to believe that your prescriber is not familiar with what they are prescribing.

Best of luck. Although it may not seem like it right now, things do get better.
  3. bnk1cs
    bnk1cs
    Why does it seem that my depression is worse in the morning? I really wish I had not of done this surgery I just hope it will get better.
  4. dbcassidy
    dbcassidy
    It sounds like you are describing "morning anxiety".

It has many causes, from low blood sugar due to not eating overnight to worrying about what the day will bring.
    Personally, I listen to upbeat music in the morning, or listen to a meditation tape.

Again your body has undergone a drastic change with VGS, both physical and hormonal. If you do a search on the forum, you will see that many women have had issues with estrogen levels balancing out after having surgery.