Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Questions for experienced Almanza sleevers

1. Annie7
    Annie7
    Hello,
    I'm scheduled to have my surgery with Dr. Almanza in November and I have a couple of questions.
    Do they have bottled water? and what is the best way to handle the stitches? Do i need to pack anything to care for my stitches? I don't want to get an infection, your advice is appreciated.
    Thank you.
  2. passionpartygirl
    passionpartygirl
    They have everything you will need. You'll get bottled water, juice, Popsicles and Jell-O from the front desk. They'll give you vouchers to get chicken broth in the restaurant and I'm not kidding, it's amazing. I couldn't even go back to Campbell's when I got home. LOL I packed extra bandages for my trip home but I didn't need any. I'm 6 weeks post op tomorrow and had gastric plication, but our incisions were all the same. Pack Gas X Strips
  3. Ronagirl1016
    Ronagirl1016
    Hello. I had my surgery with Dr.A on June 16th. They do have bottled water in your hotel room. When you are there the nurses take care of you & change your bandages. The change them in the morning & evening. I had my stitches removed my my PCP when I came back to the states. My only issue was that I had an allergic reaction to the type of suture materials that were used & 2 of my wounds opened up. It was scary but my PCP was the best & he really took care of me. If you want you can even have your PCP give you liquid antibiotics & pain reliever, they really helped me out, cause the meds they give you in TJ, taste really awful. I'm so happy with my sleeve. I'm down 55 pounds and I'm happy as can be.. Loosing weight everyday is the best feeling ever. Good luck with your journey.
    - Marisol
  4. passionpartygirl
    passionpartygirl
    Sorry, I couldn't get back to the previous message. You'll probably need 2 or 3 boxes of the Gas Xbox Strips. They were a life saver. It's really one of the best experiences I've ever had. It's a well oiled machine. They know their stuff like no other. When I got home I had my sutures out on the 8th day after my surgery and the doctor I see in the states just raved about my sutures and what a great job they did. We don't think there will even be a scar. You'd have to work at getting an infection. They are wonderful. Good luck!
  5. Leslie L.
    Leslie L.
    I love reading all of the advice. I'm not having the surgery until March, our spring break, but this is all very helpful.
  6. angie 3
    angie 3
    I had surgery 7/29/14 Tijuana Dr A Pack lite I took maxi tank dresses about 3 cause there loose that's all I wore & personal hygein items. They provide everything wound spray they change your dressings very organized! Yes gasx strips 2 to 3 boxes! ive lost 45lbs no diabetis med or high b/p meds that alone has made it worth it! Just what they tell you. I brought my own ted hose im glad! Good luck! God speed!
  7. Annie7
    Annie7
    Thank you everybody for the wonderful advice!!
  8. llburbach
    llburbach
    I had surgery with Dr Almanza too. I can't think of anything else to add to what the others have said. They are very organized and do soooooo many of these surgeries it is routine for everyone at the hospital to the hotel. You will be very happy with your results. I kept my incisions clean and open to the air after I returned home. I used the spray they gave me and bought some sterile gauze pads. I cleaned them once a day everyday and had my sutures removed on day 10. I had no problems with my incisions and that was one of my worries. I wish you the very best along your journey!

Laura
  9. Ashleyissleeved
    Ashleyissleeved
    What day are you having surgery? I'm having mine done with dr almanac november 7!! Super excited. Scared about being alone down there.
  10. Annie7
    Annie7
    Thank you Laura.