Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Dumb question ---- WHY?????

1. Terps
    Terps
    I know that higher BMI folks lose more and quicker than we do. But why??? Isn't it simple math, calories in v calories out? I'm so happy for folks with the incredible results they get. And I'm also concerned that I won't reach my goal....even when doing everything right.

I know I'm whining a bit here, and I truly am so happy for people. I'd just like to understand the science behind this difference.
  2. Chunky
    Chunky
    not sure. what is your (or was your bmi)

I'm finding this too. I think... its day 10 for me and it seems higher bmi lose 15+ in that time. I am at 8, which I am thankful for, but I worry considering I am getting 500 cal a day. seems based on math I 'd lose more.
  3. Terps
    Terps
    I was 32 bmi. It's been 6 weeks and I'm down 20 lbs. I'm thrilled but wonder if higher bmi people will pass me along the way. Of course it's a marathon, but I'm the kind of person who likes to understand things. I'm also eating kess than 600!calories on most days. Exercising a bit too, nothing to strenuous yet.
  4. Terribj
    Terribj
    Calories in calories out is right however, people with higher bmi's use more calories just to function. For example my resting metabolic rate -- let's say I sit all day and do nothing - is 1500 calories. Someone with a very high BMI may expend 2500-3000 calories just resting. So essentially they are burning more calories just by carrying around extra weight, but eating the same as we are with lower BMI -- so they will lose weight faster.
    Hope this helps
  5. Terps
    Terps
    That's very helpful Terri, thanks much!
  6. Joe Poppa
    Joe Poppa
    Remember it is excess body weight we are losing down to our goal weight.
    For the same # of calories and exercise, the people with a larger BMI will lose weight at a faster rate, since they have more excess body weight.

Don't look at other people's numbers, concentrate on your accomplishments.
  7. Chunky
    Chunky
    How is it going for you? Message me if you ever want to talk. I see slow in my future too but as long as I keep losing, even 1-2 pounds a week lost is better than gained.
  8. kendraavant_ortiz
    kendraavant_ortiz
    I am not sure of why but I will say I was sleeved on March 14th, lost a total of 54 pound and am considered overweight. I am currently losing weight at about a pound a week. Initially it was faster but it seems to have slowed down. I also started with a BMI of 32. It seems stalls and slowing of the weight loss are all a part of it as you figure out what you should and should not consume. I absolutely can not eat more then 20-40 carbs per day. I am on a very high protein diet. I do approximately 1 hour of cardio and 1 hour of conditioning and strength training daily. Despite the large amount of weight over a short period of time I have very little excess skin. In fact it is almost not noticeable. I am in the last 19 pounds and it seems to be the hardest to lose.