Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Do you get a hard time from family and friends saying "your not big enough for WLS."

1. Rhonda120
    Rhonda120
    Just curious about your experiences with this. I am set for surgery next month and I keep hearing from 'well meaning friends' over and over I am not big enough.
    I am short and now weigh 201, large busted so 2x shirts are tight . I have High BP, sleep apnea, and high cholesterol. However I don't feel the need to justify myself with everyone. Do people understand how many years of poor self image I have suffered with to come to this decision? And I dare not express any anxiety about doing this it will only reaffirm in their mind they know what is best for me. Do they really think that by saying 'your not THAT BIG' that helps my self image in any way? Even on this site on my welcome page I had a person asking why I was having the surgery. I did not even reply. If I can't find support here, where can I?

How Big do people think is big enough to have the surgery?

Anyway those are my rambling thoughts as I lay here next to my snoring husband. (I am fortunate that he is quite supportive)

Just interested in any or your experience, thoughts, advice are on this topic.
  2. jnwl905
    jnwl905
    I had friends and family say the same thing to me. Oh you are not fat, you don't look like you need to lose weight, you have the perfect figure. I came to the conclusion it's not how they see my body and how they feel about my size, its my decision. I prayed about it and with some of my husband support I made the decision to go forth. I feel this is the best decision I ever made and I am not ever looking back. In fact, my next step is speaking to my daughter about her recent weight gain and if she decides to have the surgery I am going to support her 100%. I may even help her pay for it.

Don't worry about what other people say. If you want to do the surgery, then do it and only tell those who you know will support you no matter what. If you don't have anyone remember you always have us. We will always support you 100%.
  3. Rhonda120
    Rhonda120
    Thanks jnwl905
    That is pretty much the conclusion I have come to. It's not their body, it's mine and my happiness.

I have a very thin attractive friend and she has been most vocally opposed to this. Saying all I need to do is diet.
    I understand she doesn't want me going through a surgery, but she will never understand how it feels to be in my shoes.
    I told her this is something I am doing for myself to make me feel better. She is not so vocal about her disapproval now although she still doesn't want me to do it.
  4. dbcassidy
    dbcassidy
    I have had people say the same things to me; that I'm not heavy enough for the surgery - all you need to do is diet.
    Believe me for my height, I am more than heavy enough.

Ironically, none of these people making the comments have a weight problem.

They don't understand how it feels to be obese, the problems I have with climbing stairs, high cholesterol, hypo thyroid, and pre diabetes.

It has ended up that I've limited telling people that I'm having the surgery to supportive people only. This is my journey and I'm not going to have unsupportive people ruin it for me.
  5. Missy1973
    Missy1973
    Rhonda120,

This type of post is the reason that only my husband and two children know what I am doing. I have no desire to hear what other people have to say. It's not their journey. I hope everything went well for you with your surgery! Let us know how it all turned out?
  6. Kbear10 _ 99
    Kbear10 _ 99
    I hear the same comments from a few people myself and although being smaller is a plus, I'm doing this for my health and don't feel the need to have to justify myself to them. Hi everyone, I'm Kim from Florida. Having the sleeve October 8th and currently starving from this liver shrinking diet.
  7. luckygirl
    luckygirl
    Im a BMI of about 34 have high BP high cholesterol and multiple orthodedic issues.I came home from work and cried today I was in so much pain. I have shared only with my husband and one co-worker (she'll see my crazy diet). I'm already getting a little push back from her. I'm self pay in Mexico, I have a twin sister I haven't shared with until I'm into my journey. No one knows what's right for me,I have to hope I'm making the right decision and I don't want chatter interfering with my decision. No one lives my life. When I'm fit and feeling so...much better,let them say whatever. For now...no ones business!!
  8. Spring7012
    Spring7012
    Absolutely. I've dieted my entire life and have gone through serious life changes in the past 5 years. I dropped 50lbs in about 3 months because I was on the verge of a nervous breakdown - and looked great! I called it the Divorce Diet and unfortunately that kind of loss doesn't last. I was put on diets by my grandmother when I was 7 and looking at photos of myself, there was no reason for it. I"ve been up and down my entire life and I'm simply tired of struggling. I honestly have only spoken with my mother (who struggles with me) and my sister-in-law (who had the gastric sleeve) because they understand. I don't think anyone who hasn't struggled with their weight, understands what it's like to not be able to eat something without first calculating how much it was going to cost you in terms of calories, fat etc. I simply want to stop thinking about food and stop struggling-I'm 45 years old, my kids are raised, and I'm finally doing something for myself