Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Is it worth the extra $$$?

1. 10eshoes
    10eshoes
    Hi Everyone - New to this site but not to WLS.

My story (the short version): Had a Lap Band put in by Dr. Rumbaut in Monterrey Mexico in 2003 - I did really well with it, lost all my excess weight, had two children, and had been mostly happy with the band until about 4 years ago.

I had a full laparoscopic hysterectomy (done by the head of the OB/Gynecology Department at a hospital in the US) - the Dr. cut my ureter tube during the surgery, which I didn't find out until 2 weeks later, lots of complications, two surgeries and weeks in the hospital later I went home. During this time I was told to get my band unfilled, which I did. During the months of recovery, I couldn't exercise, change in hormones, depressed by what had happened, etc, I gained about 40 pounds of the 90 I had lost (I got a proper fill after about 4 months of recovering). I haven't been able to get it off since then, my arthritis is worse, the band is just weird since then, sometimes a lot of restriction, throwing up, most of the time, not much restriction at all - although I can't "pig out" which is good. I have acid reflux (runs in the family) but I feel the band makes it worse, since I had very little reflux when my band was unfilled.

I am wanting to get my band out and revise to the gastric sleeve. I've had a few friends that have been very successful with it, and I just don't feel my band is doing me any good.

I've been doing lots of research the last month - I will be a self-pay, going to Mexico. I will not be using Dr. Almanza, altho a few of my friends have been to him and have been successful, I had a friend just recently go to him, he knicked her intestine, wouldn't go to see her even though she was complaining to staff that something was not right, they released her to go home, she became very very ill and finally got a doctor in the US to fix his mistake. She's lucky to be alive. I just don't like his follow up with patients, which seems non-existent from what I can tell.

I don't have to have the cheapest surgeon, but I want someone that is very experienced and especially lots of experience with revision surgeries. As being someone who has endured a mistake due to a "routine" surgery, I want to feel very comfortable, but realize that there can be mistakes, so I also want a Dr. that will not ignore me if I feel like something is wrong and that really cares about his patients. So far I seem pleased with the credentials and experience of Dr. Ariel Ortiz, his price is $9000 for a revision - this seems a little steep, but I'm willing to pay it if he is worth it. I haven't been able to find another surgeon in Mexico with 1500+ revision surgeries, that's my question to all of you, is there anyone I'm missing that I should consider?

Any input is appreciated
  2. LivelyTerry
    LivelyTerry
    You should check out Dr. Guillermo Alvarez. He has over 6000 surgeries, I'm not sure how many revisions, but he did mine and I'm very happy with it. If you go on Obesity help .com and search him, you will see all his patient reviews. I was not able to find one negative review in over 600 positive ones.

He is very responsive if you are having issues, gives you his private cell phone number, has a weekly obesity chat radio show where patients can call in with questions, a youtube channel with over 100 videos on gastric sleeve. I took my niece down for surgery this month and she is also doing well. Here is his youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/Endobariatric

As far as your question about "is it worth the extra dollars" I always say you get what you pay for. If you want excellent care from a surgeon of excellence, you are going to pay for it. I would not go to anyone else if I had to do it all over again. And no, I am not a paid employee or rep, just a patient who has experienced it all.
  3. SoniaDarlene
    SoniaDarlene
    Dr Ariel ortiz at the Obesity Control center in Tijuana. International Center of Excellence. He did my husbands and fixed his hiatal hernia at the same time..no extra charge. He is thorough and has great team of docs/nurses.