Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Getting scared..

1. SoniaDarlene
    SoniaDarlene
    I know that the complication rate and mortality rate are very low for this procedure. I am fearful when I look in my children's eyes and think that I could die. I am a nurse and certainly aware of my risks, but also perhaps more comfortable around hospitals and such than a lay person. Why am I freaking out like this? I am not on the verge of backing out, but these thoughts make me fearful. I'd rather be fat and live then skinny and die.
  2. dbcassidy
    dbcassidy
    As it is getting close to my sleeve date, I am also a little nervous about having an elective surgical procedure. As you have stated this procedure historically has a low risk of mortality.

I am getting through this nervous feeling by remembering that I have been unsuccessful in losing weight and keeping weight off without the benefit of this tool. if I want to live a long and healthy life, I need to change both my lifestyle and my outlook on life. Having a sleeve along with investigating and resolving the reasons why I have chosen to overeat in past, will help me in this regard.

I am old enough to have seen first-hand the complications that friends and family have had due to obesity; how the obesity and complications from being obese kept them from living the life they wanted to have. I don't want to travel that same path they went down.
  3. Bill 59101
    Bill 59101
    I think about the same things every day, it is normal I guess. I am concerned about the surgery and even more so since this will be my first surgery of any kind. The day I leave to have my surgery, I will hug my son and tell him I love him and that I will see him soon. I know that if I don't have the surgery that I may not have long to live without it. I am confident with my choice of surgeon and my choice to have this surgery to help me have a better future with my son.
  4. lmdee73
    lmdee73
    I think fear in some form is normal. I'm not scared about the surgery...I'm scared of the unknown a year from now. Will I finally be that happy confident person I was before I gained weight? Will this life altering change be good for my marriage? My family? These are the things that scare me. To each his/her own.

We will all come through the surgery without any problems and our recovery will be short and painless. We've got this!!!!
  5. Pooky
    Pooky
    I agree that some fear in some form is normal. I have thought about complications more and more as the day is getting closer. A couple of times i have sat outside on my back porch and said to myself ... you are electing to have this surgery, some people would think you are nuts! And then I think yes, i am electing to have this surgery, and I'm doing it so that I can live a longer, healthier life and enjoy the heck out of my daughter and husband.

I'm with ya lmdee, we will all get through this without complications and recover in no time. And we will have each other as well as family and friends to lean on for support along the way.
  6. jolieslp
    jolieslp
    I am feeling the same way. Wondering if I am doing the right thing. I have lost 65# on my own. But, I was 385#!!! I could still lose 180# before I am a "normal" weight. That is A LOT. So, this is the option! We will be good. I am planning on a quick recovery!
  7. Lorna
    Lorna
    I"m glad I"m not the only one that's scared. However, I'm more scared of the anesthesia and not waking up, scared I won't do as well as I hope, although my mother (my worst critic) is confident I can and will do it. I'm only taking 1 week from work going back on day 8 after surgery. That should help me be less consumed with myself and just get through my protein and liquid intake for at least 9 hours a day. It's the nights that also concern me. I know I can do it and I am going to do it, I guess they are normal fears and just reading here will get me through.
  8. emski87
    emski87
    I feel scared also x scared if I'm making the right decision x do I really want to be restricted with regards to eating for the rest of my life x and then I look in the mirror or at photos of me and I realise that although I'm smiling in pictures, unless they are selfies then I look huge, because I am huge! X I know that I can not live my life this way x my main reason for having the surgery is that I have polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) which affects your weight in that it "helps" you put in weight and makes it harder to lose weight! I have lost just 56lb in 4 years, that's a stone a year, it's awful! My friend lost 12 stone in 1 year!!! I followed her exact diet and exercise and it wouldn't shift x PCOS also can lead to infertility in some women, and sadly I am one of those and I am forever told to lose weight to increase my chances of ever conceiving naturally. I want a family of my own one day, and know I have to do something about the weight.
    So when I get scared, am only 3 weeks pre op now, I think of the bigger picture, of what this will do for me in terms of the long term future x short term it is going to be hard but I'd rather that then potentially having to deal with infertility in the long term and miss out on the very one thing I know I want from life x

We all have each other on here for support as well as a home support network and we will be here for each other every step of the way x I honestly can say that I am so so glad I found this forum as you have all been a huge help so far xx what date is your operation Sonia?? Xx