Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Packing List

1. farmerchick
    farmerchick
    I'm starting to obsess over this surgery. I'm trying to figure out what exactly I need to take with me. I see so many people recommending so many different things. So far as I can tell, the #1 MUST HAVE item is Gas X Strips. Aside from the obvious clothing and personal items, I see people recommending an extension cord, heating pad, slip-on shoes and ear plugs. Am I missing anything? How am I supposed to get all of this into a bag and have it weigh only 10 pounds?
  2. Vanessa2
    Vanessa2
    I'm not sure if I packed right yet. I'm at Sacramento airport heading for TJ! I feel like I'm in a daze it still hasn't hit me why I'm here. Anyway I packed a bigger bag so I can get some fun things for my kids. I decided I could carry it on the way there then the driver will help bring it to airport for the return and I'll ask someone to help pull it off the belt. Shouldn't be too bad. I brought gas x iPad Chapstick tape and gauze and I have a pack of bouillon iand crystal lite in my purse. Lol. Good luck. Tomorrow is my day!
  3. andreaf
    andreaf
    I'm obsessing over it too and have a huge list of stuff I'm taking, but I have the benefit of having my hubby to lift everything for me. What time is your pick up on Sunday?
  4. Mimie76
    Mimie76
    Wow, good luck ladies. I have heard the gas x strips are a must. my friend whom had the procedure done already, took her tablet to stay in touch w family, comfy shirts and pants. She took slippers, chicken bullion, Socks. She said that her feet were cold a lot. Space for shopping at the border from vendors. Good luck once again, my surgery is 4.23.14.
  5. farmerchick
    farmerchick
    Ooooo good luck Vanessa2!!!
  6. KristinaMc
    KristinaMc
    Good luck Vanessa!!
  7. vyxcyn
    vyxcyn
    Im taking notes because I'Il be packing in a few days. My surgery is April 17th, Thursday! Best wishes to all the upcoming surgeries and those just recovering sleevers.
  8. unicornsilove
    unicornsilove
    My surgery was 4/10. The only things I really used were my phone and tablet. Didn't really feel like doing anything else. Between walking ang trying to get your 64 ounces in which is harder than I thought it would be, that's all you really can concentrate on.
  9. Karani
    Karani
    I wasn't allowed to have anything by mouth. I had an IV line in to keep me hydrated for the first 48 hrs & was only allowed a teaspoon of ice to suck at a time so the only thing necessary I felt was useful was dry mouth saliva spray .. It has peppermint flavour & does wet the mouth ... I was worried that it would be revolting & I would gag on it but if was actually quite refreshing.
    Good luck to all about to have surgery ... I got through it better knowing that that others had done it b4 me & survived it ... & as I got through each day I would shut my eyes & think .. wow.. I got thru this day ok & I am now one step closer to being even more ok...( I am now at day 10 post surgery) Go into it positive & don't let negative thoughts take over .. Stop any negative chatter in your head because if you don't then the thoughts take over & become your feelings. Just breathe , relax & sleep whenever you can .. Hugs to all
  10. Canyonite
    Canyonite
    Hello everyone! Sounds like a few of you are having surgery in Mexico, so here's what you can expect to happen:

I arrived in San Diego the afternoon of April 8th. Because I was the last pickup (7:00 p.m.) I could not have my blood work done until the next day. I was picked up and transported to Hotel Ticuan that night. The next morning I was picked up and taken to the lab, where my blood, ekg, etc. was done. This is when you pay your money - to Dr. Almanza's brother. They then transported me directly to the hospital. I did not realize that this was the process, so I left all my personal items in the hotel room with the exception of a small backpack of items just in case I wasn't returned to the hotel.

When I arrived at the hospital they immediately prepped me for surgery. It takes 25 minutes. You are kept overnight, and returned to the hotel the next day. Thank goodness I had the wherewithal to bring my small backpack - which contained sweat pants, t-shirt, socks, phone, iPad, Gas-X strips, and sunglasses. This is truly all you will need. A few people in my group were real troupers and dressed up for their transportation back to the hotel...I just wore my sweats :-)

When I got back to the hotel - the afternoon of April 10th - front desk let me know that they had removed all of my items from the room, including my stuff from the safe. Again...I did not know that I wasn't supposed to leave my stuff in the room when they picked me up the day before for my labs. I assumed I was going to be brought back to the hotel before going to the hospital, and no one really told me differently. Everyone else (obviously smarter than me) took their luggage with them to the hospital (if you are bringing someone with you, I am sure that you will keep the same room at the hotel and will be able to leave your luggage). I traveled alone. Anyhow...on my return to the hotel they assigned me another room and gave me all of my luggage. Everything was there...nothing missing :-)

That evening (Thursday April 10th) the nurse came and emptied my drain and gave me medication. The following day - Friday April 11th - two days post surgery, the nurse came to offer more medication (I declined). They drove us for our leak test at the imaging center. Short and sweet. You are then given an opportunity to sign up to go shopping, etc. I opted out. That night they removed my drain and IV, gave me my medications to take home, and that was it. The next morning (Saturday April 12th) I was shuttled to the airport. I was back at work full time on Monday.

From the point that I was returned to my hotel on Thursday afternoon...I pretty much did not leave. A lot of people walked around the block, hung out in the lobby, etc. I did a lot of sleeping. The key is to just be comfortable in your clothes.

The worst part of this surgery is the gas. Bring your Gas-X Strips...and a heating pad and extension cord. The outlets in the hotel are in odd places. The heating pad will help with the gas. Don't overpack...it's not worth it. No reason to try to make a fashion statement. I wore the same outfit coming and going on the plane. The rest of the time I lived in sweats and sandals, and had a couple of loose tank tops that I switched out. I also brought a neck pillow for the plane which serves a lot of different purposes. You will also find that you probably don't want to get your dressing wet so you won't shower every day.

The hotel provides you with bottled water, otter pops, jello, juice, and broth. You do not need to bring anything more. You won't eat anything else but this until you return home. The only other thing I would suggest are mints or something to get the icky taste out of your mouth that seemed to take up residency following surgery :-)

Good luck! Everyone is very nice and helpful and you will meet lots of other folks going through the exact same thing, so you are in good company :-)
  11. farmerchick
    farmerchick
    Are there blow dryers in the bathrooms of the hotel? Trying to think of a way to lighten my bag. I know it's not a necessity, but being able to at least blow dry my hair makes me feel better. Weird, I know.