Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Weight Loss Surgery Group

1. trubshaw
    trubshaw
    Planning to have sleeve done by above in the summer. Would love to hear about others experiences.

Jacqui x
  2. DJmillie
    DJmillie
    I had the surgery done in America, so the process leading up to the surgery may be different but the basics of what happened will probably be similar. I had to do a 2 week liquid diet prior to the surgery to ensure that my liver shrunk in size. They use a clamp thing to move it out of the way of the stomach and the liquid diet (which consisted of high protein shakes, water, tea, soup broth, milk, jelly/jello) helped to shrink the liver nice and thin so it could easily be moved with the clamp. The doc said he can always tell when patients would cheat because their liver was harder to move out of the way, which will result in a more painful healing post op!

The day before the surgery it was clear liquids ONLY (google clear liquids for approved list) and nothing to drink 12 hours prior to surgery.

Mine was done at 7:00am and I was given anti nausea patches to wear into surgery. I was in the recovery room by 8:00am, although very groggy. I would wake long enough to ask for pain meds every 4 hours or so- it felt like I had been in a boxing ring! I had my gallbladder out 5 years prior, but it would compare it to that, pain wise. I went home the next afternoon with a prescribed pain relief but didn't really feel the need to take it.

Cold water sipped for the first couple of days, along with Aloe Vera juice...I worked up to protein shakes after about 5 days. My doc said keeping hydrated is the main thing, getting protein will come later...and it has. I'm 2 and 1/2 weeks post op now and I'm tolerating purée foods well. Ice lollies go down the best I don't feel over full...I just have to concentrate on slowing down. Eating 5 baby spoons amounts of say, purée chicken salad and the fullness starts in my chest. In my head, I enjoy the taste and want more, but I physically cannot tolerate another bite. I took a chance and took the one more bite and it felt like it sat at the base of my throat-very uncomfortable! I evidentially threw up, and it relieved it a little. I cannot stress enough the importance of taking eating slow! I never want to experience that again!

I lost a total of 18 lbs (1 stone 4lbs) the week after the surgery and only 1 lb the second, but it is that time of the month for me, so I'm surprised I lost at all! I still feel like I'm getting used to the sleeve, but I like the fact that I'm feeling full....something I never truly could achieve pre op.

Best of luck with your journey!
  3. Geordie lass
    Geordie lass
    I'm having my sleeve in 10 days time. I started my pre op diet last Wednesday. It's a low carb food based diet. I was advised to start it one week prior to surgery but wanted to start it earlier to make sure that my liver is good for the surgery. Good luck with your surgery in the summer. Hope it goes well.