Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Where did you have your surgeries?

1. Never2soon
    Never2soon
    My BMI is 33 and I'm trying to find a place to have my surgery. My local hospital won't even consider me. If I could find a hospital that would do my WLS, for a reasonable price, I wouldn't try to use my insurance.

What did the rest of you do?
  2. L.Gould
    L.Gould
    Mexico self pay, no jumping through insurance hoops!
  3. mrsjoe
    mrsjoe
    didn't you say in another post that you had heart issues? If that is the case, I would say you really need to look for a hospital within driving distance, even if it's say 8 hours away. The reason I say this is not because you won't get quality care in Mexico, but because the very few people who have had complications in Mexico end up hospitalized in San Diego, some for long periods of time. It's hard to be hospitalized far from home. Where are you located?

The other consideration is does your insurance cover bariatric surgery at all? My insurance covered bariatric surgery, but there was no way I would qualify to have it covered with a BMI of 32.5-33. But the reason this is important is because they do cover bariatric surgery in general, that meant my complications were covered even though I self-paid for the surgery. If this is not the case for your insurance, with your heart condition, you will definitely need to look into complication insurance. I don't think this is available at most facilities in Mexico and it's quite pricey. For example, my surgeon here in Utah had three self-pay options $12,000 at a Same-day surgery center, $15,000 for an overnight at a hospital and $18,000 for the hospital plus complication coverage.

I would start by stating where you are located and then maybe people could chime in surgeon suggestions within less than a day's drive. Also, can you afford U.S. Self-pay prices or will you have to find a Mexican hospital that can provide complications coverage?
  4. Never2soon
    Never2soon
    My cardio is in Boston. I'm checking with him to make sure he is comfortable with my having this surgery. I'm in discussions with Dr. Ortiz and he agreed that he will discuss with my cardio as well. Thankfully, I've had surgery since I've had my heart issues and it was fine. My heart issue is also stable at this point. So, this is now my window of opportunity.