Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Who did you tell/will you tell about your surgery? Facebook?

1. adroser
    adroser
    Just curious who you plan to tell, or who you've already told about your surgery? I have only told my family, a few close friends, and a couple of aquaintences (because my 6 yr old blurted it out to them). Now that I have a surgery date, I'm debating on whether I want to post about it on Facebook, or not. I haven't gotten the best reactions from anyone I've told except my mom and my hubby and kids. Everyone else who knows doesn't really know what to say, or they look at me like I'm crazy!
  2. apierson98@aol.com
    apierson98@aol.com
    Congratulations on your decision to have the surgery. The only person I have told is my husband. I guess I don't want to hear any negative feedback. Once I have the surgery and I know that I'm ok, I will tell my family and friends. I'm excited about getting it done and I don't want anyone to steal my Joy.
  3. andreaf
    andreaf
    I told a few of my coworkers and close family and friends. And I only told them because I was able to have an actual conversing about it to them so they could hear my reasons why. Especially since I'm going to Mexico to have it done. I didn't want them to think I was crazy and wanted them to know that I've done my homework regarding it. I'm going to wait a while until after my surgery and start having results before I share it on Facebook. At that point I won't have to deal with hearing about other people's "concerns" (and by other people I mostly mean old acquaintances who's opinions don't matter anyway) because it will already be done and over with. But honestly this is something that I've wanted for such a long time and I'm so excited to finally be getting it done that I don't really care who knows. If someone mentions that I'm losing weight I'll be more than happy to tell them why. I guess I'm finally getting over my fears of what other people think about me which has plagued me most of my life and am finally doing what makes me happy. I'm excited because this is just the beginning of that new found confidence and I haven't even had surgery yet!
  4. BigPlansLinda
    BigPlansLinda
    I'm a big mouth; I've told people at work, close friends, and my immediate family. Facebook I think will have to wait until I've lost a noticable amount, for the same reasons listed above. I don't want old acquaintances I knew in high school to voice their opinions and share their concerns and steal my joy in this. I truly am joyful to finally be making this positive change and that's my focus.
  5. Debbbiee
    Debbbiee
    Pretty much everyone knows. I'm very open about it at work. Where I work people tended gossip a lot and I figured if I told everyone upfront, they wouldn't have anything to talk about. I think it depends on your own unique situation. Good luck!
  6. skunky78
    skunky78
    I felt it was best to be open about it to everyone.....after I had the surgery. I didn't tell anyone except my mom and husband prior to the surgery and then everyone, including facebook, afterwards. Best of luck!
  7. airmaleguy@gmail.com
    airmaleguy@gmail.com
    I'm not going to tell...unless people ask. I'm hoping they notice and weight loss
  8. Kalafaye
    Kalafaye
    I have not kept it a secret. I'm pretty much an open book anyway. My memory is too bad and I'm too lazy to keep secrets. haha!

Everyone at work knows. We're a really close company. My CEO, bless his heart, was always offering up solutions that were 'better options' than surgery. It's hard to tell your CEO that you've done HELLA research.. and that you've tried EVERYTHING for over 25 years and this is the only solution that the DOCTORS think will work for you. lol AND it's even harder when you know he's only saying it because he's worried about you. lol

I kind of have a fear that people will assume that the weight I lose after surgery will just be 'easy'.. like I didn't have to work for it. Not that I care what people think. It's just frustrating when you work SO hard at anything and it's assumed by others that you're taking the shortcut and doing something SUPER easy.
  9. cmharders
    cmharders
    I haven't been shy about talking about my surgery if asked. Pre-op many of my family members couldn't understand why i was 'going through with it', so i have faced my scoffers with my new-found energy and of course they can see the physical changes in me. A few have inferred that i took the easy way out but i make it very clear that this takes committment and i work at it every day. I truly feel I'm a work in progress.