Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Cycling post-sleeve

1. Windy1
    Windy1
    Good morning!

Does anyone cycle? I wanted to share my story and learn from yours! I shared this on another board, too.

I was sleeved on 2/19. I was cleared to start working out at week 3 post-op. I have been going to the gym mostly - treadmill, arm machines, etc., but I have taken up cycling. I signed up for the American Cancer Society Bike-a-Thon. It's in July and is 63 miles. The last time I was on a bike was around 30 years ago when I was in middle school!

I am just over a month post-op, new to cycling, and was able to complete 2 14-mile bike rides and a 22-mile ride (the 22-miler was just yesterday). My first ride was HORRIBLE. I didn't pre-fuel, only was able to tolerate a few sips of water, didn't think about fueling during the ride, and almost passed out afterwards. Second ride was much better - I rode about 2 hours after I had a protein shake and drank Gatorade on the ride, sipping as much as I could. I am able to tolerate "big sips" to mouthfuls of liquids at a time at this point. I have found that I HAVE to drink Gatorade or some other type of electrolyte replacer (Nuun, G2, etc.) on my rides; it helps immensely. Of course, maybe it's the sugars in the Gatorade that are helping me. I also have to fuel my body before, during, and after the ride. I am technically still on "soft foods" per my nutritionist. I have found that I can tolerate Clif bars - 1/2 of a bar at a time - if I chew it well; the ones I have have 10 grams of protein per bar. I sometimes have to take a sip of water to make it a little softer, too.

With that being said, yesterday, on the 22-mile ride, I averaged 10.9 mph with a 12-15 mph wind (brutal wind for me), took 2 hours, and burned crazy calories. I drank about 8 ounces of Gatorade (the regular kind, not G2) during the ride and ate 1/3 of a Clif bar at about 1/2-way through the ride and the rest after the ride. I felt AMAZING.

Please feel free to share your stories! I look forward to hearing from you.

Have a great day!
    Anita
  2. HGfromOmaha
    HGfromOmaha
    Congratulations Anita! I am waiting on the weather to change so I can get out and get going. I've been a life-long cyclist, even with my illness and when my weight shot up. Last year I was able to do about 220 miles and that was it. I was sick the rest of the time. I was at the bike shop today and they were very happy to see me and we are planning rides for later in the summer.

I'd recommend either trying GU gel or trying Clif Shots but you'll have to chew those really well. They're gummy and will give you great energy. Your bike shop will have them. One or two should really help your energy level.

As I'm recently sleeved, I haven't rode yet and I'm probably going to wait until I drop a good bit more of weight before I really go after it because one of the issues I had was my seat being uncomfortable after 10 miles or so. And my seat is broken in and one I've had for years, plus my bib shorts are new with a good pad, so I know it's my weight that's the problem.

Anyway, best of luck to you. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. You'll love yourself for it.
  3. craigm68
    craigm68
    You may want to try Gu. It is a gel and gives you calories. You want to keep hydrated and fueled so you don't "bonk". It has been too cold for me go start riding but I hope to soon. I am worried about keeping up my caloric intake. I just can't wait to get back on the bike. Good that you signed up for something. Much easier to ride with a purpose. When you start getting up to speed look for groups to ride with.