Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Struggling with activity pre surgery

1. julesdeck
    julesdeck
    Yesterday I spent 3 hours at the barn. Cleaning, grooming, and since I didn't have to wear 20 layers for once, I was able to ride. It was bareback and only a walk around the arena, but it felt so nice to reconnect with my mare. It was an ungraceful dismount if I ever saw one.
    I'm trying to increase my time there as my surgery approaches to keep moving. Started making smoothies too but struggling with other exercises because of pain in my feet and knees. What other things helped you get more active before surgery?
  2. julesdeck
    julesdeck
    Update - since the sun and slightly warmer temps have decided to finally show up here in Michigan, I have been out more. Rode 3x this past week and even went for a walk with my own 2 feet with the hubby. Still struggling to get into a habit of movement. Need to since only have 32 more days til surgery. Any thoughts would be helpful.
  3. Kindle
    Kindle
    I have a recumbent bike at home. No impact and you can increase or decrease the resistance as much as you want to make it a good muscle-building workout or just cardio. It really does a nice job toning your thighs and butt. It's the only exercise I've done postop, besides walking for gas pains during the first couple weeks. I'm jealous you're riding already. The snow is just going out of my backyard this week, but it will be another month before there's any rideable trails.
  4. julesdeck
    julesdeck
    Well don't be too jealous, the thunderstorms have arrived!! Now I've tried the recumbent bike and an elliptical, but both bothered my knees. I would love a treadmill , but no room or money right now.
  5. Kindle
    Kindle
    What about swimming? Have you seen a doctor about your knees? Sounds like it's more than just regular "arthritis/overweight" knee issues.
  6. julesdeck
    julesdeck
    The doctor says it is the weight by who knows. Been riding bareback to avoid putting extra stress on them. Went walking a couple times this week with no issues but Damn the stairs.
  7. julesdeck
    julesdeck
    I love swimming but there aren't any indoor pools around without spending over $100 month on a membership.