Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Choosing a surgeon how important should price be?

1. Phoenixrise
    Phoenixrise
    I know many people are still doing research considering the pros and cons of weight loss surgery. When determining your surgeon how important is cost? Do you associate cost with what you will receive such as having additional pre-op testing, having medical records translated, having a all bilingual staff? days in the hospital? after care treatment? having an all inclusive price meaning one flat fee for everything including medicine (airfare?), credibility, accreditation, affiliations, industry experience, etc. If you have to pay a higher price to have American standards of care would you? I can understand wanting to have the procedure and are you willing to pay more, but have it at a later date may be an option for some. Where some have a strict budget and have to get everything in their wants, at this set price. In all reality what type of pre-op care, surgical procedural techniques used, post op care do I expect to have? What type of facility amenities do I want? What are my must and what can I do without? Ask yourself what is the most I will pay to have these things? What is your minimum?

Sometimes you have to lose some experience to get a lower price than other surgeons. Some times you have to get a surgeon who preforms numerous surgeries in one day for a lower price. Sometimes you have to get an experienced surgeon with no internet marketing at a lower price? For some is it logical to think why pay a more expensive rate for a third world country and they have other surgeons cheaper? Consider this if your doing research on surgeons with lower prices because you fear the quality of care then why not pay more to have the quality of care you are comfortable with and eliminate the fear. It is better to have a weight lifted paying more than to carry a burden because of being cheap. You are worth every penny and quality care, quality assurance, latest techniques in surgery, after care assistance, ethical certified surgeons and staff with industry experience, can not be purchased. You may get the same results with different surgeons but this should be a surgery you will only need once and it is better to have the great experience than the not. Price does change the quality in which your treated the care in which you receive and the standards in which the organization operates on to continue keeping loyal and satisfied staff and patients. If only the surgery is your primary concern and nothing else that comes with it still ask yourself what will you spend for just that alone?

What do you consider an average range $4,000 to $8,500?? Why or Why not?

FOOD FOR THOUGHT, REPLY and share to help others with this question and seeking answers
  2. thinmeskreamin
    thinmeskreamin
    It's interesting you would use the term American standard of care.. we unfortunately are not #1 in the world for health care. As my US primary care physician put it. Other countries do things differently, but the science is the same. You research the surgeons, the facility and make the best choice you can with the fundsyou have available. I was thrilled with my surgery. Just to change hospitals or cities.. same staff and over 1000 extra that I didn't have, helped me makemy decision.
  3. Kindle
    Kindle
    When I was researching where to have my sleeve, I took cost out of the equation. I looked at both local US surgeons as well as Mexican options. Geographically, I limited my search to within 150 miles of home and Tijuana (logistically it was easier for me to fly into San Diego rather than other Mexico destinations). I looked at the surgeon's credentials and experience, complications, patient feedback, the facility, and the postop support system. No one choice was the "best" in all categories, but I went with the one I felt most confident with in terms of my health and long term outcome. My choice was not the cheapest or the most expensive, but once chosen I budgeted accordingly and went for it. BTW, good choice!
  4. Lolo2
    Lolo2
    Mexico has a governing assn which holds doctors to a certain standard I believe. It's called "Mexico medical tourism" if not I was impressed with the care I received in both Monterey where I had my lap band done and in Puerto Vallarta for my sleeve. I chose to pay a little more to have Dr Joya because I heard good things and I felt PV was safer than TJ when out walking around. I sipped on fresh juices lounging on the beach. I paid $6500 which included hotel rooms and all tests, you can pay more or less. The hospital was very clean and I feel staff was more available and helpful than our over worked nurses here. Take your time to find the place, price and doctor that feels right. Once I did I booked less than 2 weeks ahead and started the pre op diet the next day. The freedom to just book and not jump thru hoops was priceless for me. Money does buy happiness.