Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Calling US while in mexico.

1. jenniferboyd81
    jenniferboyd81
    I leave Saturday and I am curious how you kept in contact with your family in the US?
  2. en.route.to.healthy
    en.route.to.healthy
    At dr Ariel ortiz's clinic everywhere has a phone
    Beside their bed that they can call for free to
    The US or Canada. Other than that I added the whatsapp app
    And texted through wifi at the hotel and clinic.
  3. en.route.to.healthy
    en.route.to.healthy
    Everyone*
  4. Luann
    Luann
    I had my cell with me, apparently there is a way to call the US free from the hospital I was at (Mi Doctor) but I just used my cell since I got a calling plan for US / Mexico. One issue that came up though - all the toll free numbers I had to reach various businesses - airline customer service, my coordinator, etc - would not go through when dialed from Mexico. I didn't know they only work from the US. At least that is what verizon told me - I got a phone rep to patch me through to the airline when I needed to reach them regarding my flight back.
  5. shila
    shila
    I haven't had my surgery yet but, we travel to Mexico for vacation a lot. I have AT&T. We usually add an international calling plan for a month and then they prorate it for the week. You will need to dial 001 then your numbers when calling back to the US.
  6. karenl3
    karenl3
    I added a roaming pack to my phone and used the Wifi in the hospital.
  7. Kindle
    Kindle
    I turned my phone to airplane mode so I wouldn't get charged for incoming text messages. iMessage, FaceTime, email, and Skype all worked over the wifi at OCC and the Marriott. I used the computers and printers at Marriott to check in and get boarding passes for the return flight.
  8. thinmeskreamin
    thinmeskreamin
    I used the phone at mi. Then used the WiFi at hospital and hotel for Facebook and sent messages back n forth thru there. No charge. Others were using internet to call home... Just I'm a little technology challenged
  9. tina2-18-2014
    tina2-18-2014
    I have verizon, and I had international calling added to my phone for 15.00 while I was there. The hospital I stayed at also had free WiFi...
  10. Chonda
    Chonda
    I went thru A lighter Me and used the MI Hospital. We had access to a phone to call home and free wifi. I actually turned my phone off while I was there and used FaceTime or IMessage to get in contact with my loved ones. Of course email as well. Same for the hotel
  11. BBLovesBB
    BBLovesBB
    T Mobile has free international no roaming fee plan. Calls out of US cost no additional fees.
  12. Younggal
    Younggal
    There is an app called "viber" which you can use on cell phone to call and text for free. Family will need to have the app as well. Of course this only works if you have cell phones. Hope this helps. It worked great for me.
  13. jenniferboyd81
    jenniferboyd81
    Thanks everyone I have an android and at&t so Im not quite sure about apps. Thanks for all he help.