Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Help, I keep binging on sweets!

1. butterfly2013
    butterfly2013
    Has anyone else been craving sweets? If so, what have you done to control these cravings?
    I've got a weakness for all sweets and I was hoping that the sleeve would eliminate these cravings but it has not. The protein shakes are sweet and Ive been making different flavors to remind me of candy bars I like which has been curbing my sweet tooth until now. For the past month, Ive been craving sweets and sometimes wake in the middle of the night wanting to nibble on sweets. Because Ive been giving in the past month Ive been loosing and gaining the same 5 pounds for weeks now. I sold my nieces girl scout cookies for her and had 10+ boxes to deliver but Ive opened and eaten 2 boxes. One night last week, I ate 1 whole sleeve of thin mints then became so sick and miserable the rest of the night. But the next day I ate the rest of the box... I didn't even thin I could eat so many cookies at once because it is hard to get down 8 oz of protein shake in 1 hour but I did it. Ive also been eating animal crackers, tootsie pops and gummy bears because they are lower calorie lower fat sweets so they are "the good for you sweets" not like chocolate bars. Ive been too embarrasses to tell anyone else.
  2. Lee6Lee
    Lee6Lee
    Dear Butterfly, you are way too beautiful to waste this surgery on a box of cookies. Deliver the cookies and flush the candy down the toilet. Don't buy any more. Look around on this forum and you'll read of the regrets other people are having from doing the same thing you're beginning to do. It's not too late. You're asking for help, but you're the one there. If you have kids, tell them no candy because it's not good for them. I don't know...I haven't gotten sleeved yet. Someone who has, please pop in for this lady!
  3. 3bandds
    3bandds
    join an online OA group that works steps. become abstinent from sweets. learn what you should eat and follow it to the letter. maybe the things you are adding to your protein shakes to make it "taste like candy" is not helping. i would say that perhaps you want to read about sugar addiction there are many great books on the subject. and detox. pretend you are an addict (are you?) and behave as if you wish to stop using. there is lots of support out there but it is difficult to follow the suggested steps. it's very courageous of you to post what you've been doing. i know it's not easy to admit. chin up, seek help and good luck on your journey. if you think you can- you will succeed.
  4. mommamel
    mommamel
    Hi Butterfly, I can completely relate to your stubborn will because I have one of those too. I get my sleeve tomorrow and I'm so afraid that my carb cravings are going to ruin it for me. BUT, on the other hand, I've been writing down WHY I want this surgery and I think it's helping. For example: I want to dance again. I want to climb Half Dome in Yosemite again. I want to go Christmas shopping with my girIs in downtown San Francisco! and on and on. I really want my children to be proud of me again and if I fail this time, that's it, I've tried everything else. I personally suffer from terrible back pain and two metal knees that need to be replaced again and I'm only 53. Sooo, I have the added incentive of reducing my pain as well as possibly having back and/or knee surgery to correct my problems. Neither one of my surgeons will do the surgeries necessary until I get down to a healthy weight. So, if you could remind yourself what it is that being fat and enslaved to food cravings makes you so angry, perhaps that will help you turn away. I have to see my constant grazing from sweet to salty and back again as a form of diabetes or something that will kill me. I've also been given the advice to go to as many support group meetings as you can, kinda' like Alcoholics Anonymous. I hope this helps.
  5. Liz2013
    Liz2013
    Hi, I have to cut off all sweets.. Diet sugar free foods only trigger my cravings. I do crave them when I'm stressed I know that. Just get rid of them! I like to eat fruit which helps. Hang in there...you can do it
  6. sweetsal
    sweetsal
    Hi Butterfly I am also worried about my food and sweets addictions ruining my chance at a better life. I have not been sleeved yet, but I am already working with a therapist that works with other people with addictions. Because that is what it is. As like most of you I am sure we have all tried everything and lost weight then gained it back when the diet was over. So now I have come to realize it is my addiction and I need to learn how to deal with that addiction! And if it means giving up all sweets like an alcholic gives up all alchol then that is what I am going to have to learn how to do. That is why I am already working with my therapist.

I wish you the best of luck, please keep us advised on your progress.

Sweetsal
  7. wrightstuff12
    wrightstuff12
    I have the same problem. I was hoping that I would fall into the group of people that cannot tolerate sugar anymore. I crave it constantly. My Dr. told me not to graze all day, eat three protein filled meals and 2 healthy snacks if necessary. It is the slider foods that go down easy, the snacks, the candy, the chips. It is hard because I have 2 teens in the house and my husband is a Costco shopper. I am the only one with a weight problem, so far.
  8. lil_lisa
    lil_lisa
    I had a handful of mini candy bars around halloween and ended up in the bathroom 10 min later so alot of sugar doesn't agree with my new tummy, so that helps. If you have to have sweets, might try weight watchers ice cream bars, like 100 calories and one satifies you. Also BJ Bariatrics has a very yummy chocholate protein bar that would be a good choice as well. We have to have some substitute I think, can't just go without.
  9. Lee6Lee
    Lee6Lee
    Butterfly, this is you talking, below, from a post in December. Now it's March! I see it's gotten worse for you. Please stop...for you...and we want you to succeed!

"Since I've been on solid pureed foods, I've been cravings sweets so bad. Maybe it's the time of year bc I've been to several family functions where there is pies, cakes, and cookies everywhere. I've bought candy for my kids stocking and wished I could eat one piece. Last night I got up at 3 am just to eat the cream out of 5 oreos...well it's mushy so should be alright I thought. Well it made me so sick that you would think that would have cured my desire to eat sweets but no. I was just thinking maybe next time I won't eat 5 just 2 or 3 creams of oreos. I don't want to sabotage myself. I used will to stay on liquid diet pre-op. WHY can't I use my will power right now? Help. Has anyone else been having this problem."
  10. TortugaRachel
    TortugaRachel
    As a HUGE cookie craver, that is the hardest part for me. I learned yesterday what Dumping is. That alone is enough to keep me off sweets. OMG that was awful.