Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Need insight 2 weeks out

1. mtnskullrider
    mtnskullrider
    I had the sleeve on 2/11. I had severe acid reflux and was going crazy and frustrated. I have that pretty much contained from taking the liquid prescribed.

Been wondering as I keep reading how many never feel hungry. I have not had the problem of remembering to eat and my stomach lets me know. I am opposite I am always hungry with hunger pains, stomach growling every 2 - 3 hours if I push it out I have heartburn and acid reflux. I get up at least once and sometimes twice a night and drink protein shake (midnight and 2:30). I am ahead of the game with the menu foods I eat as the RN said that liquids and soft puree was going through me too fast. Spoke to the RN on Thursday and she said since I am digesting and have no problems with going to the bathroom to eat. I have severe migraines so I can't do the sugar free. I don't see how I can loose weight. I have not lost weight since last Wednesday. But I am down a total of 20 from 1/2/2014 to 2/19/2014. Should I not worry as it is too soon? I feel I have a ball and chain to food then before. Does this make sense? Be direct....
  2. Alc2013
    Alc2013
    Hello - I am 12 days out so nearly at your stage. I am sick to death of protein shakes and due to start puréed food in two days - but I may bring that forward until tomorrow.

I have hunger - it doesn't feel like a permanent state as I can satiate with drinking a shake or a glass of milk but a few hours later it's back.

How much can you eat at a time? What purée food were you eating?
  3. Kathysangels
    Kathysangels
    I am only two weeks out from surgery on Tuesday - and have had no problems with the food so far - except I also am allergic to the substitute sugar in the Breakfast essentials drink. (After 4 weeks of using this - I started getting migraines, threw up, etc., just before my surgery - once I stopped taking it the headaches stopped) By the way the sugar is Acesulfame potassium also known as Acesulfame K or Ace K. There is a scary article out there that talks about some of the side effects including the headaches: Acesulfame Potassium Side Effects

I went to my first post-op appointment with my Dr. on Friday and he moved me to soft foods on Friday.
    I think we need to learn to listen to our bodies and we will learn what and when we need to go forward. Just be sure to choose soft things if possible and chew, chew, chew.

By the way, my main problem in the past has been I never feel hungry and forgot to eat. I was told that I was malnourished by my Dr. and also dietitian. As a result - even though I had put on a lot of weight my body was holding onto every ounce and it began to attack my muscles, etc.

I still have to force myself now to actually have three separate meals - most especially breakfast - my mind would be fine to just skip this meal - but I am so afraid I will not lose weight without it that I am focusing on it in particular. It must be working because I had lost 14#s since my surgery on the 11th - Friday the 21st - 10 days - plus what I had lost since early January I have lost 45# so far.

Hugs,
    Kathy
  4. beverlywilliams
    beverlywilliams
    I was sleeved on 2/11 as well. I have been on soft foods for about a week and everything is going down fine. I can't eat a ton, but so far so good as far as eating goes. I have lost 12 pounds since surgery, but none in the past 3 days.
    My doctor puts everyone on Prilosec (1 pill per day) and that has kept acid reflux at bay.
    Have you tried taking a Prilosec for the reflux?

Sometimes I feel hungry and other times I don't. I too wonder if I'm going to lose more weight or if I'll just stop at this first 12 pounds. I think we all worry about that.
  5. phd
    phd
    I had my surgery just last Tuesday and am already tired of the protein shakes and soup. I am also experiencing some hunger but I am trying to reframe it, realizing that now I have the tool to work through it and get past it. I keep remembering that I have had all these years of giving in to every little thing and that I am in control. Doesn't always work, sometimes I just have to "sit with it." One day at a time.......
  6. Lolo2
    Lolo2
    I was on acid reflux meds since day 2, wasn't feeling reflux but was told it was mandatory while stomach was healing. I did start to get mild reflux and am on meds till one month or longer if I need. I was sleeved on feb 7 th and moved myself to mashed cause I could feel my body stopping , I was freezing all the time and was craving food even tho not hungry. I also get big growling in my stomach but my mind doesn't relate it to hunger. I've also read that our stomachs r still numb so if we eat we don't feel real restriction like we will in a few weeks and your hunger signals may be mixed up still, I think getting hunger feelings is good as long as in the future restriction is felt when u eat.