Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Going to mexico

1. luvinfunkyworm
    luvinfunkyworm
    I just got approved to have a sleeve done in mexico on May 2 2014.

I am excited, and very nervous. I've never left the country before so this is going to be very different for me. Does anyone have any advice, recommendations, insight....anything really that will help?
    I have no clue about 'pesos' where do you get them, etc?
    What about tipping people. do you use pesos or USD

so many questions....
  2. karenl3
    karenl3
    So...this is what I have learnt. Driver tip about $20, I will probably tip a bit more, hotel cleaners $3-5, patient advocate about $20. They love US money, that's what I got and give change in Pesos. Do not take any more than $300 American, Mexican boarder doesn't like that, only take 3 electronic things. I'm taking my phone and e reader. If you have any more questions and I can answer them I will. I am getting sleeved on the 25th.
  3. karenl3
    karenl3
    Oh! Also...gas x is a must as well as chap stick.
  4. chuck1960
    chuck1960
    I never seen a Peso when I was there took 5k with me never had a problem I tipped in USD...good luck Mexico was easy the doctors were great ...
  5. FormerlyKnownAsFatEmily
    FormerlyKnownAsFatEmily
    I was sleeved in Tijuana by Dr. Ariel Ortiz 2 months ago, so I can offer you my been-there-done-that, wish-I-had-known advice.

*Pack light. I cannot stress this enough. Don't pack a heavy laptop (I regretted doing that!), don't pack a ton of make up, flat iron, books/magazines or clothes- I promise you that you will not feel like checking your e-mail, this site or any other, you wont read anything you bring, wear any makeup or want to style your hair.

*Get a no nail polish manicure/pedicure right before you leave for Mexico. You don't want to be self-conscious of your feet when the nurses are having talke off your shoes/socks to weigh-in before surgery.

*Start stocking up on boxes of Gas-X. Take at least 3 boxes with you.

*Bring a small, firm pillow to hold against your belly while being transported back and forth between hotel and surgical center, back to the airport, etc.

*Buy some good, comfortable slip-on shoes (Sketchers Go Walk) because you won't be able to bend over and tie laces. Make sure you can walk miles and miles in them because I firmly believe that the more you walk, the faster you heal. You'll be walking the halls of the surgical center, hotel, around the shopping center, airport, etc. after surgery and between naps. And make sure the slip-on shoes are comfortable without socks. I brought socks, but found they were just not worth the pain of trying to put on myself or the embarrassment of asking the person who accompayed me to put on for me. Also, my Dr. insisted that I walk 3 miles a day when I returned home. It's been a few months and I've since put serious miles on the slip-on sneakers that I bought just before surgery.

*After you check into your hotel and get settled, walk or take a taxi up to the shopping center/WalMart and buy pedialyte, drinkable yogurt and the sugar-free Gatorade. You'll be so glad everything you need to stay hydrated is stocked in your room because you will NOT want to go anywhere the first day after surgery when you get back to the hotel.
  6. Dawzow
    Dawzow
    I took 2 boxes of gas x strips and it was entirely too much... I never cracked into the 2nd box and even shared half my first box. People are misguided about this... The gas is external, as in they are using air to inflate your abdominal space, so the gas x strips are really for your mental benefit (and hey, whatever helps... Right?)

I didn't bring any pesos, but your hotel will exchange for you. If you're going to Tijuana, think of it as an extension of San Diego.... All us dollars are accepted everywhere. And you can see the conversion (about 13.1 to 1 usd) so you know you're not getting ripped off. I tipped whoever was helping us a few dollars, and they were happy with that. It is really no different than the u. S. Don't be too stressed about it.
  7. LivelyTerry
    LivelyTerry
    I took a box of Gas-X and did not even use it. As was already said, this isn't gas like you get when you have to go to the restroom. This is from surgery, in your back and shoulder, ribs, etc., and the only way to alleviate it is by walking. I did take my iPad, my doc had wireless so it was nice to check email and play some games. Take chapstick and good slippers to walk the halls. Pack very light. I took 2 loose nightgowns and some sweat pants to wear home with a loose t-shirt.
  8. Dawzow
    Dawzow
    Yes! Forgot to mention, brought our laptop with movies and TV shows... It was awesome having it! Our hospital and hotel both had wifi as well