Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

From the Beckley area

1. Shannon2
    Shannon2
    Hi y'all! I am just beginning my journey for the VGS surgery, I hope to have it done in Tijuana, Mexico by Dr. Sergio Quinones. I am excited, and a little nervous to be honest. My sister had the by-pass surgery about 7 years ago and has really good success. My baby brother had the VGS last year in Huntington. BUT, my insurance provider doesn't cover bariatric surgery--no matter the co-morbidities I have.

I am 43 and I'm on five different HTN drugs and was recently diagnosed with Type II Diabetes and sleep apnea. I hate what Ive allowed myself to become and I'm SO ready for a change!
  2. rxtech932002
    rxtech932002
    Hi, Im originally from the Beckley/Hinton area myself and I currently live in Charleston. Im having my sleeve surgery on Feb 26 here in Charleston. Its a shame that your insurance doesn't cover weight loss surgery. I myself had to go through more red tape this time to get it. I started the process in 2012 but I lost my job at CAMC due to disability so there went my insurance I had insurance through my husband as well however at the time they didn't cover bariatric surgery and in July 2013 I started the process again. My insurance requires a BMi of 50 so I met it when I started but when I finished my 6 month requirement in dec I had lost too much weight according to insurance so I had to gain 6 lbs to get approved. I have my pre op teaching next Thursday so im almost there. Im having my surgery done through Dr Shin at the CAMC weight loss center. They do have self pay for people that their insurance doesn't cover weight loss surgery. I travel to Beckley about 2-3 times a year since I still have family in Beckley.
  3. Shannon2
    Shannon2
    Today has been such a mixed bag for me. I woke up excited because I got my pre-op diet and spoke with my coordinator firming up my surgery date. Then I found out the Dept. of Ed had dipped in my fed tax refund and took more than half so there goes my chance to have the surgery. I had my cry, now I just have to take the next year to work my diet and then if necessary I'll try again for surgery. One of my friends mentioned that they're on Medicaid and they're having their surgery paid for? I don't know about that, I was just crushed.

Holler next time you're in town!