Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

15 days post op and 22 pounds down!

1. elongwa
    elongwa
    It has been 15 days since my Vertical Gastric Sleeve surgery and I am still excited I had this done in Mexico with Dr. Almanza!

Since I wrote last a week and a half ago I have struggled with swelling and aches in my abdomen, desire to eat more or different foods than I am able to, the ability to consume enough protein and water, heartburn, less than regular BM's, and a general sense of being tired.

With that being said, I am coming out on the other side!!!

I still have a sense of pulling and swelling in my abdomen, but it is less and less each day and I am now only taking pain medicine at night. I read somewhere that the hungry feeling could be heartburn and when I controlled the heartburn the hunger feeling seemed to dissipate and let me prepare the food I needed to. I still struggle with consuming enough protein, I have what I need to be successful, it is just remembering to make my shakes at the right time so I can get all three in during the day. I switched from the Premier Protein shakes that I bought at Costco to Syntrax Nectar (Fuzzy Navel flavor) that I can mix with water, so each "shake" gets me 23g of protein and 8-12 ounces of water!! A two for one deal!!! The steps I took to alleviate the heartburn were to get a prescription for Omeprazol from my doctor, and take the Milk of Magnesia that I was given upon leaving Mexico three times daily. If I still wake up with heartburn in the middle of the night, I try a Gas-X and go from there. My BM's were also resolved when I started taking the Milk of Magnesia regularly.

Regarding my sense of being tired, I needed to give myself time to heal! CRAZY that I even thought I would be back to 100% immediately. I have given in my tiredness and go home after work, take a short nap, and rest for the evening - or take a short walk if I can. I also started taking some vitamins, I add a B12 liquid to my morning protein shake, I take a spoonful of Calcium/Magnesium/Vitamin D (wild blueberry flavor) in the morning, and I eat four gummy vites for adults (2 in the AM and 2 when I get home from work). This has all helped; I think the resting has helped the most!

This week I am starting on pureed foods!!! I am soooo excited and feel like I have just a tiny bit more energy that I did the day before.

I wish everyone well who had surgery the same day I did, I think of each of you often!

Erin
  2. LivelyTerry
    LivelyTerry
    Sounds like you are doing great. I am 8 days out, and am tired too, but am managing to walk 1 mile each day. My abdomen is only occasionally sensitive on the left side.

Congrats on going to pureed foods! I'm sure that will make you feel even better. This has been a good journey so far for me. I started full liquids today, and had some home made split pea soup that I put in the blender and thinned out. It tasted so awesome after being on clear liquids all last week. I felt a tiny bit of restriction too for the first time, which was nice!

Keep up the good work Erin…

Terry
  3. elongwa
    elongwa
    Hi Terry, you too! I found creamy organic tomato from pacific and butternut squash were great! thin soups last week. I also fit in a bit of Greek yogurt, honey flavor, and some super thinned out cream of rice cereal. Awesome that you get a mile walk in every day! I need to get walking more that's for sure!