Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Questions, Questions, Questions???

1. hersheygurl007
    hersheygurl007
    Hello, everyone, I'm Hersheygurl007, I've just joined this page and a few others.
    I had my sleeve 5wks ago today. I have lost a total of 22lbs, and I need some inspiration from the community, not any community, but my Peeps. (hoping not to offend anyone).
    I just want to understand if any other African Americans are having some of the same issues that I'm having with the sleeve.
    My sleeping has gotten to be awful. I mean I already had insomnia but It has literally gotten worse.
    I go to bed about 11am/12pm daily, and sleep til about 4:30/5pm.
    I'm never ever hungry, I have to make myself eat, and then when I do, its only a few bites and I'm full. I can't see how I've only lost 22lbs in 5 wks.
    My skin is horrible and my hair is even worse. I can see not getting all the nutrients from food like we did before, but I take vitamins 2x's a day and still taking care of my hair and skin like I have for years.
    I'm kinda tripping just a little.
    Any advice will help. Please and Thank You.
    P.S.
    Any California's? In need of workout buddies!!!
  2. Addison
    Addison
    Not sure about the sleep thing. Are you taking ALL of your vitamins on a daily basis, including your protein shake? When you eat are you eating the protein first? I have a friend who was sleeved in May and her hair is thinning. She stopped taking her protein shake (90oz a day) and does not eat properly. I gave her suggestions on what she should be eating and you could see a real difference in her hair after only 4 to 6 weeks.

It is amazing how vitamins and food effect your health. My hair has stopped breaking off (before gastric) and is now nicer, thicker and shinier since I had the surgery. I no longer eat nutrient empty foods (junk food) and I take vitamins now including biotin.

Your lack of eating and vitamins Also could be effecting your sleep. 22lbs in 5 weeks is great! Good luck to you. And perhaps you can go back to your doctor for labs to see if their are some nutrients you are deficient in.

Merry Christmas
  3. hersheygurl007
    hersheygurl007
    I'm taking the vitamins, but I really can only get about 20-25 grams of protein a day. That includes my water, shakes, and maybe even a few bites of yogurt.
    I have a appointment for the day after Christmas, and I am anxious to get there. How long since your sx and did you have a stall? When?
    Merry Christmas to you as well, and thinks for the feedback.
    Oh!! Is the biotin really that good?
  4. hersheygurl007
    hersheygurl007
    I mean "Thanks". Where do you live Addison?
  5. fluffynomore
    fluffynomore
    You have to get 60-65 grams of protein a day!!!! That's why my doctor had me on a protein only diet for months. I was recently allowed to add up to a 1/2 cup of non starchy veggies. What vitamins do you take? My doctor sells bariatric chewables but I can't stand them so I use Bariatric Advantage capsules that is formulated for the sleeve. I take extra biotin, the maxium allowed and COQ10 (co enzyme 10) it gives you energy and it is very small like a tic tac. You also have to make sure you are getting in all of your 64oz of liquids. If you are going to bed around noon, then you should go to the gym instead. I attend followup classes every few months and I thought I hit stalls because I look at it week by week. I was told the average is about 10 lbs a month although some weeks I was dropping 5lbs a week, so you are doing good.
  6. Seahawksfan
    Seahawksfan
    For awhile I hit a spell of bad insomnia, it has been an ongoing issue pre surgery and came back after surgery. Now almost 5 months out, I sleep well most nights. I say give it some time and it may go away. Another thing that helped was shortening my day time naps, I would be so tired mid day that I would sleep for like 3 hours and then wouldn't be able to sleep at night. Now I don't allow myself to sleep over 2 hours during the day.
    I'm sure that I am not getting in all of my protein, it is something I'm still working on. I have found the days that I get in more, I feel better the next day. Just keep working on it, you don't have to be perfect at this right away.
    I won't comment on how often I'm taking my vitamins because I have issues with taking any kind of medicine but I have noticed that my hair and skin has been drier. So you are not alone in that area.
    I weigh weekly and I was a little discouraged looking at just 2-4 pounds each week. But when you start adding it up it makes a big difference. 22 pounds is great keep it up!
  7. tracke38
    tracke38
    I have started to buy my suppliments to pepare for after sleeve. I found "protein shots" which have at least 40g of protein in a small 3 (?) oz tube. I am ordering a few boxes in antipation of not being able to ingest enough. I will have enough trouble getting all of my water. Talk to your docs about the protein shots (they come in a varitey of flavors, whcich should help too). Keep up th good work, and stay encouraged!
  8. Bohannon
    Bohannon
    tracke38, I hope that you like those shots. I found them to be hideous. I am ordering other things to get my protein in.
    DietDirect.com has a large variety of ways you can get your protein. Take a look.
  9. Jerzygirl
    Jerzygirl
    You havve to get your protein in. If you're having difficulty try adding protein shot to your water or protein scoops to your yogurt, puddings, soups, etc. Isopure Whey protein has 50g per 2 scoops.

I also love dietdirect.com, especially the pudding mixes and the chili mix.