Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

New and need to make a surgeon decision......

1. notlistnin
    notlistnin
    Hello! I know I have to find "my own" surgeon but I need help. I read,read,read, think I've made a choice, read more, and start all over again. Is there anyone who can give me more feed back on Dr. Corvala? Every patient review I find (and I'm not too computer savvy) seems a little outdated. Yet his credentials are flawless. I'm leaning towards Dr. Alejandro Lopez. For some reason past patients have him connected to A lighter me, now he is not. Started a new practice with his wife, Dr. Osuna and both have excellent credentials. But no reviews from the new center. It seems like the classic decision between the 'old wise professor' or the new 'Jedhi master". I will be a revision patient, I was Banded by Dr.Ariel Ortiz in '06 but lost the band in '07 (it was horrible anyway) I contacted his office and had 3 of the worst emails from his patient coordinator you could ever imagine! She basically told me to pay Dr Ortiz $8500. fee or I would be "Risking my life" in some "SLEEZY low ball Tijuana clinic" I was very insulted, told her so and she just sent me another email on "price shopping" for doctors! Than she told me I should appreciate her 'educating' me! All I did was inquire?! As a fully self-pay patient, I think its a fair question to ask on a price. Needless to say, all though I had really liked Dr Ortiz in the past, I don't want to deal with any of that attitude now. If anyone has info to share....PLEASE! I'd love to hear from you. Thanks.
  2. CountryGirl72
    CountryGirl72
    I'm not using either of those doctors but wish u good luck on your surgery. That's awful that a coordinator would act like that to you. I am using Dr. Almanza and am scheduled for Dec. 4th. I am very comfortable with my decision.
  3. DeliciousD
    DeliciousD
    I chose Dr Sergio Quinones at Santa Fe medical after hearing too many
    Horror stories about Dr Almanza I wish you all luck
  4. BelindaK
    BelindaK
    Drs. Lopez and Osuna severed ties with A Lighter Me...nothing bad or evil in the split, I was there when it was taking place. I believe Dr. Lopez was raising his prices at the time and Dr. Ortiz wanted to run a lower price. Both surgeons have very good reputations. Dr. Ortiz (Elias, not your former surgeon) did my surgery and I'm very happy with it. He's a lead surgeon at one of the largest hospitals there in Tijuana. He limits the number of surgeries he does daily. Some of the other bariatric surgeons in Mexico will perform up to ten a day!! ALM puts you in a Marriott, while you are in the hospital you are visited more than once a day by your surgeon or a staff internist. Afterward, your surgeon comes to take the drain out and go over discharge instructions. ALM is also acredited by the Better Business Bureau and is based out of Sacramento.

I chose based on the hospital (Mi Doctor is a dedicated bariatric hospital, not a storefront clinic like so many other are.) There are about a half-dozen surgeons operating there and all have excellent reputations. The hospital has a trauma/emergency center, which is a large reason I went there. I was originally scheduled with Dr. Lopez but a couple issues bothered me. One is that he practices at multiple sites. Most of his patients barely saw him and Dr. Ortiz actually did his follow-ups. Dr Lopez's own patients gave glowing reviews of Dr. Ortiz. LOL! Anyhow, I had no complications, my incisions were done with dissolving sutures so the scarring is minimal. I had no throat pain afterward, (I see a LOT of people complaining about this) no major problems with gas, no infections.

Anyhow, don't say "yes" just because a coordinator is pressuring you. Look at the facilities they are operating in. I'd avoid the wholesale doctors and those practicing out of strip mall clinics...this is a major operation and should be performed in a hospital. Complications can and do happen. Be aware of "one stop" surgeons who are advertising plastics along with bariatrics. Avoid "cult of personality" surgeons. Sadly, a lot of these boards and some of the Facebook groups are either run or heavily infiltrated by surgical coordinators. Do what you're doing and ask questions. Be a little cynical when people start attacking the reps of other surgeons.

Here's a link to Mexico Bariatric surgical centers, they rate the hospitals and provide the certifications: Mexico Bariatric Surgery Centers - Read Reviews on Bariatric Surgery Hospitals

Good luck!!
  5. notlistnin
    notlistnin
    I love that you comfortable but Why?! How did you come to your choice? I know many of these Drs. are highly qualified, so after all the formal credentials, and stats, pt reviews, and message boards, can it really be as easy as a "gut" decision? I just don't remember the Surgeon choice to be this tuff last time.
  6. Luann
    Luann
    By all means don't get pressured by a coordinator. I think it's wise to have this in a hospital, but I have read so many posts of patients of Dr. Almanza who were completely happy with the facility & their experience, and I came up with a bad post op infection after surgery at Mi Doctor. It's really hard to get facts beyond the hype and the advertising.
  7. notlistnin
    notlistnin
    BelindaK...Thank you! I agree with you on alot. Thankfully, I think I know more of what I don't want, than what I do. I know I don't want Jerusalem Hosp for instance, or the strip mall. I think your point of moving from site to site was excellent! and need to find out more about that. More to think about, what is a "cult of personality" surgeon?

@ Luann Yes. That Dr. Corvala and what you said makes sense. I would just like to hear more resent patient reviews.
  8. Kindle
    Kindle
    I am going with Dr. Ortiz and Obesity Control Center. I have yet to read ANY negative comments from his VSG patients. I'm really surprised you got such bad emails from his coordinators. I have been corresponding with Carolyn for several months and have never gotten any sort of unsolicited or negative emails from her. It has all been very low key-no pressure responses from her. If she doesn't have an answer to one of my dozen questions she refers me to someone else. She's never once given me a "book with us or else" kind of response. Sorry for your troubles and I sure hope you find someone you feel comfortable with.
  9. nadiaalobaid
    nadiaalobaid
    I just had my surgery with Dr.Aceves in Mexicali, Mexico. Here is the website Meet Dr. Alberto Aceves - Mexicali Bariatric Center

I would recommend him without any hesitations. I had a wonderful experience. Staff was attentive, caring and ready help at anytime. The hospital is beautiful and clean. It is a private hospital with state of the art equipment and technology. Dr.Aceves and his team were professional. Dr.Aceves checks in with his patients 2 to 3 times a day. I am 3 days post op and feeling great! Please consider him... his rates are a little bit higher than some of the Doctors in Tijuana but it is worth it.
  10. Think
    Think
    I used Dr Kelly for my sleeve surgery and have had a flawless recovery and my incisions look beautiful (dissolving sutures too.) I would have him work on one of my children. Here is a link to my experience: http://www.gastricsleeve.com/forum/b...ence-long.html
  11. harleychic
    harleychic
    I am also using Almanza and I too am comfortable with the decision I have made... there are 5 people from the county I live in that have gone to him and have had amazing results. My coordinators have been awesome. The only down side is my husband not being able to stay with me the night of the surgery because this is a clinic not a full hospital.... but after talking to folks and to my husband we have decided that this is the best decision and I couldn't be more excited. My surgery is Dec 6. And I am ready to start my new life!!! Good luck with your decision. But please understand there are good and bads with every doctor you research. Even in the states. The doctor that I was gonna use here had bad reviews as well so that's why I made the decision that this out of pocket would be less on me to fork out going to Mexico!!!! I am super stoked!!!!!! All smilesagain good luck. but really check out Almanza reviews and talk with his staff of coordinators. Heather is the supervisor and she made me feel really comfy with my decision when I found out my husband couldn't stay with me!!!!!!
  12. paradoxgal
    paradoxgal
    I went with Dr Elias Ortiz with A Lighter Me, and I am very happy with my decision. I think overall everything went as smoothly as can go with a major surgery like that, and I liked the Hotel they used, and Mi Doctor was a decent hospital. The language barrier made me aware I was out of the country, but the hospital itself was nice and clean and Dr Ortiz was very professional and the whole team was impressive. I enjoyed Dr Morales who assisted him, he is very funny and outgoing, and Dr Ortiz is thorough and explains everything really well. He came in and talked to me and had already memorized my file - patient history, previous surgeries, allergies, etc. I've never had a surgeon do that - I always get asked the same questions every time by everyone. He was awesome. I'd recommend him! I also looked into all the other major Doctors, and Dr Ariel Ortiz's coordinator Carolyn was nice the first time I talked to her, but brash the next time. Then she called me back and offered me a discount, but it was still thousands more than others, and she was bashing anyone else and using fear tactics. I wasn't impressed.
    I hope you make a decision soon. I think many of the surgeons are skilled and do so many of these each week that you probably can't go wrong with the ones you have narrowed it down to. Maybe go with price if you feel like they are all good. Make sure your price includes all your meds, hotel, records, meals, transportation, etc.
    Exciting stuff! I'm down 35 lbs in 5 weeks!
  13. Hatters
    Hatters
    I just had my surgery from Dr. Lopez last week and I really like him and his staff. I personally did not care for the MI 4th floor staff (which is where I spent the 2 nights) but for me price was an issue and I would do it again.
  14. notlistnin
    notlistnin
    Thanks to everyone for all the reply's and the great advice.I booked my surgery with Dr.Lopez for 1/11/14 and the day can't get here fast enough!! I realized how I could make a choice and get on with this exciting, and long awaited change or keep spinning in my head and go nowhere. Keep posting everyone, I love reading all your updates!