Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Be The Change

1. Graciegurl
    Graciegurl

I love this quote by, don Miguel Ruiz: "If you can learn to change your own reactions, then you can change your habits and routines, change the program, and change your life."

Isn't this what we are doing??? We are changing our relationship with food!

I have always been an emotional eater. I eat when I'm board, I eat when I'm stressed, I eat when I'm sad, happy or I eat just because I saw a food commercial while watching TV! How many of you can relate? I know that I am not alone!

Food addiction is an addiction, however, I am learning to change my reactions of cause and effect (emotions = eating). Food can no longer be the, go to, first line of defense! I have to consciously look at the cause of my desire to eat. I must ask myself, "Instead of replacing food with this feeling I am having, just what is this feeling I am having and what can I do to bring resolve to this feeling instead of eating? Can I go for a walk, count to 20, take a nap, reach out to a friend or loved one, drink some fluids, write my thoughts down and acknowledge them?

We can change old the old programing by starting new habits and getting into a new routine of how we deal with ourselves. Our VGS is just one tool in our box of changes and by adding new tools to our box we can change and succeed in being the change we want to be in our lives!

We are no longer going to nurture our emotions with food! What changes are you making with your relationship with food and emotions?

Be well and be happy!
  2. Readytobethin@51
    Readytobethin@51
    I am/was a very much an emotional eater! This new tool (my sleeve) is giving me the will power to recognize my addiction and fight against it. So far I'm doing planned organized eating only. If my head gets hungry in between or starts craving the bad stuff, I grab a bottle of water or put a piece of sugar free gum in my mouth until it passes. I've got to stick to the plan.
  3. Graciegurl
    Graciegurl
    @ Readyto; It is great that you have alternatives ready at the reach! I know that when I have the sleeve done I will be soooo very limited on food in take... I know that my mind will make the connection with the stomach and new habits will begin to be created! And when I am craving something to eat I know this will be head hunger and not physical hunger. Head hunger will not rule!!!!!!
  4. Mccourtl
    Mccourtl
    Hi Gracie!

I always love your posts, but I think you've hit the nail on the head when you talk about writing your thoughts down. I think journaling is extremely beneficial in terms of dealing with our emotions. Journaling is a concrete way to recognize and acknowledge an issue. Sometimes when I overeat, I can't quite put my finger on what is bothering me. Journaling forces a person to think about what is going on in their life and hopefully alternate ways of dealing with the issue. Once we know what we're dealing with, it's easier to devise a strategy (other than eating) to deal with the emotion. And...sometimes I've discovered that what I originally THOUGHT was bothering me wasn't the real problem at all.
  5. Graciegurl
    Graciegurl
    Hi McC!

Thank you for the appreciation! Writing one's thoughts down is an excellent tool and your right, sometimes what we thought was the issue was not at all! I have struggled with journaling in the past, perhaps this is why I enjoy doing these types of blogs! However, I think that when we see what we have written down we can sit with those feelings and see what comes up for us. I am going to make an effort to at least write about my journey at least once 3 times a wk. to start!

Be well and be happy!