Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Tricare

1. msbin
    msbin
    How do you get the process of trying to get tricare to approve you for gastric sleeve?
  2. Liliana Arleen
    Liliana Arleen
    Is easier if you get a referral from your PCM to get the surgery done at the base ( if they have a bariatric clinic ) Where are you? The first step is to get a referral from your primary care dr...
  3. angiej
    angiej
    I agree with Lilian, I went to my PCM crying in tears and told her I have given up after years of trying, etc. etc. She then submitted a referral and it went directely to my local military hospital MAMC. Good Luck.
  4. merrowl
    merrowl
    I had my first bypass in 1978 and had no problem. In Dec 2011 I had to have a modified sleeve done due to diabetic problems and the surgent had no problem geting me approved because it was helpful in getting me back in control. Good luck. They will probably only keep you over night unless there are complications and that also helped in getting approval. If your weight is harmful to you or you have other problems it seems to be easier.
  5. Baseball Mom
    Baseball Mom
    I had no problem getting approved. PCM referred me and it was actually a very short process. I have had a harder time getting a dermatology referral than i did for this surgery!
  6. RachieV
    RachieV
    I agree with the ladies on this.....First step is to talk with your Primary Care Physician. I for example, spoke with my PCP two weeks ago, the same day she put the referral in, I heard from the Bariatic clinic at the hospital (WBAMC). During that phone call I was set up for my orientation, bariatric group meeting and the referral was put in for my psych referral. I went to my orientation last thursday (a week after my referral) and yesterday I was set up for my psych appointment. I am hoping that I will be in surgery at the end of the month or first part of May. Where are you stationed?
  7. Flutrby429@yahoo.com
    Flutrby429@yahoo.com
    I saw my PCM e d of Dec. but didnt see the surgeon until Feb 1 because be had just come off of deployment and was on leave. I'm pretty healthy so I didn't have to do too many additional appointments. I had two visits with the NUT, a psych visit, a swallow study, blood draw and a seminar. I will be sleeved this Tues. it took me approximately 9 weeks.
  8. Flutrby429@yahoo.com
    Flutrby429@yahoo.com
    Let me add that I didn't deal with Tricare. I went through an MTF. Using Tricare for a civilian surgeon will be different and will take much longer than going through an MTF
  9. Melisorig
    Melisorig
    When we lived in the States I could not get Tricare to cover my surgery. But now we have Tricare overseas and I didn't even need a federal.
  10. GinaMarieShip
    GinaMarieShip
    I'm having my surgery at Keesler AFB, Biloxi MS. My PCM gave me a referral on March 14th then I had my orientation on April 12th. My first appointment with my surgeon is on May 3rd. Still waiting for my nutrition appointment and psych appointment. Does everyone have to get a sleep study done?