Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Welcome all Hoosiers

1. AmyLess
    AmyLess
    Please give us an intro and brief bio so we can get this group rolling. I'll go first.

I'm Amy and live on Indy's south side. I've been sleeved for 2 years following 25 years of struggling with my weight. In 2007 I reached my all time high and was diagnosed with diabetes, high cholesterol, and dealing with arthritis in my knees, neck, and back. I tried to shed some weight, but bounced right back.

In 2010, my son moved himself and his 2 kids back home - long story. Both are autistic and my weight proved to be a real hindrance in dealing with the kids, so I started looking into surgery. Anthem had added VSG in December of 2010. That fact, and the co-morbid factor meant I would qualify for surgery. I started the process in June of 2011 at 36.9 BMI. I was approved in August. I had my surgery September 7, 2011 when my BMI was 32. I lost 28lbs pre-surgery by eating like I thought I would 1 year out.

I had some issues which required a 6 day stay in the hospital, but by day 73, I turned a corner and have felt great since then.

Now, 2 years later, I am working on closing in on my personal goal of 120 lbs. At this stage the going is slow. To top it off, I gained a few lbs this summer, but in the last 2 months have lost most of that with...wait for it...diet and exercise.

I look forward to hearing your stories and lending support to each other.
  2. julrs13
    julrs13
    Hi, I also live on the Southside of Indy in the Camby area. I had my surgery on 10/16/13. I started at 228# and was at 212# day of surgery. I am down to 201 now and have been in a stall for 2 weeks now. I am getting discouraged when day after day my weight doesn't change. I am getting my protein and fluids in and just can't get the scales to budge since I started the pureed foods at 2 weeks. I am still extremely happy with the changes I see in my body. The 27# have made a big difference. I get out and walk a lot and work extra hard on the house. I have bad arthritis and bursitis in my shoulders, hips and knees, so can't do any heavy duty exercise. I am beginning to think that maybe that is why I am not losing weight. Can you tell me if this ever happened to you? I see you are 2 yrs post. I want to get to 135, but am beginning to feel like I will be stuck at 200 forever. I HOPE NOT!
  3. AmyLess
    AmyLess
    My suggestion is to make puree foods low carb - so meats and non-starchy veggies. Carbs caused an immediate stall with me. Limit exercise to walking and try to keep moving when not exercising. I do aerobic bed making (running one piece up to the beds at a time) and I play Dance Central with my grand kids on the xBox. Exercise does not need to be hard - especially when you are so calorie restricted. Honestly, I didn't push the food. It took over 2 months to be able to get in 60 grams of protein a day when I was sick. I still drink 60 grams of my protein every day.

I bought a bodymedia fit prior to surgery and that took the guesswork out of calories in/calories out. I know exactly where I am calorie-wise and what I need to do physically to reach my daily and weekly goal. It's an incredible accountability tool.
  4. mdeerberg
    mdeerberg
    I'm from the south side of indianapolis as well. I have been struggling with my weight for years. So many ups and downs. I have yet to have surgery. I have completed my NUT classes and psych requirements and solely waiting on the payment/insurance options. My insurance denied But I also have a Hiatal Hernia that needs fixed. My doctor is highly involved in helping me get things covered and situated. It's frustrating and defeating...but I'm physically and emotionally ready for this journey.

I cannot wait for me knees not to hurt, not to pull my shirt down constantly to cover my rear, to not be short of breath by simple tasks, to keep up with my granddaughter and be so much healthier than I've been in years.

Glad there are people close by with same issues. Makes it feel not so alone.
  5. Momof3boys
    Momof3boys
    I live in Greenwood. I have not been sleeved yet. I have my dietician consult and psych eval today. My surgeon is Dr. Steven Clark.
    Are there any hints or suggestions you want to pass along? How long did you have to wait until you could exercise? Did you start walking right away?
    I know the pain associated with surgery is different for each person but who had pain so bad you couldn't walk? If not bad, please also tell me. I'm looking to go back to work ASAP after my surgery.
    What is/was your biggest hurdle or struggle with having the surgery?
  6. Pooky
    Pooky
    I live in Greenwood also and was sleeved this past Wednesday (6/4/14). I had Dr. Shamsedeen with Mendlebaum assisting of course. I have struggled with my weight since I got out of college - so the past 20+ years. I had tried the medical weight loss program at St. Francis and lost some 40 lbs, then gained it all back within a year. So, after being diagnosed with high blood pressure and pre-diabetes, I decided I just needed to do this and give myself another chance at living a healthy life. I officially started the process in late February I believe so it actually went pretty quickly. I was released from the hospital 30 hrs later. I haven't had any issues yet, and I stopped my meds for gas and nausea not long after I got home. I found that once i got to walking, the gas dispersed. I had a couple of episodes of dry heaves, but I think that was the anesthesia because it only happened the day I got home. I work from home, so i planned to go back to work tomorrow full time but I think i might try 1/2 day first.

And I do have a wonderful husband who has been so supportive, and a 7 yr old daughter who doesn't really understand what's going on. I didn't go into detail with her as I thought she was a little young to understand. I cannot wait to get my wedding ring off my pinky and onto my ring finger, my feet to stop hurting, and to be able to go into a store to purchase clothes and not hate it before i even get there.
  7. DonnaH
    DonnaH
    Anyone from Clarksville area. Surgery in two days. Very excited and a little scared.
  8. DonnaH
    DonnaH
    how do u join group.
  9. GigiUSA
    GigiUSA
    Hello Hoosiers!!! I am from New Palestine (east of Indianapolis) and am scheduled to be sleeved in Mexico on July 3rd. Just a little about me...

I have been married for 14 years, 17 years ago my husband and I started the process of blending our 5 children. Since that time... Like every family, we have had our ups and downs, but here we are 17 years later with our 5 children, a daughter in law, a son in law, 1 grandson, 2 granddaughters and 1 on the way ... just days away I work full time and my husband is a firefighter. He also does construction on his off days so he is gone a lot. We also have custody of our 3 year old grandson right now .... So my life is basically nuts! I have been there for everyone and lost myself in the process. I can't tell you how excited I am for this opportunity to reclaim my life! I turned 50 last year and felt so BLAH.... I knew I had to do something, I just did not know what.

Now that I have made the decision and scheduled surgery I am really excited. I have the support of my husband and the limited people I have so far confided in. Does Indy have any kind of a support group? Since I am having my surgery in Mexico I am not affiliated with any local Bariatric surgeons and their hospital groups. Just wondering. Frankly, I am not sure when I would fit it in... that is why this forum has been a godsend for me.

Best of luck to everyone in their weight loss journeys!
  10. turtleRose
    turtleRose
    I live in Indianapolis. I just submitted my paperwork to insurance yesterday (8/8), so I don't have a date yet, and now I sit and wait. I am going through St. Francis with Dr. Mandelbaum as my surgeon. I so excited to start this part of my life!!
  11. kre8drms
    kre8drms
    Greetings & Salutations fellow Hoosiers,

My name is Mo'nique Renee and I'm a Private Chef/Holistic Health and Wellness Coach.
    I've recently moved to West Indianapolis - relocating from Houston TX, by way of San Diego California, with my job. I have been struggling with my weight, for the past 25 years, reaching my high at 276.5 lbs...Knock on wood I have NOT yet been diagnosed with diabetes, high cholesterol or any other health elements but at the rate that I've been going, I'm sure it was bound to happen. As of today through healthy food choices and unwanted exercise, I'm down to 206 lbs. Yes, it's still a daily struggle to keep the weight off. I use to think that by being a vegetarian for the past 16+ years that the weight should have just fallen off (WRONG) Lol. Although for the most part I was eating predominantly healthy, I was highly addicted to one thing " DAIRY". I couldn't live without cheese, milk or eggs. After watching the documentary (What The Health) I too decided to finally cut out all dairy, and amazingly enough the weight has slowing been coming off. Hopefully by the time I have my surgery in December, I will be at a even 200 lbs., Fingers crossed. Again, healthy food choices and exercise has help me to maintain. I am really excited and ready to start this new chapter in my life!

Blessed Be,
  12. scogra
    scogra
    My name is Scott and I am a graphic designer in North Central Indiana. As I have read often, I too have been struggling with my weight (since puberty). A year ago at my annual physical, I was told i needed immediately to be on High Blood Pressure medicine and needed to drop weight to live beyond my 50's. My HCP ordered labs and luckily, no diabetes or other health issues are present. I started the requirements for insurance and in my 5th month, our company changed insurance providers and the surgery is no longer covered. Some depression set in but I am self paying and heading to Tijuana this August. I am excited for the opportunity to get myself healthy so I can lead a more active lifestyle!