Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Hi!

1. jenschmitt
    jenschmitt
    My name is Jenni, and I am on day 3 of recovery. The surgery went great, Dr. Kowalski is great. I got to have tomato soup today, and it was delicious! I'm looking forward to connecting with other Kowalski Sleevers!!

Jenni
  2. cab0ad
    cab0ad
    Hey Jen! Glad to meet you! So you are done with the sleeve. I'm just starting my journey. I have my first appt. on the 21st of Feb. Hopefully since I'm self pay it will go pretty quickly and I'll get my surgery date in March. That is my hope. Were you self pay or insurance? How did the surgery go? Did you experience a lot of pain? He has you eating tomato soup already only 3 days out? wow! I thought we had to be on a liquid diet a lot longer than that. Did you do the 2 week liquid diet beforehand okay? I'm really worried I won't be able to go 2 weeks only drinking protien shakes! I hate protine shakes! Did he allow any other food? Gosh, I'd love to hear all about your journey! The more details the merrier! How much weight are you trying to lose? What did Dr. Kowalski put as your goal?
  3. jenschmitt
    jenschmitt
    Fist off, Congrats on starting the journey! How long did it take you to finally decide to do it? It took me 8 months. I did mine through my insurance, so I had to have dietician appointments and psych evaluations (if they don't tell you to, I highly recommend meeting with Dr. Sabapathy the psychologist at least once, he was great). Then there is a 4 hour class that is required to all patient. The class drags on, but its VERY informational. The two week diet was hard, on day three I broke and ate a fistful of Fritos but felt guilty afterwars and spit them out. You get to have Jello, popsicles, and broth. It's hard but fortunately after day 3 its pretty easy. The surgery went great, it hurt pretty bad right afterward, but by the end of the day it just felt like a rough ab workout. And you get to start on strained cream based soups 3 days after. He put my goal as my BMI goal which is 180, but I would be ecstatic at 220. Let me know if you have any other ?'s
  4. cab0ad
    cab0ad
    Jen, how did he come up with your goal??? I am starting at 295 and I'd like to know what kind of goal is obtainable. I'd be extatic to be under 200 but I don't know if he'll think that is "unobtainable".

I have been looking into surgery for about 3 years and just now got the guts to do it. My first appointment is 1 week from today. I hope the process after the first appointment is rapid. I have moments of panic already and I just need to get it done before I chicken out.

a fist full of chips, eh?? I'll be lucky if I can keep myself to that much on the 2 week pre op diet! and you spit them out! LOL. I can so see that! was that the hardest part for you? the pre-op diet?

did you do the test where they stick the camera down your throat to see your tummy? how did that go? is it terribly painful? what about the heart tests? did you have to do those?

I'm so glad you are doing well! can't wait to hear more from you again!
  5. cab0ad
    cab0ad
    hey, what is a "strained" cream soup? isn't cream soup non-lumpy anyway? and did you mean we get jello, popcicles, and broth on the 2 week pre-op diet too? thanks!
  6. Nikki_1985
    Nikki_1985
    Thank you for sharing Jen. I start my two week liquid diet tomorrow and its really bummin me out. The shakes are absolutely terrible! On the bright side I stay full longer because it take me an hour to choke them down. Your comment that by the 3rd day it starts getting better gives me hope that I will make it through lol.
  7. jenschmitt
    jenschmitt
    Cheryl, They determine your BMI, and what the ideal weight is for someone your height. When you see that weight you may freak out. I'm 6'2 so anywhere between 180 and 190 is ideal. I also know the way I am built and I would be happy under 230.

You will learn ALL about what you can and can't eat at your four hour class. Very informational, but it does drag on. Strained cream soups are soups without chunks. I can have low fat broccoli cheese soup, but it can't have any broccoli in it.

You will do great! Kowalski is great, and his assistant John (I think) is also phenomenal (not to mention, in my opinion, kinda good looking. but we'll keep that between us ).

Nikki, The two week diet is hard, but I will tell you that with my chicken broth I added mesquite seasoning and a dash of hot sauce. Made it better, and hot sauce is an appetite suppressant. Best of luck!!

Jenni
  8. jenschmitt
    jenschmitt
    Oh a couple other things

Nikki- The shakes are better with skim milk, and I highly recommend the strawberry shortcake one. I've tried vanilla and chocolate also, but that one was my favorite. And be prepared. If you're going to be away from home for a awhile pack a shake or two and some jello (I had a lunchbox with me). This will help ease any temptations while you're out and about. Appletini Crystal Light was also really good when I was tired of water. Like I said, if you can make it past day three you're pretty much golden. At least that's the way it was for me.
  9. jenschmitt
    jenschmitt
    Cheryl- Yes, you can have all of those as well as protein shakes on the two week diet. And like I said, Crystal Light is a tasty treat in lieu of water.
    I also had to have a scope done, it is to check and see if you are prone to ulcers. You're heavily sedated for it, and other than a slightly scratchy throat afterward it's painless. I think I went to the mall afterward.
    You'll have the EKG, blood work, and chest xray on a different day than the scope. With me it was the day I started the liquid diet.The EKG is also painless. Just hooking you up to a machine to check your heart. The anistesiologist will aslo talk to you that day and tell you what he will do.
  10. cab0ad
    cab0ad
    you are my hero Jen. Thanks for putting up with my nonstop questions! LOL! Guess the scope day is another day hubby has to take off to drive me home... I keep adding these days up in my head and it is horrifying me!