Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

New to the group

1. Graciegurl
    Graciegurl
    Hello All,

Just joined the group and wanted to say Hi! Looking forward to reading your stories. Fifty is the new 30 *wink* and I can't wait for my body to catch up to my mind! Now, the one thing I want to know, esp. from the ladies, is the lose skin after surgery at our age. What has your experience been so far? I am going to be very active with exercise but I also know that age and gravity plays a role.

Have a great day!

Be happy be well,

Gracie
  2. KATERRN
    KATERRN
    Hi Gracie, welcome! I had my sleeve done August 28th 2013 and have done (in my opinion) very well. I'm down 41 pounds from my initial weigh in at the doctors in May 2013 and 28 pounds since surgery. I enrolled at the YMCA and do the water aerobics 3 times a week and love it. Although I have noticed the loose skin coming on in my thighs since loosing the weight I can only imagine what it would be like if I didn't exercise. Two co-workers had the surgery and admit they DID NOT work out while loosing and they have an issue with the excess skin. I am trying to prevent that as much as possible on my end though. If I feel like a new person now I can't wait to see how I feel when I loose the additional 60 or so and reach my goal. Best of luck to you on this wonderful new journey in your life.
  3. east928
    east928
    Only 1.5 weeks out since surgery, but I do have a scar from a complicated delivery and my doctor says that scar will prevent some of my skin from repositioning properly. Most of my weight is in my belly anyway, so I guess I'm just going to have to plan on getting some skin removed later in that area. I've heard it can cost upwards like $10,000 dollars and insurance usually doesn't pay. But hey, you know what? If I have to beg borrow and steal, I'll get the money and get rid of the skin. I'm just hoping it's just going to be in one major place instead of all over. Yikes! Too soon for me to get into the pool, but I've joined our local YMCA also, and can't wait to do those water arerobics!
  4. Graciegurl
    Graciegurl
    @ Katerrn, Thanks for the welcome! I can only imagine what will happen if I do not work out... I do like working out once I get back into the routine of doing so. I had surgery on my wrist and hand last year and have not been back to the gym since. I know I need to get back and start .. just need a kick in the butt! I too cannot wait to see how I feel after losing 50 lbs and more! There is so much support here on this site and I look forward to sharing my journey with you all just as you all are sharing your journey with us! Keep on doing the strong work!!!! Here's to us!

@ East.. I too have a scar, a rather large one, from having my gallbladder out about 26 yrs ago... Hmmm, well, it will be what it will be! I know that if you have health issue from the excess skin your Dr. can code these issues in a way in which the insurance companies will provide coverage. I would talk with your Dr. and ask him how to go about documenting the health issues! How are things going since surgery?
  5. LisaNunu
    LisaNunu
    Welcome Gracie! I had my surgery in July and am down 70 lbs. I still have a long ways to go (high BMI) but already feel so much better. I joined a gym and am excercising too - I expecially like the weights - kind of theraputic! I am noticing loose skin and am sure I will probably have to have it removed from my thighs, arms and stomach (oh and have my boobs put back somewhere in the general area of my chest) but like I said started with a 50+ BMI so my poor skin has been uber stretched for years. Maybe it will surprise me and shrink down more than I think! Woo HOO - that would be awesome!