Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

SERIOUSLY considering the sleeve, but Mexico???

1. BigMac
    BigMac
    Hi everyone,

I have not had the sleeve yet. I'm 52, pushing 300+ (43 BMI) and assume I am experiencing similar problems that everyone else on this site has. The simple task of putting on my socks, always being the "Big guy" in the room or (not to be crude) just trying to wipe my butt without pulling a muscle. I'm embarrassed and hate myself in the body I have created. I've type II diabetes, high BP, high cholesterol and I'm always tired. I have a sedentary job rife with stress and am becoming desperate. My insurance sucks and won't cover the sleeve (which is the only one I will consider) so I have been researching Mexico. But frankly I have a great deal of reservations with having surgery in Mexico. Honestly, Mexico and surgery sound like oil and water to me for reasons that any American would deduce. Any words of wisdom, advise, comments or suggestions would be welcomed.

Thanks,

Mac
  2. MediaHound
    MediaHound
    If that's your only option, do it. The healthcare system there is just fine. Don't buy into the local surgeons around the USA, and the media, who all have an agenda and want to put an end to medical tourism. It costs the USA billions in potential revenue that's lost forever to other countries. USA and Mexico don't have borders because they were best friends and agreed to situate as neighbors. The borders are exactly where they are because battles were fought for them. There are hundreds of places in Mexico you can pick from. Don't die waiting..
  3. painfreenow
    painfreenow
    Hi BigMac....I was sleeved on 07/23/13 in Tijuana, Baja Ca with Ready 4 a Change....My doctor was Dr. Fernando Garcia Govea......he also has a facebook page under his name; research him.....everything went good for me and the hospital staff was WONDERFUL too I have lost 52 lbs so far and feel great....I don't regret this journey.....good luck
  4. paradoxgal
    paradoxgal
    Once you have read so many peoples' experiences on this forum that have gone to Mexico and had have nothing but great things to say about it, you'll be thinking more seriously about it. And try a little harder to not be insulting to many of us that have chosen to go there and to be sleeved that are straight thinking Americans
    Seriously, I'm not offended but it does sound a little condescending when people that haven't done their research start making it sound like only a desperate idiot would have it done... ha!
  5. BigMac
    BigMac
    Oh no insult intended at all. It's no secret Mexico is a 3rd world country and I would bet most Americans had some sort of reservations before making their decision. We've all learned that if it's sounds to good to be true... well ya know. People wouldn't have gone there if it weren't for the cost I would assume. I, like many people, have crappy insurance that won't pay for a sleeve so Mexico is an option that needs to be explored. If I offended anyone, that was never my intention and I apologize. Years ago I had a cavity filled by a dentist in Nogales Mexico. He mixed the filling with his fingers and crammed it into the cavity with his fingers (no gloves). We were trying to save a buck and mind you, that was 30 years ago. That is the totality of my personal experience with Mexican medical and I would venture to say they have come along way since then. Once again, sorry if I insulted any one.
  6. prairie_dispatcher
    prairie_dispatcher
    When I had the initial call with the facilitator from Weight Loss Forever and she mentioned Mexico I almost hung up. I too have heard the stories about "black market" medicine/dentistry in Mexico. I am a nurse and bad things ran through my mind ... for about a minute.
    C
    The facilitator had her own surgery done in Mexico ( that definitely helped) but she also emailed me a thick document about how to do your own research on doctors and clinics in Mexico.

One of the biggest factors in my decision is that most bariatric clinics only use the OR for their bariatric surgeries. In Canada a hospital OR is not dedicated. You'll have a c-section, traumatic injury, tonsillectomy, and removal of a limb due to gangrene all in the same room. Yea it is cleaned and sterilized after each but nothing is perfect. And then I thought about the risks od infection in a normal hospital. I shattered my ankle last year needing emergency surgery. When it was done, I was put on an "over-flow" geriatric/ortho unit. Eeewwww is all I could say. 4 people to a room and I refused to touch anything without sanitizer there was so mucb coughing and stuff going on in there.

Anyhow, I did countless hours of research and found a doctor and clinic I am comfortable with. It's not an easy task because things like cost vary quite a bit. If you are serious about wanting surgery (and not waiting the 3-10 years like here in Alberta) do some research on mexican options. Whatever you decide in the end ... give it a thought at least. Good luck!!!
  7. ShannaBanana
    ShannaBanana
    I went to Mexico on March 1,2013. I used Dr.Almanza. Very nice man and staff. I've Had no problems and very happy dso far. I've lost 154lbs . I wish you the best on your decision. I went because of no insurance too. Feel free to message me for any questions.
  8. bigbob
    bigbob
    bigmac I had the sleeve 8/12/13 i have heard that the doctors in mexico are good they come here to train on that surgery so find a good doctor down there and get it done my doctor here in las vegas told me the surgery would add at least 10 years to my life i started out at 381# now im 316# 65 pounds gone feel so much better and i can put my socks on again by myself.