Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Frustrated

1. nana banana
    nana banana
    My insurance company requires a 5% weight loss be met in a 6 month period. No loss for me despite all efforts. Dx last week with hypothyroidism & last month with Vitamin D insufficiency. I'm freaking out, frustrated & will more than likely not going to have my surgery in 2013. Called the ins. Company to see if I can get this requirement waived & my PCP has to call them. I e-mailed her regarding this. Unfortunately she is leaving her practice....last day is this Friday. I have an appointment with her on Friday.

I think I'm done whining, although I still feel like kicking something.
  2. pineapple
    pineapple
    How frustrating. Assuming, however, you weigh, say, 300 pounds, a 5% weight loss is 15 pounds. Now, I am in no way any kind of expert on anything, ever...I can only share with you my experience in the past few weeks as I did my preop diet. The first week, it was 2 protein shakes and a meal of 350 calories. Week two was 4 protein shakes per day. In those two weeks, I lost 13 pounds. Was it hard? Was I sad about not being able to eat? Heck yes. And it was really no fun at all. And I was INCREDIBLY GRATEFUL that my doctor required it, because I was better prepared for how hard post-op would be. I do NOT mean to sound unsympathetic, but I have PCOS, hypothyroid from a total thyroidectomy, and I weighed 300+ pounds. If I can lose, you can lose. My point is that your post sounds like something I would have posted as far as trying to lose weight. It's kind of a double edged sword writing on this forum, because it's like you can't bs a bs-er. Try a two-week pre-op type diet and you will see what I mean. Or maybe your DR will call the insurance and all will go smoothly? Either way, please don't kick me--I am only trying to tell you what you already know. Peaceful thoughts to you, and keep us posted, please.
  3. nana banana
    nana banana
    No problem pineapple. I have to lose the weight before I can even begin meeting with the bariatric team. Truthfully I'm mostly frustrated with myself...
  4. Ladyinwaiting
    Ladyinwaiting
    counter intuitive, isn't it. You can loose weight which is why you need surgery and you can't have surgery because you can't lose weight. Got to love insurance company's. Have you lost any weight within the year that the doctor can document and say that you have tried? And you should kick something...go for it!!!!!
  5. pineapple
    pineapple
    Yes. I deeply understand where you are coming from when you say you are frustrated with yourself. I hate how sometimes, the only way OUT is THROUGH. Wish the answer was always "eat one half-gallon of ice cream, or one medium-sized chocolate cake, on alternating nights, for three weeks" or something easy like that. haha...but really...I get it...
  6. Victoria71
    Victoria71
    I had the same problem....I started exercising 1 and sometimes 2 times a day. Walked using myfitness pal it is an app. So exercising at gym or walking did it for me. I love fitness pal it and it tracks calories burned. I had to also go on to premier protein shakes ( chocolate is amazing) Costco or SAMS club has them. two a day and a sensible dinner with celery and jicama soaked in lemon juice as snacks for 2 weeks. the way it was explained to me the more you move with thyroid disease it helps. I get it though, I'm always tired and no energy, but I make myself go go go! I'm 6 days out and it took me 1 1-2 year to be eligible for surgery ref my thyroid not the weight loss.