Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

An ounce of prevention...

1. purplhouse
    purplhouse
    So here I am, with surgery less than three weeks away and to avoid thinking about that, since recovery is mostly out of my control and bound to be unpleasant even in the best case scenarios, I am instead stressing over my skin again. I have been using a skin-firming lotion every night since I made the decision to get sleeved, and have recently started taking a collagen-boosting supplement, but is there anything else I can be doing to reduce the inevitable sag? I'm a realist. I have nearly 200 pounds to lose and I'm more or less resigned to skin reduction surgery when all this is over. I just don't want to look like a bald flying squirrel in the meantime.

Ideas?
  2. JuliaW
    JuliaW
    I am about 5 weeks from my surgery, and I'm having the same thoughts. I have 200 pounds to lose also. I'm interested to hear what everyone has to say!
  3. Dair67
    Dair67
    Me too! Terrified of excess skin and hair loss. I have terribly thin hair already and can't afford to lose anymore! From reading the forums, it appears that exercise and protien are the biggest keys!
  4. LisaNunu
    LisaNunu
    So far (3 months out) I have not had an issue with hair loss - but my skin is already drooping some! I figure amount of weight to lose (170) and my age (53) - I AM going to have the loose skin. I have already started saving my pennies for surgery in a couple of years. Is that way cheaper in Mexico like the sleeve is? I don't think my insurance will cover any of that.... though I have a long time to go before I get to the point to start worrying about that! ha!
  5. CarriD
    CarriD
    Hair loss.. 3.5 mos post op and my hair started shedding like crazy about three weeks ago, I have a short crazy spikey do anyway.. but now it's thin as all hell! I had to cut it even shorter than usual because it just wouldn't do what I wanted it to do. No one else seems to notice how thin it is, but I surely do! Doc says it will end soon and just stay on top of protien, my doc is 32 years old and bald I am not sure he is the correct person to give advise based soley on that thought!
  6. Dair67
    Dair67
    Carrie that is funny... I guess you have to rely on his education, not his age and hair status, but I totally get where you're coming from.
  7. fluffynomore
    fluffynomore
    So far no hair loss, I do take extra biotin and I hope it helps.
  8. teresaloves2trvl
    teresaloves2trvl
    I didn't have hair loss until 8 months out. Believe me, I am eating more protein now. As for the sagging skin-I don't think any amount of firming lotion in the world is going to help. It is just an unfortunate reality we all must face. The only way to fix it is more surgery. I know...not what you wanted to hear. I wish I could have all of my extra stuff removed.