Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

scared

1. bchevery
    bchevery
    hi my name is betty and I am from Baltimore md I am 60 yrs oldi am hoping to be sleeved this fall but I am so afraid but I am so tired of my knees hurting and my back my breast look like they are going to explode I cant hold my pee I look like I am about to have a baby my belly is so big I have sleep appnea god help me
  2. karensuue
    karensuue
    good for you, taking control of your life..
  3. Kelli D
    Kelli D
    You will feel like a new woman once you have the surgery and start losing weight! Good luck to you!!
  4. hollandmiss
    hollandmiss
    Hi Betty...I am 58 and I was sleeved on 5/29...I am down 53 lbs so far and I feel like 20 years younger...best decision you can make.
  5. DaleLanc
    DaleLanc
    Do not fear the surgery. The surgery is the EASY part. Ask yourself if you can conform to the new rules for a Sleever. If you have a better chance of being successful post-op, go for it. Thank God for my sleeve. I can get up out of a chair and walk across the room w/o thinking about it. And that "about to explode" feeling is completely gone. If you don't have a cPap, go get a sleep study and get one! It's the second best thing I've ever done for myself. I am down 113 in 7 months, and I still use my cPap. It feels soooo good to have such good sleep. It helps me be successful w/my new Sleever life. Puts the life back in your years!
  6. LtWeight
    LtWeight
    Hi Betty, I was sleeved on 7/29/13 and while I only had a BMI of 36 starting out it in January was enough to give me high cholesterol, high blood pressure, sleep apnea, and a bad ankle and knee. I have lost about 32 lbs since I started the process in January with a little of 20 lbs since my one week pre op liquid diet. I already feel better and at my one week follow up appointment I was told to hold off on my medications for my 2 month lab work to see where I stand with those. My BP was great at my appointment and during my hospital stay so I'm so happy already and I know this was the best decision for me!
  7. judge52
    judge52
    Hi Betty I am 61 and finishing up my pre-op appt and looking at surgery in Oct. I too am getting nervouse about the operation particularly at my age. Sometimes I ask myself what the heck are you thinking. However I have all the co morbidities and at a weight of 300+ my quality of life is something that really concerns me. I have done a ton of research on this procedure and am confident this is the right one for me. If you search gastric sleeve surgery for the elderly you will find experiences and discussions from those who were in there 70 and who have had success.
    Do your research locate and experienced surgeon, attend group meetings and as the process goes along you will start to feel more confident about your decission. It seems like a lot to do before surgery but having completed all the pre op testing you will have confidence that the surgery will be a success . It will also make you aware of any problems that you have that you weren't previously aware of.
    Best Wishes
    Judge52
  8. ChrisJ
    ChrisJ
    Betty, I am 68 and do not regret having the sleeve for one moment. I am down 70 lbs since December with 15 or so to go. At first with all the food restrictions, I wondered if I could live the life I asked for. But as the weeks went by and it got easier, and the weight came off, I felt free for the first time in my adult life. I love my sleeve even when it talks back to me. I know I didn't take care of myself in that moment and my friend will not let me get away with that. Go for it, Betty, you will love your new life.
  9. Lona
    Lona
    Best of luck to you Betty! You will feel great after surgery and start to lose weight - you will have your life back!
  10. OAM
    OAM
    Hi Betty! I think the best question you need to ask yourself is this: How do I want to feel when I am 70? Then you should have your answer. Best of Luck to you!!!
  11. ToesTen
    ToesTen
    I am just shy of 2 weeks post op, and already I can say "I wish I did it sooner"! I am down almost 20 pounds and AM NOT HUNGRY. Everyone is right - the surgery is the easy part. You have to be prepared to SLOW DOWN your eating and shrink it all. But I have been eating less than 600 calories a day, am not hungry and feel great! You will, too!
    Keep reading here - I am new to this website and these fols are SO supportive. You are entering a wonderful community.
  12. vivianl
    vivianl
    I spent so much time being scared and worrying about the surgery that I didn't even think about afterwards I turn 50 in 2 weeks and I didn't wang to spend the second half of my life like the first half. I am 2 months post op and I have lost 60 lbs. I feel like a different person. I am having a lot of trouble eating though. I throw up all meat and fish. If I eat too fast or too much I throw up. Sometimes I circle the kitchen afraid to eat. I read a lot about learning to live with your new tummy. I still don't regret it. I feel so good and j am looking forward to the next half of my life. Nothing else worked. This works. But it is really hard as well
  13. DiPri
    DiPri
    Hi Betty, I'm 58 and wished I had done it much sooner- didn't dive in until my weight had taken its toll on my health. Had surgery in Dec- am down 70+ pounds and had an exam and blood tests and was told everything was great BP, cholesterol, liver and Kidney function and am now off all medications. My knees don't hurt and find myself being more active without having to make myself , just feel good and keep going. It's a life style adjustment that is so worth it. Be happy and proud you're taking control for a better future. Good luck and keep us informed we're here for you!
  14. iamredforever
    iamredforever
    Hi there. I am 65 and had the sleeve done 5 months ago. The first 2-3 days you will probably wonder why you did this but believe me you change your mind very fast. I have lost 58 lbs. so far, my doctor says I am on track and that the older you are longer it takes to lose the weight. You will do just fine. Follow your doctors advice and take things slow. I have healed very fast and had no complications at all. I am off most of my meds. which is wonderful. I can cross my legs, sit in regular seats, cut my own toenails and put on socks. I am very glad I did this. Take care and spoil yourself.
  15. joanaheter
    joanaheter
    I am 55 and was sleeved on July 3rd, 2013. Best decision of my life it does make you feel younger...I am a slow looser but at least I am loosing...
  16. BCmomabear
    BCmomabear
    I'm 56 and sleeved 1 year ago. I am down 78 lbs. No more BP meds or Lipitor. No more sore back, knees and hips. No more stress incontinence or leaking when I sneeze. No more snoring (OK, just a little). No more acid reflux. What have I gained: energy, mobility, self confidence, control over what I put in my mouth, no more leaks, no more meds (except TECTA , a type of antacid we all should be on), size 16 - 18 so an entirely new wardrobe. !0 years ago I was rejected for a group life insurance policy through work. Now I have been accepted, even though I am 10 years older. That is very telling about how the weight loss has improved not only my day to day health, but overall, long term health. I thought maybe I was too old to bother with this surgery. Now I KNOW it was the best thing I could have done. The down side... I am restricted in volume and need to focus on eating quality foods.... hummm.... what a trade off.
  17. Cindola
    Cindola
    Hi Betty, I'll be 61 next week and got my sleeve about ten months ago. It was the best thing that I've ever done for myself, I just wish that I'd had it done ten years ago! I am not saying that it is easy and I still have weight to lose, but I am able to control my emotional eating and am making better food choices all the way around. I still deal with head/taste hunger -- but recently have been exploring ways to satisfy my taste cravings in a healthy way. I have had some very long stalls, but during my stalls there have been so many NSV's that make the holding patterns worth it. I will also say that losing slowly means that my body is tightening up as I lose (no Mommy Makeover for me). I think that I entered this whole process with my eyes wide open knowing that my sleeve would be a tool that would work as well as I use it -- also, I don't beat myself up when I mess up -- I just work at being better the next day. I found that my recovery was smooth, not much pain, gas was easily controlled with walking, walking, walking, sipping water was the best (but hot ginger tea was even better), and sleep was truly something that I craved and needed during my recovery! Remember this isn't an instant cure, but it takes time and effort on your part as well!
  18. Ladyinwaiting
    Ladyinwaiting
    I am 52 with a deteriorated back and fibromyalgia. I am already starting to feel the benefits from the surgery. Down almost 40 lbs since staring my pre op diet. Just the decrease in sugar and carbs has helped me tremendously. Good luck. This should be the best time of our lives, we deserve to feel good.
  19. Narasweet
    Narasweet
    Well said everyone, I am 58, off all meds including insulin, down 47 lbs which included almost half before my op July 11, hard-yes,doable-yes!! Worth doing?? Absa-bloody-lutely! Best of luck.....sends hugs. Christine xxx
  20. rswear51
    rswear51
    Hi all
    I am Sandy and I am third day post op from my sleeve. Feeling great - a Moderate amount of tummy soreness by otherwise tolerating my liquid diet well. Have already gotten down to one blood pressure pill just from the pre op diet of two weeks. My back had quit hurting as have my knees. I just turned 56 and wish I had done this earlier. I was 310 at the start of this - becoming a diabetic, high blood pressure, and high cholesterol...I am down to 285 already and it has made a huge difference in my ability to walk without limping and in general activity...so looking forward to what comes next. Going to go for at least 180 (I am 5'9")....The first day - I was so drugged up didn't know what was going on - second day - woke up feeling great and got to go home that afternoon. Now I am setting on my Florida patio, drinking my protein drinks and feeling pretty good....
  21. OneSlyCrook
    OneSlyCrook
    Hi Betty.

I'm brand new here and also plan to get my surgery in the fall. I feel similar to you. Its pretty awful, I know. I'm 55 yrs old and ready for this madness to be over. Let's hold one another up and we can make it through.
  22. Readytobethin@51
    Readytobethin@51
    Hi Betty, my sister is 63 and she had almost all the things that you have listed along with Type II diabetes. she was sleeved back in February and could not be happier with her decision! She was back to work after a week and is doing GREAT! Hope this helps a little.
  23. LisaNunu
    LisaNunu
    I'm 53 - had my sleeve done in July. I am down 58 pounds and already feeling much better. I have a lot of issues with my knees and back - plus giant swollen legs and feet - I can actually see my shin bone now! And I have started excercising! I never thought I would be able to do that - so the sleeve (other than the first couple of days after surgery) is super great. It is not a miracle cure - I can only eat small portions - but I have to watch what food I put in there and I had to get off my very large rump - but I do not regret this decision at all.
  24. Adele
    Adele
    Hi,

Can so relate to that feeling of being scared - I have my first appointment with my doctor this coming Wednesday. I am 55 years old and have high blood pressure (on medication) and finding it very difficult to do the simple things in life - like dressing eg putting on stockings. So, I have absolutely had enough of increasingly getting poorer and poorer in health and vitally, in my emotional well being ! Yes, like you I am scared BUT I feel I have crossed a bridge, so to speak, and there is so going back . I simply can't wait to reclaim my health. Yes, I am very excited indeed. I wish you the absolute best in the journey to wellness.
  25. readytochangemylife
    readytochangemylife
    Hi. I am going to surgeon Friday, Sept 27th. I turn 59 in October. I had a mild heart attack in 2011, along with partial knee replacement, and had to put on a CPAP. I weigh 290 lbs. and am 5 ft. tall. By my BMI, I am in the super obese category. Although I am 290, I have only gained 4 lbs. in 2 years since my heart attack. I am scared but excited. I read an earlier post, and laughed and almost cried at the same time> The post about cutting your own toe nails, putting on socks, sitting in regular seats. I so know how excited I will be to do those things. Glad to find others that understand what life is like being fat (yea, I said it)
  26. Carmen1963
    Carmen1963
    God Bless you! It's good you are doing something for yourself! My doc told me if I didn't get this done I probably wouldn't be around to collect my retirement!
  27. bchevery
    bchevery
    god bless u all I am going to do it please stay with me I will need all ur help and advice
  28. erinja
    erinja
    Hi Betty,

Best of luck and welcome to the forum. It's a great place for support and information as you move through the sleeve journey!

DaleLanc - why would you WANT to be put on a cPAP machine? I can't imagine having to try to sleep hooked up to a machine and I am struggling with this idea - I don't currently use one, but am in the test loop to be evaluated for some reason.
  29. no more extender belt !
    no more extender belt !
    Feb 17 2014 cannot come quick enough. After 40yrs (am 53) i am so looking foward to being able to do my shoe laces up without putting my foot up on a chair, and to be able to stand up straight without a groan, and most of all to be allowed to sit anywhere in a plane, obese and ppl that require etender belt are banned from sitting in the exits seat (which have leg room), and on one directly in front.