Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Borderline for surgery...

1. Mrs_Gutti
    Mrs_Gutti
    Hi all..I have a BMI of 30...I am looking at getting the sleeve because I cannot see to really lose an excess weight without really starving myself and exercising like crazy...after I lose the weight which is no where what I truly would like to be I gain it back as fast as I lost it.
    Right now I am thinking so much about this surgery that I can't even eat because of nerves, anxiety, overwhelmed with excitement. I'm afraid that I will lose too much and drop my bmi to 29 and wont qualify to surgery and thats before my pre op diet. Should I just stuff myself before pre op diet to make sure I dont loose too much?
  2. slim_again
    slim_again
    Hi Mrs Gutti, I haven't heard that you need to be a certain bmi in order to have the surgery. I was a bmi 30/31 fluctuating when I had my surgery. It didn't seem like they really cared too much about me being to skinny to have it. Mind you I went to Dr Q in mexico and it's not like they can put you through a battery of appointments before you have your surgery. I wasn't even weighed when I got there.

I did it to relieve my terrible arthritis and I've been having issues getting pregnant. Hoping that my hormones work better at a lower weight. I've had one failed ivf since then and we're trying another in Sept. On to donor eggs if that doesn't work. It's ironic that I'll be in the best shape of my life before I get pregnant now, I'm a bmi of 23.6 right now and I'm working on the last 20 lbs before I see my goal weight of 140/145 (I'm 5'9).

What I didn't have was very much nutritional support with my surgeon (he's a really great surgeon-he instructs other surgeons as well as was chief of staff for a surgery dept in a hospital, something most other docs don't have on their resume). I had bariatric nutritional support before I went through a clinic that helped me lose weight 5 years prior to having the surgery. I strongly believe that the people who succeed with the sleeve eat very similar to paleo or ketogenic diets. You cannot keep eating carby foods like rice, bread, pasta, and sliders like chips, ice cream, crackers, and other high calorie foods (cream soups that so many sleevers think are OK to have), and still lose weight and keep it off. Unless of course it's still in very measured, controlled and small quantities. The problem with things like cream soups is that you can eat lots and then you're still hungry 2 hours later. You need to re-learn how to eat, veggies, high quality protein and make exercise a staple in your life.

The sleeve's best assets are the lack of ghreline hormone always telling you you're hungry and the limited quantity of food that you can eat at once. If you eat for emotional reasons and don't pay attention to how full you feel or always need to feel full, you can very easily stretch your pouch.

Saying all that, I highly recommend getting the sleeve, low bmi or not. You still need to be very motivated to lose the weight but it helps you in your path to success. I've never felt more alive or sexy in my life, and life is far to short to feel less than great.
  3. LtWeight
    LtWeight
    When I started my process I had a BMI of 36, my insurance requires a BMI of 35-40 with health issues. I was worried that if I lost too much weight pre surgery that I wouldn't qualify. I asked at my first appointment and was assured that they use the beginning weight and I should try to lose weight before the surgery. I would ask your surgeons office so you don't stress unnecessarily!
  4. Lola Belle
    Lola Belle
    I had a very low BMI I was barely 30 an actually just a bit under, but my doctor did the surgery anyways. The FDA has strict requirements that doctors have to adhere to for the BMI qualifications. Mexico has the same guidelines, but some of the doctors don't abide by them, or when I was considering one of the Mexico doctors the lady handling the paperwork told me to lie about my height and weight to get the doctors approval. Anyways, I have had great success, but I am to the point now that I cannot stop losing and I am starting to get way too skinny. I am 5'9" and today I weighed 147. Originally I wanted to get down to 135, but I am already getting too skinny, but problem is not matter how much I eat and what I eat, I cannot stop the pounds from leaving my body. Its just at this early stage after surgery I cannot get in enough calories to sustain my weight and stop the loss. I think that is a problem for people with very low BMI like me, because the surgery was originally intended for people to lose 100 or more pounds.
  5. knewme2013
    knewme2013
    wonder advise you guys
  6. knewme2013
    knewme2013
    I am 5ft 3 " 194.5 lbs and BMI is currently at 34.1 so my bmi is not that low, but too low for US standards and no co morbidities . So I have opted to go to Mexico they have 30 and up requirement so I definitely fit those guidelines. I cant wait to get the surgery in August right in time for my 53rd by 55 I want to be all done with my concerns with weight and concentrate on other things.