Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

How do i begin the fight against excess skin BEFORE surgery?

1. Serenity3104
    Serenity3104
    Hi!
    So my main concern with having the gastric sleeve done is the excess skin afterwards.. I estimate my surgery to be somewhere around november and I'm only one month into the pre approval process...anyway though. I was considering starting to tone up and increase water intake now to start fighting the dreaded excess skin. I'm 32 years old, so I'm still fairly young.. I always try to use moisturizers because I have sensitive dry skin anyway... Does anyone have any suggestions to start combatting excess skin now?

Thanks
  2. Scoobie61
    Scoobie61
    You have your age in your favor. Honestly it comes down to your skin and genes. Sounds like your off to a great start the better condition your skin is in to begin with the better off you'll be! Congrats and good luck!
  3. DLashe
    DLashe
    My surgery is scheduled for August 5th and I unfortunately already have sagging skin.

I recently purchased be-BEAUTIFUL chewables. They contain the following:

Biotin: is an essential B-vitamin important for the growth of healthy cells. Just one daily dose of be-BEAUTIFUL will provide a whopping 3 mg of biotin to nourish healthy and strong, hair, skin and nails.

Antioxidants: lutein is an antioxidant known for supporting skin hydrations. Coupled with alpha-Lipoic acid and vitamins A and C, these antioxidants protect against damaging free radicals that can promote the cell-aging process.

Collagen: with 125 mg of an advanced hydroliyzed collagen that provides amino acids. These specific amino acids are found in hair, skin and nails.
  4. GoLizzyGo
    GoLizzyGo
    DLashe, I was using those too from GNC and I loved them. I have those concerns too. I'm 31 but prone to cellulite and stretch marks. I've lost 40 Ibs and I've already got some starting to appear (in the white stage, barely noticable). What I'm doing is using Palmers cocoa butter directly onto my scars and Bio Oil massaged into my stomach, hips, and butt. I don't see results yet but the key is to be consistent and continue for several months. I'm prolly going to do this as my daily routine forever now, lol! I really want to tone up, so it's important to build muscle to tone everything up and get firm while you lose weight. I'm not much for lifting weights but what has worked for me is water aerobics and sculpting classes at the gym. My arms are building muscle and I can see a little definition. As I continue to lose, I will incorporate weights to really target areas that need definition.
    I need to practice what I preach on this next tip, but drinking lots of water, getting enough protein and taking multi-vitamins are obviously going to help too.
    I'm figuring I'm going to need a boob lift when I've finished losing ~ it's inevitable. They're too saggy for me as it is :/

COmpression garments help too. I wear a tank top, like a spanx product, on most days. I haven't looked into body wraps or masks to help but I'll try anything if anyone can recommend something worthwhile

Good luck to you and this is a great topic, I'm interested in hearing about what others do for this too.
  5. GinnyC
    GinnyC
    I'm concerned about the skin also. I already have a "pannus" in the lower abdomen from 6 pregnancies, 10 pounds babies, and the last pregnancy was twins. I am going to HAVE to increase the water! It's hard for me to drink enough after having the sleeve done.

I am planning to have several skin removal surgeries....my arms, a breast lift and implants, and a lower body lift, then inner thighs, and maybe a face lift, I'm 38 so it may sag too. I see before and after photos of people that have the surgeries way too early. Skin is only 3mm thick, so if you have large rolls still hanging off the body, that means you need to lose more weight before cutting it all off. Here is a fantastic article with new insight for loose skin

How to Get Rid of Excess Loose Skin After Weight Loss | Mark's Daily Apple
  6. Canesfn17
    Canesfn17
    That's a great article, thank you for sharing!
  7. ScootieBootie
    ScootieBootie
    I'm sorry, but did she ever answer the question? I am a new user and I don't see her answer?
  8. fluffynomore
    fluffynomore
    EXERCISE!!!! I worked out and lifted weights before surgery, it helps with the recovery. I was sleeved 9/10/13 and I am continuing to work out. Right now I walk the treadmill and use the resistance weight machines at the gym until I can do free weights and the elliptical again.