Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

protien shakes?

1. loveconquersall
    loveconquersall
    hello everyone I am new to this forum. I am about 5'2 and 229 and having my sleeve done 9/06/2013, so I have about 1 month to go. my nutritionist recommended that I buy the protein shake now ahead of time. the dr want me to use a specific product called "isotonix custom cocktail protein shake" its a bit pricey for me so I just wanted to hear what you ladies and gentlemen used in your experience. I also would like to hear about your starting weight and the results and the aftermath including day after of your surgeries.
  2. skinny2be
    skinny2be
    I used pure protein 23. You can find it in numerous stores. About 6 dollars for a 4 pack. They have at least 3-4 different flavors. I found they have some of the least amount of carbs & calories and a good bit of protein. I also heard today about a shake called premiere. She told me it was very good and that you can get it at Sams. I think I will try it out.
    My surgery was on May 22nd. I started at 218 and I am 5 6". As of last night I am down 40 pounds. I have had no problems and I love my sleeve!!! My entire journey is on my blog if you want to read it. Please feel free to contact me if you have any other questions or need support. Good luck on your journey to your new life!!!!
  3. Citygal504
    Citygal504
    I had mine on 4-9-13 My doctor told me to use Atkins I have lost 41 lbs.
  4. PitPat
    PitPat
    I am using Unjury (chocolate). A very good taste and about 20grams of protein.
  5. VioletCrumble
    VioletCrumble
    Hi there! I started out exactly where you are. 5'2" & 228 lbs. I had my surgery on May 6, 2013. As of last Sunday I weighed in at 190lbs. I have consistently dropped 1 1/2 - 2 1/2 lbs. per week since the surgery.
    When it comes to protein shakes, I favor the brand EAS Lean. I get them at Publix or Walmart. They're higher in protein and lower in calories. The café caramel is good. The dark chocolate is pretty rich. I still drink about 4 or more a week. I also went to The Vitamin Shoppe and got some EAS Lean 15 Protein powder in chocolate and that is good too.
    This has not been exactly what I expected, but I am so happy I did it and have no regrets. If you have any questions, please ask!
  6. Lucy61
    Lucy61
    I bought Body Fortress - 285g of protein/8 oz and a 2 lb container cost approx $18 and avail just about anywhere. Taste is good too. NOTE that because my NUT said by week 6 I needed to get all my protein from food sources I found that having 5 lb of protein mix, I wasted money because at week 6 I still had about 2 lb left over.

Remember you still want calories, you don't want to starve yourself. The first couple weeks are going to be rough and you MUST get as rounded out in calories/protein that you can. I followed my NUT & Doc's advice to a "T" and am now 8 months out and have not gotten sick once. Keep your head in the game because this IS 50% mental. Good Luck with your journey!!!
  7. annabel
    annabel
    I also use Pure Protein 23. In the Boston area it runs between $8.00-8:49/4-pack. I prefer the chocolate, but have a friend who prefers the vanilla. 23 grams of protein and low in calories and carbs. I am 11 months out from my surgery and still drink one each morning for breakfast. I never would have breakfast in the past, and don't have it in my time schedule. This works well for me and I have no problem waiting for lunch time to eat again. If you go to the Vitamin Shoppe they have it with 35 grams of protein, but I didn't like it as well. Good luck on your adventure to a new level of health.
  8. Curlysue76
    Curlysue76
    I used the premier protein from Costco vanilla and chocolate 18 of them for 24.99. I love them 30 grams protein and only 1 gram of sugar
  9. tinamarie
    tinamarie
    I, too, use the Premier protein from Costco. I was afraid that I'd hate the taste of a protein drink, and I was very excited to find that I actually like both the vanilla and the chocolate (though I add either water or skim milk to the chocolate). I find it to be more reasonably priced than some brands and to contain more protein than many. Since I can't stand it when powder doesn't completely dissolve, using powdered protein isn't an option for me, but I can tell you that when I drank these for my pre-surgery diet days, I was NEVER hungry. I actually cooked and served 100 guests at my daughter's graduation party and didn't eat a single bite that week because I was so satisfied with these drinks....and I didn't feel deprived. I am 5'3", started at 233.5#, lost 10# prior to the pre-surgery diet, and I'm down to 203# when I weighed a few days ago. It's been 3 weeks since my surgery, and I can say it's the best decision I've ever made. I couldn't be happier I wish you the very best of luck in all stages of your journey.
  10. valdonlon
    valdonlon
    I too am 5'2" and started at 234. It's tough to say if you should stock up on shakes now because you may not like post op what you like now....I still like my brand. Bariatric Advantage. A bit pricey, but when mixed with water, the strawberry flavor tastes like a shake...
  11. soleil
    soleil
    I use Premier Protein. You can find it at BJs and Costco. Pre-op, I was able to drink any flavor, post-op, I can't stand the taste of vanilla so I only get chocolate. In Premier, I get the ready-to-drink chocolate. I use EAS powder in vanilla for my smoothies (only way I can stand it is to add things to it like frozen strawberries).