Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Thoughts of food

1. InkyInkerton
    InkyInkerton
    Hi - I'm potentially 5 weeks away from surgery, and wondering if AFTER the sleeve, do the constant thoughts of food slow down or go away.
    I feel like if I'm not actively eating, I'm either thinking about what I just ate, or planning what I'm going to eat next.
    Does this constant vicious cycle go away with the weight?
    Thanks
  2. robsgal
    robsgal
    I am just over 2 months out and yes the thoughts have stopped for me. I am not constantly thinking about food any more - instead I am thinking about what I am going to wear to work, what I am going to wear to work out in and what am I going to wear on the cruise. I am not EVEN going on a cruise but bc I am so excited about all the cute summer clothes I can fit into I am day dreaming now not about food but about clothes! I love it. You will see a change you really will. Its almost magical! Good luck to ya!
  3. kj44
    kj44
    i am thirteen wks out and i still think about food just not as aggressively as before. i am satisified with so much less than before and seeing results instead of failure makes it much easier to make good choices. it is totally worth it.
  4. InkyInkerton
    InkyInkerton
    I know it's going to be worth it - I have a list of things I'm scared of and things I'm excited about. The fear list is barely a page, the list of things I'm excited about is almost 3 pages I'm blessed to have a VERY supportive family and partner and just want to be on the other side of being sleeved SO bad!!!!
  5. Issygal
    Issygal
    Before surgery someone could ask me what I wanted to eat and I instantly knew bc my life revolves around food. Now when people ask I really have to think bc food holds little to no interest for me anymore. And I'm almost 4 months post op.
  6. InkyInkerton
    InkyInkerton
    Thank you for all your responses, they are helping put one of my biggest fears to rest!
  7. Namaste
    Namaste
    Hi:
    I'm almost 2 weeks post op & I don't have food thoughts anymore. I am now eating to live instead of living to eat. My hubby has to remind me it's time for a protein shake, etc. This is such a new thing to me & I love it. The sleeve is doing its job, now, I will keep up my end of the bargain. The thoughts I have now are what do I do with all my big clothes, where will we cruise to? Not afraid to be tempted by cruise food as nothing calls to me. They have so many choices & I will be happy with my little bit of protein, some vegies and if any room...fruit. I am so fortunate. Good luck & let us know how we can help. Hugs, Roberta
  8. Riverdude
    Riverdude
    I did not even want to think about food for the first 4 weeks. I am 8 weeks now and I do crave some food and some of the Hunger has started coming back. I just stick with the 3-2-1 method. 3 bites of protein, 2 bites of veggies or fruit and one bite of carb and if you are still hungry start over... has really worked for me. But I still crave some food that I can not have...Pizza!!
  9. InkyInkerton
    InkyInkerton
    Thanks Riverdude, that's great advice - I hadn't seen the 3-2-1 method before, I'm number-driven, so that might work pretty well for me
  10. Kelli D
    Kelli D
    I am 2 1/2 weeks out and I do still think of food. But it's more about what can I eat at this point in time with my new sleeve. It is working well and thou I am not food centered anymore I do still think of food. However, it is getting easier and easier to deal with. Don't be surprised if you don't go through some tears and sadness after you have your sleeve. This is normal and part of your letting go of your old life. It passes and all of a sudden you know you made the right decision and you heading down the road to success with a smile on your face!
  11. InkyInkerton
    InkyInkerton
    I am preparing myself to grieve the food and soda part...especially soda. But I also know the positives will far outweigh the negatives. Knowing I can turn to this forum helps too - you certainly never feel alone!
  12. leo39
    leo39
    I had surgery the beginning of March and to be honest I still crave certain times to match up to old habits - like drinking coke or friday pizza night. That said, coke hurts and the bubbles just make me so uncomfortable, it took me two attempts two weeks apart to realize that pop is in my past, not my future, and I am ok with that. I've learned to have a thin whole wheat crust the size of a crumpet and I cover it with pesto and arugula, and other vegetables if I really want to have pizza. The sleeve shouldnt have to be your disciplinarian but it will make you mighty uncomfortable and unable to concentrate on anything else if you cheat with junk. I cannot eat chicken fingers, fries, licorice and all sorts of other foods, or I just don't like them anymore. Your tastes will change.
    If I were to caution you about anything I would say to give some thought to how you will manage if you have any complications or if you throw up alot more than other people, get dehydrated, if it hurts to get anything down..I mean anything. I don't want to scare anyone off and maybe it's wrong to be anything other than encouraging. I just know that I have had some difficulties and I'm not the only one. At times I have wished I had been better prepared for the challenges. I thought - ok yes I will have to get past the head hunger and make good food choices. Ok I need to look at drinking water like it's my full time job, I'll keep a water bottle always in my hand and I'll use apps to keep me on track with calories. Well, drinking water hurt - bad - in my sternum and everything except cold liquids that I would spoon in my mouth, would make me ache and also throw up. As in - eight to ten times a day throwing up. Not from nausea, but from straight up pain in the chest. And I still got dehydrated. I was incredibly swollen in the esophagus due to the breathing tube from surgery. I never had that problem before and I've had surgery many times. The surgeon did a good job, not knocking him, but I had a very frustrating recovery. I still at times throw up, even from foods that worked before and it can take me an hour of total concentration to eat my protein. I'm doing much better now and can see the light at the end of the tunnel, but I do wish I had given some thought to what I would do if I couldn't have a typical response to the sleeve, and I honestly don't know if I would have had the surgery knowing what these past several months would be like. It's just important to have all the information before you move ahead.
    With all that said, craving food will be a very small part of the 'problem' or the 'new you' after the first month. And there are many on the boards here who can talk you through it when you are having difficulty!
  13. InkyInkerton
    InkyInkerton
    Thank you leo39, I appreciate all feedback, not just the good kind. I know that I will need to make a lot of changes; I didn't get to 350 pounds by making GOOD decisions. And I know it's going to be a lot of work. I have stomach issues that have led to a lot of nausea & vomiting in the past, so my surgeon is making sure I'm extra diligent about what I eat and monitoring my liquids. I'm still excited and nervous and scared, but through all that I'm confident this is the right decision for me
  14. auntwisa
    auntwisa
    I too find it hard to get all my food in in a day. Especially when I am going to eat solids because I have to have no liquid for a half hour before eating, take 15 to 30 minutes to eat, and then no fluids for another half hour after eating. I could live on protein drinks. I am using body fortress from Walmart. I had surgery on May 16 and have lost 35 lbs. I haven't been sick to my stomach, no frothing, no real hunger or cravings. I think the hardest part for me is family gatherings where there is a lot of food that I may desire to eat but I made the choice to do this. It makes people around me nervous to eat because they feel bad that I can't. My husband has really had a hard time with it, sometimes eating at the kitchen counter so I don't see him eating. Again, this was my choice because I want to live a healthy long life. It is proving to be a smart choice for me, as I hope it is for you. Good luck, it will be fine. Hugs
  15. InkyInkerton
    InkyInkerton
    Thanks Auntwisa - I hope my recovery is like yours I come from a family of big eaters, and our family functions tend to focus around food, so I am a little trepidatious of family gatherings, but I'm hoping that if I don't make a big deal out of it, nobody else will either.
    For the first time in years I'm looking forward to the company Christmas card photo though! I can't wait to compare this years and next year's, to the previous photos!
    The good anxiousness far outweighs the bad anxiousness