Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Weight loss slower when a bander to a sleever?

1. sandsmom3
    sandsmom3
    Hi all, I was banded in 2006, did so-so...lost about 70 pounds over 2 years and then never really had restriction, after many fills etc. Gained most of it back. Band came out Dec of 2011. So much scar tissue, slippage and adherence to the liver that I had to wait awhile for the sleeve. Was sleeved on 11/12/12. Love the sleeve, had zero complications, and have lost 75 lbs as of today at 7 months post op. I have been pretty consistent with 2-3 pounds a week. A few stalls here and there. But recently, I do feel the loss is slowing down. My question for you all...especially those that are further along in this process....did your MDs say the loss would be slower since we have already been banded and revised?

I have a lot more to lose, and just thought it would be coming off quicker. I read about others who are 100-110 pounds down by now. I know everyone loses at their own rate, and I am completely happy with the sleeve vs the band. Just wondered how you all were doing and what I can look forward to.

Any thoughts or input would be greatly appreciated. It's a marathon, not a sprint!!
  2. Czbrat4me
    Czbrat4me
    I went from a band to the sleeve as well. I love it that I no longer have a band. I did Lise with the band but it was only about 25 lbs overall. Had it for 4 years. Had sleeve done Oct 2, 2012 and have lost about 60 lbs. My doctor did say that my weight loss may be slower than someone who didn't have a band previously. Also that because of that, I may not lose all I need to lose--maybe 40% of what I need to lose. It's ok though, I am about 22 lbs away from my goal weight. I have been in a stall for the last 4 months--I go up and down 3 to 4 lbs each week...groan.... Even if I don't lose much more, I'm way better off than I was and feel pretty good.
  3. goddessinside
    goddessinside
    Yup. I also feel that my loss is slower than the original sleevers. I have lost about 130lbs since July of last year and am still loosing but only about a lb every week and a half to two weeks. I guess it makes sense if banding caused a slower metabolism, our loss with restriction would be slower. Keep at it and keep moving. I now weigh less than I did in high school, feel great and have so much more energy. If it takes me another year to loose this last twenty, I'm okay with that. After all, It took me fifty to put it all on!
  4. scentual1
    scentual1
    I don't recall my dr. talking about this. She did state I should be at my goal weight by one year out (that would be 100lbs lost). However, right now (haven't got my sleeve yet) I would just be happy to be back at my optimal band weight which was 198 (I only lost about 50lbs with my band and have now gained it all back). Anything better than that would be icing on the cake for me right now. Just hang in there. I'm sure things will work our for you.
  5. shermysue
    shermysue
    Never heard such a thing as the band slowing metabolism. How is that even possible? I cannot locate research to that. Also, my doc said I would lose 100 pounds...and I will. I think k we need to just stick to the program and lose as best our bodies allow. This is still just a tool like the band. It still boils down to choices and physical activity. I was sleeved June 4th. I am down 10 lbs. I have lost 40 since march. I figure if I focus on tody, living life with hope and optimism it will make a difference. Focus on doing life well...and the weight loss will be an added benefit!
  6. eyeball
    eyeball
    I had the band and lost 75lbs with it, well it slipped. had it fixed never lost anything in 7 months and found out it slipped again. Had it removed waited 5 months and had the sleeve June 17 th. My Dr. did say it may be slower and not react the same way as a 1st time sleeve. My theory is that we want to loose about 2 lbs a week and then that away skin won't be hanging, because we didn't drop it all super fast. It can come off slow or fast, as long as it comes off right? Never heard anything about that metabolism thing. I have a question, do you get a growling stomach, like hunger pains? Because I thought they cut out that part of the stomach that made us hungry. Also do you sip 2 protein drinks a day? I want to barf with protein drinks, but I know early in the game we need them. If you have a recipe you like, please give that to me, or a site to go to. Thanks. Hang in there it's coming of the better way.
    Kathy
  7. shaggy1
    shaggy1
    I am trying to decide on which surgery, and I really like what I hear about the sleeve, but concerned about diarrhea and dumping, does anyone know about these issues? 47 yr old teacher - 215 now.... thanks, Kris
  8. sandsmom3
    sandsmom3
    Thank you all for your comments. Best of luck to all of us!
  9. Kristin McHenry
    Kristin McHenry
    The band slows metabolism?? I've never heard that either but it would explain my abysmal weight loss!
  10. AnnD
    AnnD
    No dumping with the sleeve. That's only with the bypass.