Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Advice need for Tijuana.

1. dany
    dany
    Hello everyone. My name is Dany. I am seriously considering getting the gastric sleeve surgery in Tijuana, Mexico. I have researched the different doctors there and ran across some good and bad reviews. Family and friends claim that I am not over weight enough to have the surgery but none of my attempts to lose weight is working. I have tried diet pills, Nutrisystem, Weight Watchers, Weight loss shots, changing the intake of what I eat, and exercise. I am 38 years old and the mother of 4-year-old twins. Every since I gave birth I have been putting on weight. My BMI is 31.5, I am 5’5”, my current weight is 193 lbs, my heaviest was 198 and the heavier I become the more health problems I have. Diabetes, High cholesterol, cancer, heart disease, etc. runs on my mother and father side. Even though I do not have those complications yet, I know they will come if I continue to gain weight. My current health problems includes joint pains, menstrual complications, sleeplessness, sudden increase heart beat while sitting, back pain, hormonal deficiencies, and depression.
    I am seeking any advice from you guys. Please recommend a surgeon and share your experience and the price of the surgery. All feedback is welcome.
  2. Zewski1602
    Zewski1602
    I am having surgery on June 12th in TJ with Dr. Almanza! I found him through my friend who had her sleeve done by Dr. A. She had an great experience and has had fabulous results too. The staff has been friendly, professional, thoughtful, and very good at communicating. You and I sound a lot alike.... fat yet not fat enough for American hospitals to help us. Always having trouble with weight but nothing helps us lose weight. I think you will find a lot of helpful people on here. I can keep in touch and we can talk after my surgery and I can tell you first hand how it went. Good luck.
  3. BabyDoll
    BabyDoll
    I've detailed my journey on my blog if you'd like to check it out.
    My Weight Loss Journey
  4. mstrigs
    mstrigs
    Highly recommend Mexico and Dr. A. I actually thought the service was substantially better than the states. The hotel is near 5 star too.
  5. dany
    dany
    Zewski1602 I will definitely keep in touch with you. I want to know everything about your experience.
  6. KarenVipVa
    KarenVipVa
    I went with A LIGHTER ME, they dont do as many surgeries a day as some and there are 2 surgeons and an ICU docs in case there is a problem. They put u up in the marriott and its close to everything. There are multiple doctors in this hospital. I had prior medical issues and felt that Almanza was not equipted to handle a true emergency and when i questioned them.. They would have send me to another doctor. No matter who u chose tho.. even as a third world country its better care. than states.If you have specific questions please ask.. I also loved staying in tijuana those extra days and being taken around shopping and stuff.. very highly recommend Alighter me DR Lopez, Asuna, and ortiz.
  7. mydecision
    mydecision
    Had my surgery with dr.A In December I would do it again!!! Everyone is so nice!!
  8. LVeronica
    LVeronica
    I am about three months post vertical sleeve gasterctomy. I went through MexicoBariatricCenter and Christy was my coordinator. Drs. Cabrerra and Valenzuela were my surgeons in Tijuana and Dr. Garcia assisted. Everything went smoothly. Every question I had was answered quickly and completely. When my plane was very delayed arrangements were made for me. I had no significant post operative pain, nausea, vomiting or other complications. I walked several miles the first day I was in the hotel. I was taken to the Tijuana Marriott after being discharged from the hospital and the accomodations and service there was impeccable. The hospital was clean and well equipped and the staff was friendly and professional and spoke very good English. I am very happy with my results and would be happy to comment further on my experience if you have any more questions.

I understand the desire to have weight loss surgery at your BMI. I too struggled to maintain a BMI of 27-28. It was the lowest I could get and eventually I always regained weight only to have to loose it again. I wish I had thought of looking at surgery earlier in my life at a lower weight in Mexico rather than waiting until my BMI was over 35! Best of luck.
  9. LVeronica
    LVeronica
    I am about three months post vertical sleeve gasterctomy. I went through MexicoBariatricCenter and Christy was my coordinator. Drs. Cabrera and Valenzuela were my surgeons in Tijuana and Dr. Garcia assisted. Everything went smoothly. Every question I had was answered quickly and completely. When my plane was very delayed arrangements were made for me. I had no significant post operative pain, nausea, vomiting or other complications. I walked several miles the first day I was in the hotel. I was taken to the Tijuana Marriott after being discharged from the hospital and the accomodations and service there was impeccable. The hospital was clean and well equipped and the staff was friendly and professional and spoke very good English. I am very happy with my results and would be happy to comment further on my experience if you have any more questions.

I understand the desire to have weight loss surgery at your BMI. I too struggled to maintain a BMI of 27-28. It was the lowest I could get and eventually I always regained weight only to have to loose it again. I wish I had thought of looking at surgery earlier in my life at a lower weight in Mexico rather than waiting until my BMI was over 35! Best of luck.
  10. bringingbackeffy
    bringingbackeffy
    Hey Dany, I am going to Mexico next month ! My Doctor is Dr Quinones and my surgery is $4,000 paying in full upfront. I have heard some fantastic reviews with him. best of luck on your Journey and I am here if you have any questions x
  11. Jenniferkatie
    Jenniferkatie
    I am going down to Tijuana on July 7th for surgery on the 8th! I'm using Ready4aChange | Your Bariatric Surgery Resource! and Dr. Garcia! I've heard nothing but great things! They put you up in the Marriott on your arrival, pick you up the next am to take you to the hospital where you stay 2 nights, then your discharged back to the Marriott for 2 days (and i believe you have a home health visits and MD visits while you are there!)...they will even take you sight seeing the last day if you feel up to it For the 5 night stay with ALL costs included (except your flight into San Diego), its $4700!!!! And the hospital is a genuine hospital with an ICU! Florence Health is the hospital (also known as Oasis of Hope)...I can't wait to get this journey started
  12. Jenniferkatie
    Jenniferkatie
  13. Issygal
    Issygal
    I had surgery with Dr. Almanza in march and it was the best thing I ever did for myself. There was actually a 15 year old girl in my group. She was not extremely overweight but her mother brought her for surgery to prevent her from becoming even more overweight.
  14. Kazoogirl
    Kazoogirl
    I am two weeks post op with Dr. Ariel Ortiz of the Obesity Control Center. I am thrilled with my sleeve and the whole process. He is one of the most respected doctors in the field worldwide. He is top shelf and worth every penny. His hospital is also a Center of Excellence! My hubby went with me and was so impressed he is going back in November for his sleeve.
  15. AngelNP
    AngelNP
    I like LVeronica, had two surgeons for the price of one. Drs. Venazuelz and Cabrera. They are awesome. You would have to contact Medical Tourism and speak with Christine to give you price quotes. I've written about my experience. I weighed 215 and currently weight about 166 lbs since December 2012. If you have any specific questions, PM me. I also have Mexico Trip Tips and research on the VGS and best surgeons of Mexico. If you want that information, you'll need to provide me with your email addy (in PM) and I'll send you the information.
    Take care,
    Jen
  16. RockMySleeve
    RockMySleeve
    I am in TJ now. My surgery was yesterday with Dr. ORTIZ. I am so glad I chose him and his facility!
  17. Phranquie
    Phranquie
    I went to Dr. Almanza on 8/8/12. My high weight was 325 before the pre-op diet. In the past 10 months I have lost 162lbs so far. I would highly recommend Dr. A and I actually chose him because I wanted a surgeon with the most experience. While the medical experience was slightly different than in the US, I recieved excellent care. Dr. A himself and many of his family and staff members have had the sleeve so they do understand everything you are going through. I had no complications during or since the surgery. I never had nausea but the girl in the recovery with me did have some for about 8 hours.

I stayed at the recovery house. It is a bit like a dorm but since I was alone I was happy for the company of the other patients and the 24 hours nursing care. The house is set up with a family room with comfy sofas and a big tv and a kitchen with dining area. The frig is stocked and the nurses are very competent and friendly. I felt good enough to go shopping in TJ the second day after surgery and they have a van take you to their favorite shop (very tourist oriented) but it was fun to get out.

I wish I had gone to Dr. A years ago!

Good luck making your decision!

Frankie
  18. dany
    dany
    OMG, Thanks guys for all the wonderful information. You just don't realize how much closer you all have gotten me to deciding on which doctor to go with. I have already made up my mind to go through with it. I have also narrowed my doctors down to 2, Dr. Quinones and Dr. Almanza. Now the date, I'm working on that now. Thank you so much. You guys are wonderful.
  19. DebbieD
    DebbieD
    Dr. Ramos-Kelly for me. He was born and lived in the US, was in the service, worked as an ER dr., speaks excellant English, works in a hospital rather than a clinic. Awesome experience and wonderful care. I booked directly through his office and NOT a middleman. $5200 plus airfare. Shortly before my surgery I ran into some old and one recent post really trashing Dr. Kelly Turns out they were from former employees and some of the "middlemen" trying to take business for themselves. These people can get really nasty! I contacted 6 different people who had recent surgeries with Dr. Kelly and they all couldn't say enough good things about him and their experience. I wouldn't have changed a thing.
  20. galmila
    galmila
    I went with Dr. Quinones. He is a wonderful surgeon. I have a blog up also about the great and the not so great. I am about 14 days and my incisions are great, everything healed very nicely, I only have itching. He has Stacey that calls you to check up on you before and after. She is a great support and she has answered many of my questions.
  21. gabrielle48
    gabrielle48
    I used Dr. Garcia and Ready4 A Change and they were wonderful.The staff, driver, and everyone involved including the hotel were wonderful. You feel safe and the hospital staff and after care is wonderful. I would do it again without hesitation. Good luck to you.
  22. leahmj88
    leahmj88
    I had my surgery with doctor Garcia about 2 months ago and I'm already down 50 lbs.
  23. Annie04
    Annie04
    Hello Dany, I am pretty close to you in bmi and height. I have people telling me all the time that I don't need surgery and that I can lose it on my own. Truth is I have battled my weight all of my life and now I do have high blood pressure. I have also had knee and back surgery. This is your journey and your decision. There will always be naysayers. I have stopped letting people know that I will be having surgery. Instead I have been learning all I can from fellow sleevers. I am hoping to have my surgery in the next month (working on the money part). After much research, I decided on Dr. Garcia. There are a lot of great doctors there, so do your own research and chose one base on your experience and what you are comfortable with. Good luck on your journey.
  24. discoveringme
    discoveringme
    Love Dr. Lopez and a lighter me! Had Excellent care, pre and post op :-)
  25. fritsanpdx
    fritsanpdx
    Dr. Ariel Ortiz at OCC for me & my sister in April this year. Niether of us had any issues or complications and were thrilled with their care and facilities. I was concerned because I had a blod clot & infection from my c-section when I had my son. Came out of the VSG relatively unscathed.
  26. skinny2be
    skinny2be
    Dany... my friend and I were there on May 22nd getting it done with Dr. Lopez @ a lighter me. She already posted on here. ( Karen VIP va).
    Check out my blog. The entire journey is on there. We loved it!!! They cost $4650
    Feel free to contact if you have any questions!! Good luck to you.