Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

How Hard it is to Lose with an Inactive Thyroid!

1. Loodi1990
    Loodi1990
    Hey I just wanted to know if anyone else with an underactive thyroid is having trouble losing weight as much as they should, if not please give me and others some pointers cause I am doing everything right at least that's what my doctor said.
  2. Tina Bout
    Tina Bout
    I'm having the same issue - I'm 4 weeks post op and have only lost 16 1/2 pounds. I'm not sure but I thought it should be more.
  3. MomMaestra
    MomMaestra
    The patient coordinator of my doc is hypothyroid and said she is a slow loser. (6 months 40 lbs) but she said it does come off. I have lost between 1/2 lb and a lb a day skipping a couple days and not losing anything every once in a while. I have not Ben consistent with my thyroid meds yet. I was off them 2 weeks prior to surgery and actually felt ok and my edema got better. I'm curious what the bloodwork will say. Prob our bodies are still on shock and don't know what to do with this reduced calorie and no gherin being released.
  4. dyiana
    dyiana
    was hyperthyroid after the birth of my first baby. Was Treated with Radioactive Iodine and have had my struggle with weight after that for the past 24 years. So I have been Hypo and have struggles with my weight. I also have Diabetes DM . I have been dieting and exercising for the last year and have lost a little over 30 pounds. I am hopeing that it will be faster once I get the sleeve.
  5. JtotheLo
    JtotheLo
    I'm 9 weeks post op and have lost 25. The first 20 were the first 10 days after surgery. I'm getting my protein in and drinking my water and exercising but I have not lost anymore. I was glad to see this group because although I take meds for my hypothyroidism I never thought I may not be taking the right amount. I will definitely follow up with my PCP this week and see if this will help.
  6. TabbyCat
    TabbyCat
    I am hypo and actually had to postpone my surgery because my thyroid level was out of whack when they took my blood work for the pre-admission workup. I have been seeing an endocrinologist for the past 8 weeks. Getting my blood work checked every 6 weeks. I am in the normal range now and just need to consult with the surgeon on June 20th again. One of the items I want to ask is if he has other patients who are hypothyroid and how well are they are doing. I am very concerned that I will not lose the weight I want and with being hypo the chances of gaining it back. However, because I like to look at upside of things, maybe since losing at a slower rate, I won't have the excess skin issues which seems like most people have from losing too quickly.
  7. teresattt1
    teresattt1
    Just short of 2 months after surgery I had a visit to my endocrinologist... he said everything looked ok.. but did raise my daily med from 50 to 100.. I am not sure if this has anything to do with it.. but it DOES seem that I have picked up a lil.. losing a tad more weight per week..
  8. Loodi1990
    Loodi1990
    Hey just had my checkup with my primary care doctor, it's almost been a month since the surgery and I have lost a whopping 35lbs, I am so excited, they said since I'm 22 and working out I won't need skin removal surgery lol, ill be the judge of that. I have an inactive thyroid and it seems everything is going down smoothly thank God.
  9. JtotheLo
    JtotheLo
    I had my thyroid levels checked at my PCP says my levels are normal. I'm so disappointed because I've lost 25 pounds in 13 weeks. I went from 250 to 225.
  10. hjsplawn
    hjsplawn
    I'm so glad to see these posts!!! Today I am six weeks post op and I have only lost 16 pounds. I'm terrified that this isn't going to work for me. My doc just doubled my thyroid medicine and I'm hoping this will help. My weight has been fluxuating drastically. I will be down 3 pounds then up 7. I am struggling with getting enough water and I am eating between 700 to 900 calories per day. I have literally not lost any weight in 3 weeks other than what I had gained back. Am I eating too much? Does anyone have any suggestions? Help!!! I don't know what I am going to do if this doesn't work. My weight has become a HUGE health isssue and I can not longer get around like I should. I have no quality of life - this was my final hope.
  11. dyiana
    dyiana
    hjsplawn,

I feel for you! I have had hypothyroidism for 25 years. I struggle with weight. My scale goes up and down all the time. I remember when back in my late twenties and with weight watchers being weighed at the scale each week. I got very discouraged because someone said to me " You weight fluctuates too much, there is something wrong." I never went back to weight watchers again. So over the years this is the way it has been for me.

I have learned with these last 25 years that weight comes off very slowly. This last year I have taken my diet and being healthy as a way of life. Not something I start and stop, but something that I will do forever. So for the past year it comes off very slow, but it is moving in the same direction over time. A little over thirty pounds in one year is not a whole lot of weight, but I did not gain and it continues to move down. Watch the sodium. I love soy sauce and if I don't use the low sodium it can put on 5 lbs of water weight. Be kind to yourself and be patient with yourself. Keep living healthy and exercising. The weight will go in the direction you want it to. Don't give up..... just keep it up......it will happen. I have not had my WLS and I hope that once I do...... I will be able to loose more than 30 lbs in one year.
  12. Mandyj05
    Mandyj05
    This makes me nervous. My surgeon never addressed the issue with me but it was on my mind. I had my thyroid removed 3 years ago due to thyroid cancer. I was wondering how the surgery will work for me. I will get my sleeve in 5 days. I guess we just have to try a little harder than the average person who gets the surgery. I hope it works for me
  13. Luvack
    Luvack
    I would be thrilled to lose 25 pounds in 13 weeks!!! If you keep that up, at that rate you could lose 100 pounds in one year!
  14. Khartt
    Khartt
    I'm just starting my journey and had questions about my hypothyroidism. I'm so happy to have found this group. My thyroid is under control and PCP didn't need to adjust my meds this last visit. I am hoping I don't get bogged down once I have the surgery (anticipated in Jan. 2014). I'll be checking this board often!
  15. chammons1231
    chammons1231
    I take .125mcg of Synthroid daily for my hypothyroidism. I never thought about that jeopardizing my surgery... I put it on my health history of course, but I didn't think about if my levels are off when they do my blood work! I think I need to call Dr. Almanza's nurse and ask her what testing I should have done here before going all the way to Mexico for surgery and end up having to re-schedule! Now I'm really nervous
  16. Joolah
    Joolah
    I had a complete thyroidectomy in 2008, I am having a sleeve done in October. I spoke w/my endocrinologist & she is confident that the sleeve is the beat choice for me. She also is working closely with my weightloss surgeon to make sure I am losing weight and becoming healthy.
  17. Luvack
    Luvack
    I have Hashimoto's and I am having my sleeve done in two days. I just became nervous today. I'm so glad I found this group!
  18. Journey2life
    Journey2life
    This is great that this group exists. I too have hypothyroidism and the last time I checked I was at normal range. I have to do my pre-op blood work this week and I'm sure all will be fine. Good luck to everyone.
  19. hdiapar
    hdiapar
    I have Hashimoto also and did not realize if my levels are off it might jeopardize my surgery date of Sept 10. My doctor's office never mentioned this. ughhhh
  20. DLashe
    DLashe
    I had my surgery on August 5th with one week pre-op diet and I'm only down 23 pounds. Im afraid to get on the scale because I just get disappointed. I take brand synthroid 150 mcg (0.15mg) daily. My physicians says not to worry that the weight will come off. Im not do sure. On a good note im losing inches
  21. Ladyinwaiting
    Ladyinwaiting
    I am 4 weeks post op. I lost 12 lbs before and now I am down another 24ish. It is definitely coming off slower then others I see on here. I wasn't taking my meds to 1st two weeks after surgery because I couldn't get the pills down. Now I am taking regularly. Having bloodwork done this week to recheck my levels.
  22. JtotheLo
    JtotheLo
    I'm six months post op and have lost 20 pounds. I saw Endcronoligist this week and my thyroid levels are normal. My vitamin D was low so she suggested taking an over the counter vitamin. I am so discouraged because the scale is up and down. I work out 5 days a week doing Crossfit and started running too. She suggested I not compare myself to anyone and just keep trying. She also suggested I lower my caloric intake to 1000 calories a day. So I will just keep trying.
  23. JenMN
    JenMN
    I am hypothyroid I take .250 mcg of Synthroid daily been good on this dosage for about 9 months now. I am having very good weight loss so far. Losing about 20 lbs pre-op with the liquid diet and about 57 lbs since getting sleeved on Feb 3rd! I have also been concerned with the effects of my thyroid and having the surgery but so far doesn't seem to be causing a problem. But I am religiously taking my meds and vitamins and following my diet to a T also.
  24. Mimie76
    Mimie76
    I am so glad to have found this group. I had graves disease in my late teens and had radioactive iodine treatment. Aftet he birth of my son 10 years ago I have had hypothyroid and am on medication, it is an up and down process with levels and I have to have meds adjusted. I am hoping this will help, my friend had surgery last year and 4 months post op her hypothyroid was controlled and she is now off meds. Good luck to u all
  25. mwaller81
    mwaller81
    I'm glad to see that it is still possible to lose the weight after the sleeve. I'm hoping and praying that with following the rules and exercising, the weight will come off.
  26. Emmers1974
    Emmers1974
    I had my thyroid out at age 16, I'm 39 (will be 40 in October) and have been on 100 mcg of Synthroid for as long as I can remember. My surgery date was set today-having sleeve on May 28-and I expect to continue to have to exercise and follow the eating rules in order to lose the weight. Having any kind of thyroid disease sucks but we can do it! xoxo
  27. Dubai13
    Dubai13
    61lbs down after sleeve in January........10 years of being hypo, now have Hashimotos .....had thyroxine reduced from 200mg to 125mg ...so for me a positive experience x x x x
  28. TheRealMe319
    TheRealMe319
    Hello Butterfly Warriors!

I was just recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism in April and it turns out it has everything to do with why I suddenly gained an extreme amount of weight and I realized how much I weighed last week. For me, the decision to pursue the sleeve was an easy one. I am concerned to see so many hypo thyroid sleevers reporting such slow weight loss progress. The more I learn about hypothyroidism, the more confused I am by the condition, but I thought I understood well that once your levels normalize and you're on the right dosage, that your ability to lose weight is the same as anyone else. Can anyone offer some insight as to why weight loss would still be difficult even if hypothyroidism is being treated properly?
  29. JenMN
    JenMN
    I have Hypothyroid as well I had my sleeve on Feb 3,2014. I am now down 118lbs It was easier for me at the beginning and now it's getting harder and I'm losing slower. I really pay attention to my protein intake taking my vitamins and being more active not so much working out just not planting my tush on the couch, cleaning, more walking, more just... being more active. I am tired alot because of my schedule but taking my Levothyroxin with a cup of coffee helps boost my energy level a bit and water,water,water... I was on .250mcg before my surgery now I take .200mcg, so I am defintiely seeing some good changes in my thyroid since my surgery....One thing I have noticed in life with people I know that have had the surgery and in this forum we are all different everyone loses at a different pace so long as you are doing what you know you need to do, don't beat yourself up if your not losing as fast as you think you should be this is a life change we didn't gain over night we aren't going to lose overnight be patient and persistent it will happen...Good luck to us all
  30. Chunky
    Chunky
    I had my thyroid taken out via RAI and gained 40 pounds in 3 months - this was 9 years ago I think. Then PCOS set in with a vengeance. I got sleeved on 7/22/14, and lost 14 pounds the first month and have been losing 2 pounds a week the past few weeks. If I can stay losing 2 pounds a week I will be pleased.

Sure, this is less than I hoped for, but at the same time, I am losing, which I was unable to do on my own with diet and exercise and no sleeve. I suppose 2 pounds a week or less seems low for 600 cal a day and exercising, but if the scale goes down I am pleased. This is my reality - the cards I have been dealt. I will never have a thyroid gland, will always be hypo without meds.

If I do reach a long plateau, I plan to chat with my end about T3 to T4 and make sure there is not some other med I need in addition to synthroid...

That's my plan. Message me if you have questions.

And for those who posted to this thread in 2013, I'd love to hear your progress...
  31. denakayhall0218
    denakayhall0218
    I was sleeved 1/31/2014, my BW 211 CW 155, I didn't lose near as fast as others but I did lose and I have lost inches which is amazing. I just got my blood work done and was prescribed Synthroid 50mg got generic brand. I haven't been on medication for about 1 year. I am hoping to lose weight better, I will see. I have to say I am pleased with my weight loss and I am so glad I had this surgery it saved my life. Wishing you well and I hope you are doing well.
  32. RehabNurse
    RehabNurse
    After 7 years of being hyperthyroid due to Graves disease, I had my thyroid ablated via radioactive iodine in 2005. I have been hypothyroid ever since.

I was sleeved on April 20th of this year and have lost significantly slower than others, but I'll take whatever I can get. I've lost 49 pounds since being sleeved 5+ months ago. My weight loss slowed significantly after the second month, and now I seem to be dropping at a slow rate of about 6 pounds per month.
  33. Gretchen7
    Gretchen7
    I had my thyroid removed in 2002 due to Graves. It took me 2 years to decide if I wanted to do the sleeve because I was concerned I would loose weight very slow because I don't have my thyroid. I was sleeved 6 weeks and 3 days ago and I am down 28 lbs since surgery. I am very happy with my weight loss so far. I can get in 60 oz. of protein a day, but I sometimes struggle with the fluids. I was fine with fluids before I went back to work, but my job is very fast paste and 2 hours goes by and O realize I didn't drink anything. I can finally fit into my old clothes again. I am also waiting for the hair loss to start. Hoping it won't happen since it has been coming out in the shower for years due to having an auto immune disease. I wish you all luck and please don't get frustrated if you aren't loosing pounds drastically because you are probably loosing inches when your weight loss stalls. My doc said to weigh myself once a week and measure once a month.