Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Are nurses really the worst kind of patients?

1. Stonefoxgirl
    Stonefoxgirl
    I don't know if you've ever heard this but I've heard it a handful of times: Nurses are the worst patients. If you are going to have surgery or have already had surgery, how has your adherence level to surgeon's orders been? Have you slipped up or self diagnosed yourself? Let us all know your story :] Have a beautiful day!!!
  2. princess1402
    princess1402
    I wouldn't say that I am one of the worst patients. In fact, I am very cooperative when having any kind of medical procedure and usually don't let them know I'm a nurse. I will be honest......a couple of days after surgery I was starving and all of the popsicles and broth in the world were not working. I knew that I was supposed to only have clear liquids for 2 weeks, BUT I went ahead and progressed to tomato soup 4 days after surgery. It worked and after 4 or 5 teaspoons I was satisfied. That was all I needed and I rationalized it by thinking that my body would let me know if it was "too" much.
  3. Stonefoxgirl
    Stonefoxgirl
    I'm glad everything was ok!! Sometimes you just need to slightly bend the rules in order to figure out what's going on.
  4. Mer616
    Mer616
    I don't 100% agree that nurses are the worst patients. I think we're more calm and patient with our health care providers because we understand how stressful and demanding the medical field can be, that's how I am anyway.We have a better understanding about medical stuff and in my opinion that makes everything easier on our health care providers. Plus we know first hand how important it is to follow the doc/surgeons orders. I had the sleeve done 3 yrs ago and I lost 135 lbs. I followed the rules to the T after my surgery, even though I have to admit I didn't agree with everything lol.
  5. Pam G
    Pam G
    I'm a terrible patient. I had three tendons fixed on my shoulder and didn't follow post op instructions. At all. Everything turned out fine. Also had tendon an ligament fixed in elbow....same thing. All is well.

I have to say, though, that I plan on following the sleeve instructions a little better...maybe not 100% to the "t" but better...
  6. luckygirl
    luckygirl
    Hi I'm a respiratory therapist and I also have a somewhat different agenda,however I plan on following all the directions here. I've worked night shift for years and that's where the pounds packed on,crazy hours! IN this case im using the mantra DR knows best. I'm having surgery in Mexico and don't want any problems at home.
  7. lorylynch
    lorylynch
    Nurses are the worst! I am a Registered Nurse in the Emergency Department and I see the nurses come in and I want to run!
    I hope I am not that way when I get sleeved!
  8. RehabNurse
    RehabNurse
    I do not even inform my doctors and healthcare workers that I am a nurse unless they ask me. I simply observe them. I do not intervene unless something egregious is happening, so I would say I am a decent patient to have around.