Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

What about daily meds (pills) ?

1. Her Moojesty
    Her Moojesty
    Hi,
    I'm going Sunday to be sleeved Monday in Mexico with Dr. Alvarez. I've packed my usual medications, but wonder if I will be able to take them. With the 'clear liquids only' thing for a week post-operatively, will I have to just miss my antidepressant, statin, and my other meds? For how long? Sure don't want to do that, especially the antidepressant because I get killer headaches if I don't take it. If anyone has an answer to this, PLEASE let me know, and soon! I'll appreciate it, believe me. No sense lugging them out there if I can't take them, you know?
    Thanks,
    Her Moojesty, A.K.A. Molly
  2. connie
    connie
    I took my daily meds with me and took them even the day of surgery. I too take anti-depressants, and had concern about that. I spoke with Louise and she said to take everything that morning with just a sip of water. Check with her to be sure, she will check with the Dr. for you---So excited for you!!! Hope you have a good experience---I did. Blessings and hugs- Connie
  3. connie
    connie
    I took my daily meds with me and took them even the day of surgery. I too take anti-depressants, and had concern about that. I spoke with Louise and she said to take everything that morning with just a sip of water. Check with her to be sure, she will check with the Dr. for you---So excited for you!!! Hope you have a good experience---I did. Blessings and hugs- Connie
  4. connie
    connie
  5. Msvetrn
    I took all my meds the morning of surgery, also. GOOD LUCK!
  6. Her Moojesty
    Her Moojesty
    Thanks guys, I appreciate your answers, that's good to know. I WILL take my meds the morning of surgery. But, what about AFTER the surgery? Will I be able to eat that antidepressant, do you think? Maybe crush it first? They taste like dog butt, so I don't want to end up sick and vomiting on a new stomach, what an awful thought that is, but I DO want to get that medication in me, somehow. PLEASE let me know if you were able to take your pills during the first few weeks post-op, and also, let me know if they made you sick, if you were able to keep them down. Down the road, a few weeks or a month or so, it shouldn't be an issue because if I can eat solids, I can certainly take pills. I'm mostly concerned about those first few weeks with the liquid diets.
  7. lamessin
    lamessin
    I also take antidepressants and was told by my psychiatrist not to crush the extended release PILLS - I was able to take the capsule and open it up into a tiny bit of water 2 days after surgery. After the 2nd day I mixed the little pellets into jello.
  8. JazzyJackie
    JazzyJackie
    I took my meds on day of surgery. I was told not to take any meds that was larger than a M&M post surgery. Every morning I dreed taking my meds because I gulp unintentionally. That's a horrible pain.
  9. T-Bird
    T-Bird
    Open the capsules and put them im a tiny medicine cup-2 oz. Get a pill crusher (about5$) and crush the tablets. Any extended release tablet cannot be crushed, so you should contact your prescribing doctor and let him/her know you need a pill that isn't long acting. After you put them in the cup, pour in about 15 ml of juice, like cranberry, mix it up and swallow it. Then, you'll still have room to sip a little more juice to get the pill taste out of your mouth. Mixing with juice was much better than mixing with jello or water for me. It disguised the taste better. And, its only a tiny bit of juice. Good luck!
  10. Dee Leshuz
    Dee Leshuz
    I keep getting disconnected from this group, not sure how I'm doing it

My meds are fairly small, thank dog, but I'm worried about the Monster sized supplements I take and Kaiser encourages me to take*...they specifically are against children's gummies but I've not seen anything about "adult" gummies. Must investigate.

* calcium 3x day, multi-v 2x day, and then I take Omega 3 and Flaxseed gels and vitamin C, the latter for help w/ bruising (I do so easily.)
  11. designerdougfan
    designerdougfan
    You can also go to a pharmacy that does compounding and get them to convert the pills into liquid. They typically need a new prescription from your Dr., and be clear with them that you don't want them to put it into a capsule form.
  12. magimae
    magimae
    Vitafusion makes adult gummie vitamins. Multi vitamins, vitamin D, two types of vitamin B, Fiber, Vitamin C, I found them on amazon, and some pharmacies.
    Surgery in 5 days, I can't wait till I will be allowed to swallow a small capsules!

Good luck everyone!
  13. Dee Leshuz
    Dee Leshuz
    That's great news about adult gummies, I will look them up and see if they do Omega 3/Flaxseed. Thanks for the info!
  14. jerzeygirl
    jerzeygirl
    I took meds the day after surgery and had no problem swallowing them. Right after my swallow test, I was given meds and have been taking all my vitamins, etc. by mouth since surgery and afterwards. Some of my vitamins are rather large and I can take about 6 at one time! Great swallower
  15. TucsonAmy
    TucsonAmy
    I crushed all my pills and opened capsules and poured them into a drink for the first month or so. I think i overdid it and could have started taken them whole sooner. One of the list members on here said her doc said don't swallow anything larger than a McDonald's straw. I still think you should crush for the first couple weeks. I'm seven weeks out and still have to be careful if i take too many pills at once or too soon after eating.
  16. Dee Leshuz
    Dee Leshuz
    I can swallow pills (even horse pills) okay if I have a little bit of water; what I worry about is how much room there will be for them in the sleeve.