Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Optifast Alternatives

1. lunetta
    lunetta
    I'm posting this in the Aussie Sleevers group because the brands would be different in different countries, I guess.

I'm wondering what alternatives there are to the Optifast brand for the pre- and post-op diets. I know there's Optislim, which I think is essntially the same thing, but what about the other brands? For example, looking right now at PharmacyDirect.com, there's these brands under "meal replacement":

Naturopathica Fatblaster
    Nature's Way Slim Right
    Finding Form
    Musashi SLM
    Rapid Loss
    Horleys Meal Plan

Are these basically interchangeable? (I've left out the ones that are specifically aimed at bodybuilders)

I just want to weigh up my options before buying

-
  2. Laura Jai
    Laura Jai
    I brought optislim cause chemist warehouse had them on special last week for two boxes for $55 to be honest I prefer the tony ferguson shakes they taste much better. I had some left over from when I tried tony ferguson to loose weight & the taste is far better. In saying that you get use to the taste of optislim. I was recommended optifast by my surgeon but I guess any meal replacement shakes would be ok..
  3. ozzi69
    ozzi69
    Tried them all( almost), and in my opinion the best tasting ones were from Aldi's meal supplement sachets. And they had all the nutrition needed.
    Highly recommended.
  4. JulesH
    JulesH
    I tried Optislim also because it was cheap.. but didnt like it. I was on Tony Ferguson for a while a year ago and the shakes were nice enough but also expensive. My surgeon and dietician put my on Optifast and I dont mind it, especially when its been in the freezer for about an hour. After reading ozzi69 I have also bought Aldi's meal supplements but havent yet tried them.
    Only two days to go so thought I'd stick to Optifast for now.
  5. Truebody
    Truebody
    Bodytech unflavoured has been recommended to me by Blondie. I've checked and it comes from the USA originally, but you can buy it online from an Aussie agent in the Eastern States. I haven't tried any of the muscle shops to see if I can get off the shelf.
  6. lunetta
    lunetta
    I noticed the ones in Aldi when I was in there yesterday (actually after seeing the doc) and bought one to try it out for flavour. It is more expensive than the Optislim (unless they have them cheaper by the box and I just didn't notice it). I didn't think much of the flavour, but if you're saying they're the best flavour - yikes! I guess you just have to get used to it.
  7. lunetta
    lunetta
    Bodytech unflavoured? So you add the flavour yourself? How does that work exactly?
  8. Truebody
    Truebody
    As I understand it, you add it to anything. So your having a smoothie made from other ingredients of your choice - add the unflavoured protein and it turns into a protein shake but without a flavoured protein starter. I've heard that some people who have added It to coffee!
  9. Narasweet
    Narasweet
    Herbalife have shakes also and add protein powder too, I find it tasty...
  10. Truebody
    Truebody
    I checked with my Dietitian when I saw her last - the reason that they promote Optifast is that is nutritionally balanced. You can survive on 3 a day - however most other options require that you have a vege biased meal in addition to 2 shakes.
  11. NickyNooNoo
    NickyNooNoo
    Hi All, I have been told by my dietician that Optifast is the only one endorsed by Doctors and QLD Health. I was given a booklet of info by QLD Health which has very strict rules in regards to the diet, so that patients are given the best chance of losing weight and shrinking the liver.
    It is tough at first, but I bought the multi pack of shakes and haven't found them to be not that bad after all! After so much time on them (10 days), they are going down easy! After all, it is only 200ml of liquid- 2 big gulps and its all done!!!