Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Pain Meds

1. getlownurse
    getlownurse
    Hi everyone,

I'm new to the group and still making my decision on a surgeon. I am in Dr. Quinones' corner on almost everything. The one exception is that I read he doesn't typically give narcotic pain meds. Can someone give some clarification on what he does give? I have had two c-sections and while I could have lived without the percocets, they certainly made the whole trauma of surgery much more pleasant.

I don't want to not use him solely on this issue, but I do want to know the full deal from past patients before I make a decision.

Thank you all for reading this and have a great week!

L
  2. Eleanorrose
    Eleanorrose
    Hello, I had surgery March 8th and I cannot believe that I don't have ANY pain!, NONE! As a matter of fact I stopped taking the pain meds
    within 3 days and I have not needed them at all.
    What they did give us was more then enough.
    Eleanor Rose
  3. zmdh39
    It has been about 6 months since I had my surgery, so don't quote me for sure on this, but I think they give you something like a tramadol, I would ask Henry to be sure. And is it not that they absolutely won't give narcotics, they just try to avoid it so that after the surgery, should anything unexpected pop up, the patient isn't so out of it, high on the big boy narcotics that they don't realize that there is something wrong. I was a little iffy about the pain thing as well, but what they give more than took care of the pain, and like Eleanorerose, I really didn't need anything above a childrens chewable pain killer after about day 3.
  4. Irmice
    Irmice
    Hi. I just had surgery MArch 14th. Honestly, I had no pain. I expected to have some but I had none. Dr. Q prescribed Tramadol for pain. I used it when I left the hospital 2 days and stopped since there was no need for it. Im feeling really good. Just getting adjusted to my new eating habit.
  5. imtad
    imtad
    From what I understand there are reasons for not giving heavy duty narcotics. Narcotics slow the healing process and they don't want you doped up. You have to walk to get the gas that they pump your belly up with OUT. A good amount of the discomfort post surgery is that gas. You have to get up and walk the halls. Falling down because of the heavy use of narcotics would probably not work well. I won't say there was NO pain but it was pretty manageable with the tramadol they gave me and sent me home with.
  6. getlownurse
    getlownurse
    Ok, so there is some type of pain med then, that makes me feel better. Thanks for your info, everyone!
  7. DragonsLoard
    @getlownurse - You will be given pain meds post-op Dr Q had to adjust my pain meds due to the amount of surgeries I have had. Once D Q adjusted my pain meds I was fine. I only took Tramadol for 2 day after my long flight home.
  8. Olga1o1
    Olga1o1
    Same here as Eleanor, I liked our pain meds, they gave me some sweeeet sleep. But when I got home I think I only took it two more times and was done. By the time you leave the hospital and get your meds you wont really need them all that much. I found that I TRULY only needed pain reducers the first two days after the surgery, after that it's just the food adjustment.
  9. Enfury8me
    Enfury8me
    I didn't have any pain except gas. Didn't need the pain meds.